dual battery dcdc charger setup

Superdad

hi all

i have a CTEK DCDC charger but it is located behind the airfilter. This means it is getting bugger all air flow and keeps overheating thus not charging properly and has damaged the battery.

has anyone got the DCDC system working well and if so, where did you install the system?

Jaye

Seen alot of redarc's mounted behind the radiator grill etc. I would have thought it would be ok where it is as long as its not on the exhaust side. What temps do the specs say is ok?

Superdad

Vehicle is a V8 petrol 100.

I think the issue is that being a V8, the manifolds give off a tonne of heat on both sides so there is no escaping the heat.

i was thinking of mounting it in front of the radiator but wanted to know if anyone has done this and any issues? And where can i get a plate to attach it to ?

hiluxdriver

Mines located behind the centre console in the cab. Zero airflow there but no problems that I'm aware of touch wood. Only reason I put it there was it's not water proof and I don't want it covered in dust and crap that you get from the engine bay

shaun0

Mines mounted behind the grill adjacent to the battery its charging this is the best place for them assuming its water proof like the redarc is.

39987976_348432569030482_7357459959379918848_n.jpg

Do you like the ctek?
What does it actually do, as I’m a novice to all things electrical? I have a red arc isolated in my dual,battery set up and I guess it’s very basic and wanting to do something better. Would this be a better setup? Just want to power fridge, use so.ar to charge battery, camp without too much fear of flat batteries.....
Cheers

cam04

I like mine but it has a smartpass too. 'Better' is a double edged sword - a simple redarc VSR like what you have in an old school cruiser (in your avatar?) may well end up being better. They are pretty bullet proof. If you ran a multi stage home charger over the batteries every other month you'd be giving nothing away to a DC charger with your existing setup. I've not heard of a Ctec giving wrong voltage due to heat. They are temp compensated so when the battery hits 50 degrees they start backing off the charge current - that is a good thing for battery longevity.

Batts88

Do you like the ctek?
What does it actually do, as I’m a novice to all things electrical? I have a red arc isolated in my dual,battery set up and I guess it’s very basic and wanting to do something better. Would this be a better setup? Just want to power fridge, use so.ar to charge battery, camp without too much fear of flat batteries.....
Cheers
Just my opinion if your aux battery is getting charged correctly via your Red arc isolator I would leave it alone and not over complicate the set up. Adding solar with a solar regulator would be the only other thing I would look at whether it's fixed to a roof rack or a portable folding panel or blanket. Also a great feature of the Red arc isolator depending the model you have is that if you have solar on your aux battery it will also flow in reverse when the engine is off and keep both the aux and starter batteries topped up.

I have a Redarc BCDC charger/isolator on my 2 aux batteries and a solar panel fixed on the canopy roof it works fine but cost a lot to set up.

I have another solar panel with a basic solar regulator wired up to my starter battery which is a dual purpose battery running a fridge sometimes it works fine as well, is simple and cheap to set up. Personally I think there is little or no difference in efficency between the both set ups they both keep the batteries charged.

Last edited:

cam04

Also a great feature of the Red arc isolator depending the model you have is that if you have solar on your aux battery it will also flow in reverse when the engine is off and keep both the aux and starter batteries topped up.
For the sake of the discussion, the Ctec actually does this as well. They will also auto jump start the engine from the second battery if it senses it is required.

Has anyone found the IP rating of the C Tek?
I was looking at one to mount behind the grill but I thought they didn't have the water ingress protection required.
Red arc don't state theirs is IP66 (I think) but state that behind the grill is a preferred mounting location. Part of their marketing guff was their BCDC's had been used across the top end etc.
If moisture gets into your DCDC there's a possibility of battery damage.