Dual batteries / Deep Cycle Verus 2nd Starter / Controller Types

rexy

Am going to install a second battery in my GU patrol (3.0D) and was after some opinions, plan is to do it myself, looking at the redarc isolator.

questions- best spot to locate in the patrol (under bonnet). What type of battery to get for the auxillary battery. Anything else I should know?

Thanks Alex

bmurray2250

4x4 Earth Contributer
Hi Rexy

The isolator should go somewhere high in the engine bay preferably near the battery. Best thing is to look around for good space to install it.

As for the axillary battery, it is normally used to run fridges or items that draw power all the time. The common battery is a deep cycle but when I replaced my batteries in my Prado I changed to Supercharge battries Allrounder. This is a cracking and deep cycle battery in one. Supercharge Batteries - Car Batteries, Maintenance, Expanded Grid Technology

Hope this helps

russell1974

Am going to install a second battery in my GU patrol (3.0D) and was after some opinions, plan is to do it myself, looking at the redarc isolator.

questions- best spot to locate in the patrol (under bonnet). What type of battery to get for the auxillary battery. Anything else I should know?

Thanks Alex

Hey I just did my set up in my gu I have a 4.2 pit the battery behind the air box and the red arc on the firewall near the wiper motor its up high out of the way but fairly easy to get to if needed

Adventure guy

Yes definitely a deep cell for your auxiliary battery, look into a Calcium deep cell, as from memory they stand up the heat better than traditional deep cells

croozza

In regards to the second battery, that will depend on what you plan to use the second battery for, if it is for running a fridge then get a marine deep cycle, if it is for anything else then just use a normal battery, also, it would be wise to put the existing battery as the second battery and buy a new one for the starter battery.

rexy

Installed my second battery today, put the red arc on the firewall and bought a deep cycle battery which I installed behind the airbox. All up cost me about 400 I think. Tomorrows job is to run cable for rear power source. What size cable should I use for this?

Pure Yobbo

Installed my second battery today, put the red arc on the firewall and bought a deep cycle battery which I installed behind the airbox. All up cost me about 400 I think. Tomorrows job is to run cable for rear power source. What size cable should I use for this?

Depends what your are running. I run 3 sets down the back at once, Battery cable to (bloody huge not sure in sparky terms what size but the copper was 10mm in Diameter) for the anderson plug, 6mm cable as a heavy duty circuit I use that one for the fridge to ensure no voltage drop and I also swaped the factory point in the back to a new cable so it also runs off the second battery.

If your are keen they will all go down the chassis rail at once but it's interesting feeding them down. (3 cans of bourbon If I remember correctly)

I have my UHF, map lights, stereo, fridge points, all my 12 volt outlets and the anderson plug all running off the second battery. I have also set this up as an emergancy start so I can link both batteries by just pushing a button inside the cab and turning the key - good for when the wife leaves the lights on. I run a start battery (not - deep cycle) as my second battery.

I am doing the same job this weekend in my GQ so I can run my fridge etc up at LCMP next week end.

cloughcarib

What's the advantage of the Anderson plug opposed to any other plug-style connection? I had not seen them until recently, and now I see them on a lot of vehicles running boat winches.

Pure Yobbo

What's the advantage of the Anderson plug opposed to any other plug-style connection? I had not seen them until recently, and now I see them on a lot of vehicles running boat winches.

Hey mate

I use the anderson plug to charge the battery in the camper as we are travelling.

They are a easy connection for people with electric winches etc on ther boat trailers.

bmurray2250

4x4 Earth Contributer
Hey mate

I use the anderson plug to charge the battery in the camper as we are travelling.

They are a easy connection for people with electric winches etc on ther boat trailers.

Agree with Pure Yobbo

Go Anderson plug, better for current, cleaning and easy to replace if required. It is the standard plug that most auto electricians install for this purpose

skipper60

mate just want to know why you use a start battery for you second battery(this is what im using at the moment to to run my fridge). Iv had so many people tell me so many different batterys to use. just interested in your thoughts. thanks mate
Depends what your are running. I run 3 sets down the back at once, Battery cable to (bloody huge not sure in sparky terms what size but the copper was 10mm in Diameter) for the anderson plug, 6mm cable as a heavy duty circuit I use that one for the fridge to ensure no voltage drop and I also swaped the factory point in the back to a new cable so it also runs off the second battery.

If your are keen they will all go down the chassis rail at once but it's interesting feeding them down. (3 cans of bourbon If I remember correctly)

I have my UHF, map lights, stereo, fridge points, all my 12 volt outlets and the anderson plug all running off the second battery. I have also set this up as an emergancy start so I can link both batteries by just pushing a button inside the cab and turning the key - good for when the wife leaves the lights on. I run a start battery (not - deep cycle) as my second battery.

I am doing the same job this weekend in my GQ so I can run my fridge etc up at LCMP next week end.

bmurray2250

4x4 Earth Contributer
I had 2 starter batteries until recently, now have the Supercharge Allrounder which the best of both worlds

frosty

4x4 Earth Contributer
mate just want to know why you use a start battery for you second battery(this is what im using at the moment to to run my fridge). Iv had so many people tell me so many different batterys to use. just interested in your thoughts. thanks mate

I reckon Yobbo's had to many Zaps! :rolleyes: We've had this arguement a few times now. His theory is if you get a flat battery, the 2nd bat will start it. My theory is if ya get a flat battery, the deep cycle will also start it. And it will run all your accesories for much longer and the battery life is longer, providing you don't run it to flat too often.

My main battery died yonks ago. I started off the deep cycle for several months untill I could afford a new starter bat. The deep cycle battery is now 7 or so years old.

bmurray2250

4x4 Earth Contributer
Supercharge in Brisbane pricing is extremely good compared to the shop prices

28 Gardens Drive, Willawong QLD 4110

Brisbane 07 3711 8900

Pure Yobbo

Always have run 2 start battery's and they were cheap. I can also cycle them through the cars - ie new one is the duel and then the old one as the start and so on.

frosty

4x4 Earth Contributer
Always have run 2 start battery's and they were cheap. I can also cycle them through the cars - ie new one is the duel and then the old one as the start and so on.

Ya still makin no sense!:rolleyes:

Would'nt you like to last,,,, just a little bit longer??:D

croozza

One reason I can think of is if you run a deep cycle battery flat it, is useless as it will not recharge.
Another reason is if you run a winch off of it, a normal battery charges quicker so you will have more power in the battery giving full power to the winch and not burning the winch motor out.
One more reason is, some vehicles need two batteries to start and it is not advisable to use a deep cycle as a starting battery, it will do it but it is not good for it.

Pure Yobbo

One reason I can think of is if you run a deep cycle battery flat it, is useless as it will not recharge.
Another reason is if you run a winch off of it, a normal battery charges quicker so you will have more power in the battery giving full power to the winch and not burning the winch motor out.
One more reason is, some vehicles need two batteries to start and it is not advisable to use a deep cycle as a starting battery, it will do it but it is not good for it.

More good reasons to run 2 start battery's.

At the end of the day I have never really thought of running a deep cycle as a second battery - always just run 2 starts (this is the forth 4x4 I have done now) and never had a problem. Thats it no real big reason just how I have always done it.