Dooms Day looming ~ apparently.

Joe Fury

G'day Adventurers.

Here I am wondering about the possible onslaught of Covid-19, or Coronavirus affecting my life. I say 'my life' in a very as a matter of fact way simply because there is a huge turn around of humanity, which occurs on a very regular basis just a few kilometres away from where I am situated ~ right now.

The human turn around is at the Newman airport when there is a mass exodus of Fi Fo people who are then carted off to whatever mining operation they are contracted to, for whatever shift rotation they have been signed into, some of these 457 visa minions are on site for up to six straight weeks.

Anyway, I was at the airport offloading someone who was flying out of town, I had a long hard look at the human tide, most coming but many going back to what ever part of the world they call home, many of these mine worker minions are from China, Korea and New Zealand with a smattering of loud foul mouthed Aussie Bogans. I trust you won't judge me too harshly on the Aussie Bogan remark, but their attitude and language was deplorable in such a public place, I don't and would not give a rats about it especially if it was on a mine site.

I started thinking about the snotty nosed Korean, dragging his snout over his work shirt sleeve, he'll be in a seat on the plane possibly next to a country man of his, or maybe next to or very close by my mate on the same flight, I don't know, but even a short 2 hour transit flight to Perth is a mighty long time in a closed circuit environment such as a plane.

I thought about how and where I live and as to how much I (we) depend on the staples of life, most of which is sourced from the local super market, I don't grow jack diddly in a gardening sense but there is always food on hand, be it fresh, frozen or canned/preserved and plenty of dry goods too.

I'm not sure how long I (we) could survive on what we have right now, though I do know I have about 10 to 12 days worth of tucker in the Cruiser, this is mostly dehydrated packaged foods, soups, nuts, muesli bars, tinned foods of varying varieties, beans, peas, beetroot, corn etc, these canned goods get used regularly so they are reasonably fresh stock, there is a reasonable stock of human food in the caravan too, so my guess is about 40 days worth of food for two adults at a pinch. We could live relatively well if the caravan could be loaded smartly enough so it's still fit for purpose, it has a reasonable 'off grid' power source in Solar and generator capacity, though having enough petrol on hand might be a challenge.

My guess is that fuel supplies in general would be fairly quickly limited as Australia's fuel reserves would be locked down for Military and other essential government agencies, everyone out side of these can go to hell if the supply chain has been compromised, that's a given especially for those of us out in the Mulga, just a couple of weeks ago, the local super markets ~ IGA and Woolies started to look a tad under stocked, seeing there was no road freight in or out of town due to flooding and road/highway closures and this was just a tropical low dumping some much appreciated rain ~ Mr Supply Chain had no solution.

So, my question is ~ how would YOU fare if the proverbial SHTF scenario actually happens, do you even care?

Safe travels : Joe

Last edited:

itlldoo

I'm no full time prepper ! but am a good grower have good seed stock from past growing adventures so i would be able to last a while with out the shops but also means i would become one of those people that don't eat red meat, just don't have the room to grow meat, the four chooks in the back yard won't go far but the eggs are good and river isn't far for a feed of fish, I brew my own beer and Bourban so that's sorted, back up genii is there but fuel ( petrol and diesel)would be a concern, solar's on but no battery back up , Water, I can store 40,000 that would last a little bit.
I guess i would do ok cause i have the tools to fix pretty much anything, things mite not look the business but normally operational and functional
main thing would be mental flexibility, that is something i have taught my kids,.............. (thinking) yep my family would survive !
I do care ! but what can i do about it other than deal with it when it happens,
These days borders are a place you can put a toll and collect revenue, it is not something that keeps locals and there way of life, SAFE !

be safe Joe,
as it stands mate, do your shopping out of busy time, be smart! avoid the crowds.

ps: how long do roasted coffee beans store for ?

Colly18

Hi Joe, I don't see the Covid 19 corona virus as a "end of world" prepper situation, so not a SHTF situation. I'm guessing once the coronavirus is fully "out of the can" and has spreaded worldwide (I guess that won't take long), travel and trade restrictions will be lifted and it will be back to business as usual. Given, from what I can glean on the internet, the fatality rate for the current coronavirus outbreak is approx double that of influenza and half that of SARS; so if one is in reasonably good health all should be OK(?)
Having said that, why look for trouble/infection? It would be interesting to know what BHP-Billiton's take is on the issue/what actions they are taking.

typhoeus

Keeping your immune system in good nick is a priority. That means lots of fresh foods, and that would be hard in a lockdown situation. However if you know your local vegetation, you can survive and thrive. My better half is a herbalist, nutritionist and ND, so she can cook up a meal out of weeds! . So information about this would become important. Whats edible, toxic or nutritious. Would be valuable knowlefge as well as the usual hunting/fishing skills. And i would guess not many, even on this forum would have well honed skills in hunting and preparing , and preserving meat. . . Fishing maybe. . So , knowledge is the most important asset in a survival situation.

