Dream 200

Bomber2012

Stay tuned
This will be interesting , are you planning on doing any med/hard tracks ?
I don't know what vehicle you're thinking of, but it's certainly not my GMC. The aircon is quite happily maintaining 20 degrees inside, with 42+ every day up here in the Pilbara at the moment. Electrics - 40,000km and not a single electrical issue, same with the transfer case.
And I know quite a few other owners who would also vouch for them.

So maybe you might need to get your facts right...

It's all to do with which conversion company you use - HSV/ASV are crap and just in it for the money. AVS and a couple of others do quality conversions.
My facts are solid Dave , I’m looking at that class of vehicle for my next vehicle and it’s not suited to HC travel (unless you want to travel the gravel roads) look on the US forums , these are major problems . I know your GMC is perfect for you but others don’t see it that way .

Bomber2012

Don't think I have ever seen a 200 in the high country either
Depends who you travel with , I travelled with Corney from Tom Groggin to Walhalla doing Pinnibar , Gibbo , Herne , Wombat , Cynthia , Zeka , Butcher Country , Burgounes etc , no bitumen . His reasonably stock 200 Excelled in the tight tracks . No comparison in my opinion , I’d love to see a GMC do that route but not holding my breathe .

Chatty

This will be interesting , are you planning on doing any med/hard tracks ?

My facts are solid Dave , I’m looking at that class of vehicle for my next vehicle and it’s not suited to HC travel (unless you want to travel the gravel roads) look on the US forums , these are major problems . I know your GMC is perfect for you but others don’t see it that way .
I'm a member of about 6 US forums, and none of them mention the problems you have.
And within the pretty tight Australian community these aren't common problems. The dealer who sold me ours, and who I have known for years and trust totally hasn't heard of these types of problems either.
So, I'm sorry, I don't think your facts are all that solid and that the problems are major issues. Otherwise they would be all over all the forums and would be common knowledge within the Australian community.

HC ? Hard Core? If so, I would actually agree, in stock form. But then no modern 4WD is really up to the hard core stuff without modification.
As our stands right now, I would happily take it across the Simpson - and would have done so already if it wasn't for work issues.
But there is no perfect vehicle - an awesome take-on-all-tracks 4WD wouldn't be a great long distance tow vehicle, for example. We always make compromises in our vehicle choices.

Biggest issue in some ways for me will be the lack of a snorkel - the bonnet lip air intake makes one difficult to fit.

In terms of tracks, we'll pick and choose - but I've never been one to drive a hard track just for bragging rights.

Chatty

Depends who you travel with , I travelled with Corney from Tom Groggin to Walhalla doing Pinnibar , Gibbo , Herne , Wombat , Cynthia , Zeka , Butcher Country , Burgounes etc , no bitumen . His reasonably stock 200 Excelled in the tight tracks . No comparison in my opinion , I’d love to see a GMC do that route but not holding my breathe .
I'd like to see an LC200 towing our van. Not holding my breath on that.
Our "perfect" vehicle is always a compromise.

Chatty

Yes We have taken std 4wds on the majority of these tracks over the years, When the tracks are in bad condition I wouldn’t recommend it but I am sure people have.

Just can’t see a Sierra negotiating those tracks, but maybe I am wrong.

as for the Parking it’s 100mm wider and 1m longer than a 200 series, can’t see that getting a park at our local shops unless it’s on the side of the road
Well then, for the last two years we must have parked at literally hundreds of suburban and country shopping centres with extraordinarily large car park spaces.
But, in fact, they have ranged from small to large. Yes, some are tighter than others, but we've never not been able to park.

Next time I'm in the area, I'll show you how to park one. At your local shops.

Chatty

845kg... I didn't realise it was so low! That's crazy. Even the triton is 950kg. How on earth could the Ram be less than my triton?!
Another reason we went for the GMC - 1,110 kg payload. (Actually it should be 1,140, but they reduce it by 30kg to stay under the 4.5t cap for a C licence)

Chatty

Chatty you are tripping if you think a GMC is a HC vehicle . I would love to be proven wrong .
Neither was our Pajero, according to all the knockers. Neither are most modern 4WDs without modification.
I've never claimed it to be hard core, it is a capable 4WD for the type of tasks we like to do. Flinders Ranges, for example. Some of the High Country tracks - happy to admit not all.

Bomber2012

I'm a member of about 6 US forums, and none of them mention the problems you have.
And within the pretty tight Australian community these aren't common problems. The dealer who sold me ours, and who I have known for years and trust totally hasn't heard of these types of problems either.
So, I'm sorry, I don't think your facts are all that solid and that the problems are major issues. Otherwise they would be all over all the forums and would be common knowledge within the Australian community.

