Domain names & email hosting: help needed from IT experts

Lil_Miss

So here's the scenario: I'm setting up a small business which needs a domain name and email address, website will come later.

I will be purchasing a Mac computer and MS office suite to run on it.

So, I figured I need to register a domain name. I have been recommended crazy domains but read bad reviews, but these relate to email hosting so is it still ok to register a domain name thru them or can you recommend another company?

Do I need an email hosting service or can I do this from settings in my Mac?

If I need an email hosting service, can you recommend a company to use?

Can I use a different email hosting company and domain name company?

Later on when I need a website, can you recommend a company to host this?

Thanks for your help in advance and feel free to PM me instead.

Cheers, Lil

chris_stoffa

4x4 Earth Contributer
Have used Crazy Domains for 3 years and two businesses, mainly for email, once set up works a treat

( It's the Mac that I would be more worried about :D:D )

Last edited:

mac_man_luke

Cant really go too far wrong with who you register your domain with as its all one system so its not like one provider will have better uptime than another. Just buy on price. I believe go daddy do AU domains now and they are generally cheap.

You will need a web / email host (best value and easiest to buy as one)

I run a web hosting company AusDatahost and would be happy to help you out. Send me a PM if interested.

Swaggie

Have used Crazy Domains for 3 years and two businesses, mainly for email, once set up works a treat

( It's the Mac that I would be more worried about :D:D )

Crazy domains is great, also check whether they use Aussie servers rather than overseas...

Goodluck with your business..

Lil_Miss

What's wrong with Macs? :D :D

Thanks Mac man Luke: do you do email hosting or just web?

Thanks Swaggie.... So much to learn!!!:eek:

Chris: what is this cloud blah blah that u refer too? Is that for email hosting?

Sorry for all the dumb questions!

JC807

i've had my domain and email address for my business for nearly 8 years using web city, and I have a mac.

twisty

A bit closer to home for you (Melbourne). I use this mob for my private site. I'm happy, so far. Has everything you want I think. Another option anyway...

ps. I'm no expert!

Last edited:

DrewXT

I use GoDaddy for domain registration, and Hosting Bay (Melbourne based) as the provider who does the web hosting (and email is on Google Apps)...

I used to do this for a living, and this combination is one I find works very well...

Outlook.com can be easily subsisted for Google Apps...

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

rainsey

Another vote for Crazydomains. Been using them now for around 5 or so year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

chris_stoffa

4x4 Earth Contributer
What's wrong with Macs? :D :D
Thanks Mac man Luke: do you do email hosting or just web?
Thanks Swaggie.... So much to learn!!!:eek:
Chris: what is this cloud blah blah that u refer too? Is that for email hosting?
Sorry for all the dumb questions!

No dumb questions only unasked questions.

I don't like Macs for lots of reasons - each to what suits their purpose
Its the address for the server for my Crazy domain email , so Yes

Cheers

Lil_Miss

Thanks Chris, I've bitten the bullet and registered some domains with crazy domains. Geez they try to up sell like 4 different products before checkout. Half of them I didn't understand so I've properly ticked "no" to something I should have ticked "yes" to! The privacy blah blah stuff really confused me as to whether or not I needed it! Oh well!

Last edited:

chris_stoffa

4x4 Earth Contributer
Thanks Chris, I've bitten the bullet and registered some domains with crazy domains. Geez they try to up sell like 4 different products before checkout. Half of them I didn't understand so I've properly ticked "no" to something I should have ticked "yes" to! The privacy blah blah stuff really confused me as to whether or not I needed it! Oh well!

Some of those options may be useful to you, if in doubt ask the forum , some will or will not have taken up those options. There are enough here to assist.

If you are only using the email via one PC/Mac you shouldn't have too many difficulties

Step by Step destructions are here

Australia domain name and web hosting help

Select your Mac email and print then follow them- if you have access to anyone else that has set up an email account anywhere else ( mac or otherwise ) grab them with their basic knowledge and the destructions it should be a snap

Its when you start using your iPhone , Ipad or other devices to get your email that it can get a little tricky BUT their info is pretty good. Just make sure you dot your coms and tick your usernames and passwords in your setups - write them down so that you know what they are and so there is no confusion or "did I ??" in the setup process.

mail@lillmiss.com.au is usually only a 3min jobbie :) once you have your account details and decide on your user names and passwords.

happy emailing :D

BTW, if you ring them expect to wait 15-20 minutes on hold but once you do get thru they are pretty good at solving issues for you.

Last edited:

Aaron Schubert

It doesn't really matter who you register the domain with. I use namecheap. Hostgator are great for hosting. You should pay the extra $3 per domain to 'hide' it each year, otherwise people can easily look up your address etc.

I'd suggest you look at wordpress - easy to use, very powerful and it has the ability to do everything you'd ever need to do. Oh, and its free!

Aaron

Aaron Schubert

Don't stress; it takes 2 minutes to login to your domain registrar, purchase whois and logout again. Feel free to send me a PM if you want any help.

Chris, it does depend on the application; a lot of websites run without an ABN

Aaron

chris_stoffa

4x4 Earth Contributer
Aaron, that I know, but the ABN site itself probably lists address detail.

Lill Miss may have provided an address when she applied for the ABN in the first place

Many people have no idea that the ABN site exists

Aaron Schubert

I agree that the ABN site shares details that people often don't know about. My point was that a large number of websites are not connected to an ABN, and therefore you can't look them up that way.

Aaron