Kippie

Today it's the corona virus. From the published numbers it appears to have a 2-3% morality rate. Not so bad. But the spread rate is astonishing, so a lot more people worldwide will be infected so the total death toll could be high. Next time the virus of that day may be more fatal and have the same spread rate. Who knows. As a nation I believe that fuel stores are our weakest link. We are supposed to have 90 days of fuel, but some reports published late last year put the number at two weeks or so. With no fuel there will be no food distribution. The stocks in the local shops are probably only good for one or two days.

It would be prudent to develop some sort of contingency plan to keep you going for a couple of weeks, perhaps some months.

Not sure how long roasted coffee beans would last. Not long in our house, we're addicts! But we have a 3 month supply, maybe longer if we ration it. Heaven forbid!

Warby

From today’s IMT update meeting where I work.. apparently 3.4% mortality rate globally, 1.4% if you exclude China.

Choook

Has China been up front with it's reporting of infection and death numbers? Me thinks not. But I still don't see it as the pandemic that the world needs to cull the global population and stablise the planet.
As for survival, find a water souce and live nearby if the land is even semi arable, a couple of carrots planted and let go to seed yields more carrots a couple of potatoes planted yields more potatoes. Peas are seeds as is corn. Hunt and fish. I'll survive.

Triton14

Well @Joe Fury when you look at whats happening atm people who laugh at those shows like dooms day preppers might think again.
I think its only smart to be in a certain state of readiness & if that means having supplies/water etc tucked away then those who are prepared will more than likely be among the survivors.

When anything like this happens, being the somewhat pessimist I am I think of these 2 movies

It can absolutely happen & without sounding like a raving luny this sort of thing & a possible asteroid impact on earth would be the 2 most pressing or concerning events that could lead to our extinction!

Everything in movies comes true...................eventually :p

We are but a spec of dust in this universe, this galaxy!!

Dont forget, not long ago Spanish flu in 1918-1920 killed upwards of 100 million people.

Sure we are better equipped to deal with this sort of thing but it would only take a mutated version of any virus to cause the same damage.

Have a nice evening :D

Joe Fury

I'm no full time prepper ! but am a good grower have good seed stock from past growing adventures so i would be able to last a while with out the shops but also means i would become one of those people that don't eat red meat, just don't have the room to grow meat, the four chooks in the back yard won't go far but the eggs are good and river isn't far for a feed of fish, I brew my own beer and Bourban so that's sorted, back up genii is there but fuel ( petrol and diesel)would be a concern, solar's on but no battery back up , Water, I can store 40,000 that would last a little bit.
I guess i would do ok cause i have the tools to fix pretty much anything, things mite not look the business but normally operational and functional
main thing would be mental flexibility, that is something i have taught my kids,.............. (thinking) yep my family would survive !
I do care ! but what can i do about it other than deal with it when it happens,
These days borders are a place you can put a toll and collect revenue, it is not something that keeps locals and there way of life, SAFE !

be safe Joe,
as it stands mate, do your shopping out of busy time, be smart! avoid the crowds.

ps: how long do roasted coffee beans store for ?

Joe Fury

G'day Todd
I'm not a prepper not by any stretch but I do know how to survive, with living off of what ever resources are around me at the time, I hunt and I fish, the shopping angle and crowds scenario is just part of life, even in a 'one horse' town like Newman.
I appreciate your views and it's always good to learn just that little more too.

Joe Fury

Hi Joe, I don't see the Covid 19 corona virus as a "end of world" prepper situation, so not a SHTF situation. I'm guessing once the coronavirus is fully "out of the can" and has spreaded worldwide (I guess that won't take long), travel and trade restrictions will be lifted and it will be back to business as usual. Given, from what I can glean on the internet, the fatality rate for the current coronavirus outbreak is approx double that of influenza and half that of SARS; so if one is in reasonably good health all should be OK(?)
Having said that, why look for trouble/infection? It would be interesting to know what BHP-Billiton's take is on the issue/what actions they are taking.