HC ? Hard Core? If so, I would actually agree, in stock form. But then no modern 4WD is really up to the hard core stuff without modification.
As our stands right now, I would happily take it across the Simpson - and would have done so already if it wasn't for work issues.
But there is no perfect vehicle - an awesome take-on-all-tracks 4WD wouldn't be a great long distance tow vehicle, for example. We always make compromises in our vehicle choices.

Biggest issue in some ways for me will be the lack of a snorkel - the bonnet lip air intake makes one difficult to fit.

In terms of tracks, we'll pick and choose - but I've never been one to drive a hard track just for bragging rights.
Hahaha I missed this , You can be as sorry as you want mate , maybe it’s time to branch out from your 6 US owners forums , take off the rose coloured glasses and do some real research . Either that or I missed the part that said the GMC was the best vehicle ever built , can do any terrain and tow a locomotive .

HC , stands for high country , but you are right most tracks (not dirt roads) will be HARD CORE for the GMC and god only knows where you could find yourself stranded , standing next to the car crying about the dents and scratches .

But looking forward to your trip report from the HIgh Country , It will be interesting .

Last edited:
Reactions: phs

discomatt

Are there any hard tracks left in the high country?
They always have the crap graded out of them or the hard ones they don't want to grade the pricks cut down a 100 year old habitat tree to bloke it off.
Haven't been able to find a track in the high country for about 6 years that was even remotely close to hard.
As mentioned all cars are a compromise and it depends on what you want to compromise to what you buy which is just as well or we would all be driving very beige Toyota's which for many would be a massive compromise

phs

Are there any hard tracks left in the high country?
They always have the crap graded out of them or the hard ones they don't want to grade the pricks cut down a 100 year old habitat tree to bloke it off.
Haven't been able to find a track in the high country for about 6 years that was even remotely close to hard.
As mentioned all cars are a compromise and it depends on what you want to compromise to what you buy which is just as well or we would all be driving very beige Toyota's which for many would be a massive compromise

Come on Matt you must not be looking hard enough! There are some that don’t get graded

and a lot of the others stay rough for a fair while until they are Graded

Just one well known track that never gets touched is the main line up Webber’s spur, but there are heaps a lot people don’t want it share locations

A fair few these guys do on a regular basis

Rusty Panels

Hahaha I missed this , You can be as sorry as you want mate , maybe it’s time to branch out from your 6 US owners forums , take off the rose coloured glasses and do some real research . Either that or I missed the part that said the GMC was the best vehicle ever built , can do any terrain and tow a locomotive .

HC , stands for high country , but you are right most tracks (not dirt roads) will be HARD CORE for the GMC and god only knows where you could find yourself stranded , standing next to the car crying about the dents and scratches .

But looking forward to your trip report from the HIgh Country , It will be interesting .
One of my old work vehicles, they weigh 141 tonnes that's without the 6,600 litres of diesel. Good luck towing that!

Pic_0703_062.jpg

boobook

One of my old work vehicles, they weigh 141 tonnes that's without the 6,600 litres of diesel. Good luck towing that!

View attachment 69528

You can't beat a good ol 2 stroke GM flat out at 900 RPM. Is that at Warranheip, Vic?

The only thing better is if it is an old S class on the Mineral Sands in Vic, Iluka never maintained them properly and you could hear the exhaust thumping from miles away. Also they spewed big black beautiful diesel exhaust into the sky. Sadly I don't think it runs any more - happy to be proven wrong.

This is one of my favourite youtube clips.

Last edited:

Rusty Panels

You can't beat a good ol 2 stroke GM flat out at 900 RPM. Is that at Warranheip, Vic?

The only thing better is if it is an old S class on the Mineral Sands in Vic, Iluka never maintained them properly and you could hear the exhaust thumping from miles away. Also they spewed big black beautiful diesel exhaust into the sky. Sadly I don't think it runs any more - happy to be proven wrong.

This is one of my favourite youtube clips.

It's on the NSW Illawarra escarpment just above Dombarton. It was a grain train I took to the Pt Kembla Grain terminal.
81 Class, 3,000 Horsepower, Turbo-Supercharged V16 GM Diesel. Approximately 750 Cubic inches per cylinder.

discomatt

Come on Matt you must not be looking hard enough! There are some that don’t get graded

and a lot of the others stay rough for a fair while until they are Graded

Just one well known track that never gets touched is the main line up Webber’s spur, but there are heaps a lot people don’t want it share locations

A fair few these guys do on a regular basis

I think I know a couple of those tracks , if I am right at least one is seasonally closed, I could have the wrong track in mind.
Yep they can be hard when wet, I must get out and try and find some harder stuff because everything I have seen recently has been graded , don't know of a couple of tracks they did. Wish I did but understand why they refuse to name them.
Even the Deep Creek tracks , which are seasonally closed have had the ledges and off camber bits dozed out.
Last time I did one of the deep creek tracks a group in front of us spent an hour winching and trying to get up a hill after coming out of the creek.
We had lunch while waiting for them, we then all drove straight up without to much fuss, a lot depends on experience.