Does my Landcruiser have ABS?

madmonk

I have a 1997 Toyota Landcruiser wagon GXL (Automatic) with the 1FZ-FE petrol engine. I am pretty sure that it doesn't have ABS as I can't see any ABS lights on the dash when I start it. However in the engine bay fuse box there is a 60 amp fuesable link present in the ABS position (as indicated by the legend on the fuse box cover).

Short of slamming on the brakes, is there another way I can determine if my cruiser has ABS?

cam04

Check your front wheels, there will be a plastic encased elec wire going into the back of the hubs, and the pump should be on the driver's side engine bay side wall about half way down if I remember correctly. They didn't all get ABS I think it was part of a safety option 'pack' in '97 on the GXL's. Long time ago now. If the ABS light isn't lighting up it won't be working/installed. Fastest way to tell is when towing in the rain you slide straight up the arse of the car in front with both feet on the brake - Early Toyota ABS in 80/105 series was pretty woeful. We always pulled the fuse when towing on sand or in the wet, it gave you zero pedal to play with.

dabbler

So would a fuse be present even if the ABS option wasn't installed?
Unlikely from the factory because even though Toyota love to use a full harness for potential extras and options they don't waste money on unused fuses and switches.

Besides, no-one knows what previous owners have done before you so a fuse presence isn't really indicative (it sounds like a new acquisition ?).

Of course, you could pull the fuse and see what warning lights appear. Mac-
_man and Cam have given the best advice.

dabbler

Most ABS will activate with normal brake action on mis-matched surfaces. Sandy, gravelly even wet tar, no need to slam on the brakes just keep pressing and the pedal will shudder under your foot.

madmonk

To be honest, I never thought that I had ABS. It wasn't until I was reviewing my spare parts and realised that there were electrical components critical for the engine to operate (i.e. the EFI main relay, the fusible link and the AM1 50A fuse) that I didn't carry in my toolbox. This led to the realisation that not all fuses are the standard blade types and that there was a circuit called ABS, hence my question.

Petunia

Jack up the left rear tyre, place an axle stand under it, remove the tyre, pop the bonnet and have a bloody look for anything remotely suggested that has a brake line going in, then close bonnet and refit the left rear wheel. Place in spare parts a nominal figure between one to nine fuses to replace said fuse if it happens to blow at any time in the future.