Drawer fridge insulation

I have just setup. New Kings drawer fridge, works well, size is good, and works well.
I was going to to put some rubber backed carpet on the top, that work well for a bit insulation?

discomatt

All the tests I have seen for fridge insulation covers indicate that covers actually decrease the efficency of a good quality fridge not improve it, they are a gimmick, I can't see a piece of carpet making any difference at all

cam04

I have just setup. New Kings drawer fridge, works well, size is good, and works well.
I was going to to put some rubber backed carpet on the top, that work well for a bit insulation?
Shouldn’t need insulation. If it needs insulating there will be condensation forming on the outside and it that is happening i’d say carpet is going to kill the fridge case.
I went and looked at them in the shop which wasn’t air conditioned. The display one was running at -10 and didn’t have any condensation. They appear to be quite well built.

Chatty

Shouldn’t need insulation. If it needs insulating there will be condensation forming on the outside and it that is happening i’d say carpet is going to kill the fridge case.
I went and looked at them in the shop which wasn’t air conditioned. The display one was running at -10 and didn’t have any condensation. They appear to be quite well built.
If the humidity is low you won't get condensation. I was having major problems with both our car fridges with condensation (and mould growth) earlier this year in Perth and Darwin. Adding a layer of foil backed insulating foam to both fridge covers solved that problem.

smitty_r51

All the tests I have seen for fridge insulation covers indicate that covers actually decrease the efficency of a good quality fridge not improve it, they are a gimmick, I can't see a piece of carpet making any difference at all
The tests I saw were with solid bags on an Engel from memory with no holes in the bag for ventilation etc... Always going to make the fridge work harder if it can't evacuate the heat.

Chatty

The tests I saw were with solid bags on an Engel from memory with no holes in the bag for ventilation etc... Always going to make the fridge work harder if it can't evacuate the heat.
All our fridge covers have mesh holes at least as big as the vents in the fridge.
No way known they would make the fridge perform any worse - possibly they may not improve performance, but at least they protect the fridge from damage.

cam04

If the humidity is low you won't get condensation. I was having major problems with both our car fridges with condensation (and mould growth) earlier this year in Perth and Darwin. Adding a layer of foil backed insulating foam to both fridge covers solved that problem.
Brisbane just prior to Christmas. They had excellent conditions to show any weakness. I went there to shoot holes in a mate’s plan and came away impressed with the fridge and with an arm full of gear haha.

The min reason I was asking, as the drawer fridge top is black it might attract more heat, especially if there is a bit of sun getting thru the tinted windows

ahmedroyc

The display one was running at -10 and didn’t have any condensation. They appear to be quite well built.

Speed Test

Last edited:
I have had the fridge for six months now, works very well, very happy with it, I placed a sheet of coreflute on the top with a mat over the top and all is going well

Albynsw

I am currently running an Evacool 40 litre drawer fridge and it is fantastic, I also have a 80 litre upright that my wife loves more than me ( so it will be staying) which is even easier to use but has to work a bit harder than the drawer fridge at holding temp