G'day Tony
I hope my initial post did not come across as me being a worried about the end of humanity, far from it, but I am curious as to how my fellow Earthlings might see this Covit-19 situation.
I'm not too sure about the BHP angle, but the mining industry as a collective would only be concerned about not being able to sell their product to China and the Western Australian state government would only be genuinely concerned about the loss of revenue from the miners, the Fi Fo 457 visa minions I mentioned previously were Roy Hill Mine labeled.
I can only speculate they are medically fit for travel/work before they land in Australia.

Joe Fury

Has China been up front with it's reporting of infection and death numbers? Me thinks not. But I still don't see it as the pandemic that the world needs to cull the global population and stablise the planet.
As for survival, find a water souce and live nearby if the land is even semi arable, a couple of carrots planted and let go to seed yields more carrots a couple of potatoes planted yields more potatoes. Peas are seeds as is corn. Hunt and fish. I'll survive.

I watched 4 Corners and Q/A on tele last Monday night, the only thing I got from these two ABC programs, is that the Central Government of China didn't respond adequately in the first instance of the creditable alert to the virus and that they have a very loyal Communist Party Member who was fielding questions in an official capacity, I believe he is from the Chinese Embassy, based in Canberra, he said a lot of things, didn't answer any question in a direct way and quantified it all as being a part of a 'big jigsaw' ~ Chinese diplomat speak.

greysrigging

Dunno why so much song and dance about Corona virus......we've had a fricken Hilux virus here for more than 40 years.......;)

Colly18

The current coronavirus outbreak reminds me of my early uni days. I did a 'comparative societies' (sociology) elective subject run by a Scottish professor. He was an enthusiastic, gregarious type of guy. In chatting about the development of the human race, inevitably we got around to discussing disasters such as the Spanish Flu, and he made it well clear that eventually similar would happen again, noting the inevitable transfer/jumping of viruses from animal species to infect humans. This was in 1984. At the same time he let us know that the Soviet Union communist regime was due to fail in the not too distant future (and the Berlin Wall came down in 1989). Interesting guy!, who we thought was committed to some strange (maybe?) ideas at the time, but he knew his stuff!

shanegtr

You only have to look at how many planes are currently in the air to realise how quickly a virus could move around the world if left to its own with no containment:
Capture.JPG

And Australia would be well and truly screwed if our fuel supply was cut off - apparently 2 weeks in reserve. From the below linked news report:
In its latest review of Australia's liquid-fuel security, the Department of Environment and Energy found Australia had reserves of 18 days of petrol, 22 days of diesel and 23 days of jet fuel.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-09-19/australia-remains-vulnerable-to-running-out-of-fuel/11527492

madmonk

I found this online map tracking Coronavirus COVID-19 Global Cases by Johns Hopkins a few days ago. Using the data provided there, I started a table to track the recovery progress. Sure the data is only a few days old, but it does seem to indicate that recovery rates are climbing a lot quicker than the fatalities or numbers of new cases.

DEATHSRECOVEREDSTILL INFECTED
DATECases% GrowthNo.%No.%No.%
24/02/2020​
78985024693.13%2339329.62%5312367.26%
25/02/2020​
795530.7226283.30%2521531.70%5171065.00%
26/02/2020​
804131.0827083.37%2790434.70%4980161.93%
27/02/2020​
813221.1327703.41%3032237.29%4823059.31%

Rusty Panels

The following may be handy to remember when the Zombies start to rise!

aliens.jpg

Cross out the words Space Aliens and insert Zombies. You get the idea!

Last edited:

Warby

I found this online map tracking Coronavirus COVID-19 Global Cases by Johns Hopkins a few days ago. Using the data provided there, I started a table to track the recovery progress. Sure the data is only a few days old, but it does seem to indicate that recovery rates are climbing a lot quicker than the fatalities or numbers of new cases.

DEATHSRECOVEREDSTILL INFECTED
DATECases% GrowthNo.%No.%No.%
24/02/2020​
78985024693.13%2339329.62%5312367.26%
25/02/2020​
795530.7226283.30%2521531.70%5171065.00%
26/02/2020​
804131.0827083.37%2790434.70%4980161.93%
27/02/2020​
813221.1327703.41%3032237.29%4823059.31%

The chart in the bottom right of the dashboard for that tool (I have it open fulltime on my desktop at work at present...) tells the same story pretty clearly... Green bars are recovered cases reported per day, red bars are new cases reported per day. The last few days do show a worrying shift in the trend though, with new cases trending back upwards.

1582763735967.png