Dual Battery Kit for Ford Ranger PXII

babs_69

Good Afternoon,

I'm looking at installing a dual battery kit for my Ranger. The only decent one I've come across is the KickAss Plug n Play with the DC-DC charger. In your opinion are there any other kits out there? Also, anyone had experience with the KickAss set up, good or bad?

Thank in advance.

Aza013

Been using the kickass kit for some time now with no problem.
I’m happy with the kit and the price of them.

Aza013

Running a 60L waeco fridge and a travel buddy oven.
Use a 150w solar blanket at camp to keep it topped up.

silkwood

Have you had "smart charge" (or whatever they are calling it this week) turned off? If not, why not? If so, why a DC-DC? Kick-Ass also do a decent VSR, cheaper and faster charging. I'm using a transferred 8yo VSR from my old Delica in the Ranger, working just fine. Lots of options, lots of opportunities to spend unnecessary $.

Neddysmith

Im using a Matson 150Amp VSR relay i got from Supercheap for about $99 for full kit including wiring. Was previously installed for 10yrs on my 91 hilux and now on my PX ranger, never had an issue with it and keeps the battery charged.

babs_69

Have you had "smart charge" (or whatever they are calling it this week) turned off? If not, why not? If so, why a DC-DC? Kick-Ass also do a decent VSR, cheaper and faster charging. I'm using a transferred 8yo VSR from my old Delica in the Ranger, working just fine. Lots of options, lots of opportunities to spend unnecessary $.

Is there a need to turn off the smart charger? I don't have any idea how this thing works.

silkwood

The alternator is set to minimally charge, part of the push for maximum fuel efficiency, apparently. You can have it turned off (which will affect your fuel economy by a bees dick) and improve your secondary battery charging. A dc-dc charger (or at least most) will overcome this to an extent, but you really are better off getting it switched off. If you do (Ford can do it, but so can you with the right equipment- see Ranger Mods) you can then opt for a simple, low-cost, effective VSR, though I opt to also top up the batteries with solar or a monthly 240v charger session.

drivesafe

With a Ford Ranger, once you turn off the SMART alternator function, you will have a charging capability equal to fitting a 100 amp DC/DC device.

Why would any sane person person fit a very small DC/DC device to a vehicle that literally has a builtin 100 amp DC/DC

drivesafe

Lot of people are fitting DC/DC devices, but few have any real idea how limiting these devices are.

They are not the optimum way to set up a dual battery system, they just come with the most advertising.