Driving technique

Ron0z

The Jimny doesn't have a centre diff. Is that common on 4WDs?

Anyway, I quite like the idea. It means power is being directed to both front and rear axles simultaneously.

So, I'm new to off-road driving. I'll no doubt gain experience as I go, but I'd rather not gain that experience at the cost of a broken transmission by engaging 4WD inappropriately. The warnings are clear: never on the highway.

So, given the risk of damage by engaging 4WD on road surfaces that are perfectly OK for 2WD what's your practice when you take your car off road?

Here's a situation: You're on a track that's going up steep hills and down the other side that are just as steep but there are level sections between. So, it's obvious that the steep grades are so steep you engage 4WD, but if the horizontal sections present no challenge and run for some distance should you flick it back to 2WD?

Here's another: You're driving parallel to a creek. The track is pleasantly flat. Maybe undulating. Your Honda Civic would have no trouble at all on that section of track. But every now and again the track dips into a shallow pebbly water crossing. Do you flick it back to 2WD after you exit the creek?

boobook

I am pretty sure your Jimny is part time 4wd. Ie a transfer case but no diff. So yes it will get transmission wind up on bitumen.

Off road, it will be fine in 4wd. Dirt, rocks, sand, river crossings etc. Just not a sealed surface.

Have fun.