Drone footage showing impact of the fires in East Gippsland

Patriot

Administrator
Here is some drone footage that shows the impact of the fires in East Gippsland.

The footage is pretty cool, with some thermal imagery of one of the fires. The imagery gives a great understanding of the impact of the fires. Damage is very extensive. One of the videos shows a bridge that has been damaged and another shows horses looking for forage. Over 100 kilometers of the Princes Highway were closed and the third video shows the damage that was done and the work that has been conducted to reopen the road.

The footage was captured by members of 9 Regiment, an Army Reserve Artillery unit based in St Kilda, that deployed members out across Victoria to support the community and other Government agencies in Operation Bushfire Assist.

I think it will be a long time before many of the smaller roads and tracks are reopened because of the damage of falling trees and branches.

Last edited:

Patriot

Administrator
Mainly targeting and surveillance, but in a situation like this, they come in very handy for assessing areas, particularly those that aren't very accessible.

MrPoopypants

Thanks for putting this up. The type of footage I haven't seen on the news. Devastating stuff, burnt to the waterline on the coast. I was also interested to see the highway and just why it was closed for so long.
Cheers
PP

Patriot

Administrator
Thanks for putting this up. The type of footage I haven't seen on the news. Devastating stuff, burnt to the waterline on the coast. I was also interested to see the highway and just why it was closed for so long.
Cheers
PP
The damage must have been massive for such a large part of it to be cleared. One of the huge dangers of the fire is trees falling down after the fire goes through, which is why they will have had to clear quite a lot of them.

MrPoopypants

The damage must have been massive for such a large part of it to be cleared. One of the huge dangers of the fire is trees falling down after the fire goes through, which is why they will have had to clear quite a lot of them.
Yeah, must have been incredibly bad. Saw reports that the army guys in their personnel carriers had some near misses with trees, while they were clearing them. The soldier said at one stage it took them all day to clear 30metres. Worrying thinking what footage of some creeks is going to look like after some of this rainfall.
G.

Albynsw

A mate was contracted to assist clearing the Princes Highway on the south coast and he said they were using heat guns to check the temperature of the tree butts and if they were over X temp ( can’t remember the figure) and within X metres of the road they would drop them as it meant they were still on fire internally further up the trunk and posed a danger

Albynsw

Right at the end of the clip they talk about the the lucky escape of brushtail rock wallabies. My father in-law has bread all of them here in sa and then gone and released in vic. Was a massive relief that the survived
Is that at the private zoo there?