Download of track to GPS file

atowns

Hi, Can anyone confirm I'm doing this right. I'm trying to download tracks to a GPS file for Garmin .gdb, however once it's downoaded & I open up the file, all I get is one waypoint normally the same name as the track rather than the actual track points, so isn't that much use. :( Am I doing something wrong or is it just because this is all that's been loaded onto the site by the author? Cheers Alex

4X4

Hi, Can anyone confirm I'm doing this right. I'm trying to download tracks to a GPS file for Garmin .gdb, however once it's downoaded & I open up the file, all I get is one waypoint normally the same name as the track rather than the actual track points, so isn't that much use. :( Am I doing something wrong or is it just because this is all that's been loaded onto the site by the author? Cheers Alex

Hi Alex,

What track file are you trying to download. I notice that you only have 2 posts.
You may need to increase your posts before trying again.

atowns

Hi, the track files around Tasmania, for example Mount McCall. I've uploaded half a dozen tracks myself onto 4x4 Earth, so can download the gps tracks and 2 from NSW have had the full track in the gdb download, but the last batch only had one waypoint in each gdb I downloaded, so wanted to check if there should be more or if that is all that was uploaded! Cheers

4X4

Alex,

There is no track file to download for Mount McCall. The red pin that indicates no track data has been submitted, it is only a marker to where the track is actually located.

Wahroonga Farm

I have the exact same problem for Googs track in SA? :eek: Track added by Vossy.

Some weeks ago it displayed a track on the map. I suspect track data has been vaporised??

A single marker pin shows up deep in the great southern ocean?

So does this mean I can load my own log of Googs?

Last edited:

atowns

Ah... ok so when you read more on the track, if it's not showing the track on the asociated map then there isn't one to download.. ta

Patriot

Administrator
Hey guys,

Are there any other tracks that people know of that had a track log but are only a point now?
Gavan will look at the problem on Monday. We are also going to try and remove the download option for tracks that only have a single point.

Cheers,

James

Dirtbag

I have the exact same problem for Googs track in SA? :eek: Track added by Vossy.

Some weeks ago it displayed a track on the map. I suspect track data has been vaporised??

A single marker pin shows up deep in the great southern ocean?

So does this mean I can load my own log of Googs?
Yes I downloaded the same track with the same result.
I uploaded my own track log a few weeks ago....track is showing up on the map.
154400_Capture_01042009_204156.jpg

So I presume the GPS log is actually there.

I actually find the upload/download of tracks on this site to be a bit awkward and messy.

Cheers
Glenn

4x4admin

Administrator
Staff member
Ok, I've made a couple of changes to help clear the confusion (that i created!).

On the download track page, if there is no gps track to download it will tell you in big red writing. I don't think we should remove the functionality to download just the starting point marker, as some people may prefer something over nothing.

For Googs Track, I have merged vossy's into Dirtbags. It looks like vossy's never had a track file associated with it, but Dirtbag's has.

I actually find the upload/download of tracks on this site to be a bit awkward and messy.
I do apologise for the cumbersome method for uploading trackfiles. We do intend to rework this and make is more usable sometime in the future.

cheers,
Gav