Do you think Lake Eyre will fill?

TimNWVic

Been a fair bit of rain in SE NT and SW Qld. Has it been enough to get to Lake Eyre?

I was half planning a Simpson trip this winter but have decided I won't have time to prep myself or the near new ute - but if there's water in Lake Eyre I'll try to get to that as a shakedown run instead. Maybe home to Mildura via Camerons Corner if the roads are passable.

Last edited:

boobook

I doubt it. I think the rain is too far east.

This is a great website to watch the floods come down. It's updated daily and you can watch the river fronts heading into lake Eyre if they come.

The rivers and lakes will turn dark blue, and the flood plains will turn green. Amaizing.

It's a bit cloudy still but when the cloud clears you can see it unfold. You can zoom in and out and go forward or back a year or more. It's set to about a week ago right now.

Baggs71

Can we keep this topic going each day if it starts to fill?....if it does ill do a mercy dash to the station and head up to the neck

TimNWVic

Thanks Boobook. What a brilliant resource, I'll keep an eye on that site and no doubt use if for lots of other things.

I'll also watch the Lake Eyre Yacht club site, seems fairly up to date.

dabbler

This rainfall event is not restricted to the east of Qld. There's plenty of water flowing in the Cooper and Diamantina systems. The Cooper is far higher than this time in 2019 when Lake Eyre filled. Although, there were two rain and flood events close to each other prior to Easter that year.

It wouldn't surprise me to see Lake Eyre fill this year.

Petunia

I'm going with no, not fill, might get some water, but not fill.

Lake Eyre water comes from Georgina west of Mt Isa, Diamantina east of Mt Isa, Thompson & Barcoo south west of Townsville that flow into the Cooper.
The Barcoo is flowing with minor flood level at Winton [around just under 3Mtrs and steady] yet Jundah is rising at around 1.9Mtrs, so there is downstream flow there.

While there was widespread rain across the lower parts of Qld that may cause the rivers to flow, the upper parts of the catchment system have not seen enough to sustain the inflow into Lake Eyre. Some of the previous accounts of various rivers are they were up to 40klm wide, that needs an ex tropical cyclone to settle between Townsville and Mt Isa before moving south.

I would hope to be proved wrong, but this is my opinion. :cool:

peterfermtech

Watched it try to fill in 2019 on the NASA site and BOM river levels. From those the only positive I can see is the river beds aren't totally dry like 2019.

Baggs71

Thays a positive...if the north lake floods and into the neck im 100% doing a sprint up and back

Albynsw

Unless you are planning on doing a scenic flight I don’t think it matters much what the water level is, the experience from land is a bit same same to me. I have been there probably a dozen times and also done a flight when she was full and happy to see it every time regardless of water level

I was thinking, that the huge lake North of Canberra should have filled as well.

So much road damage and tyre wrecking potholes that I cancelled just driving 2hrs West for a hunt as I do it before first light.
Will give it a week or so for the makeshift repairs at least.

Baggs71

Eyre creek would be awesome to see in flood...where is it up theresomewhere ..where you graba ferry when a section is in flood?

boobook

Eyre creek would be awesome to see in flood...where is it up theresomewhere ..where you graba ferry when a section is in flood?

Do you mean Cooper Creek on the Birdsville track?

Last flood ( 2012?) I did a mad dash to Lake Eyre, and specifically went up to Cooper creek.

By luck, I caught the last Ferry, turned around and came back, being one if the first to drive across the creek. Friggin mozzies everwhere.

Baggs71

Do you mean Cooper Creek on the Birdsville track?

Last flood ( 2012?) I did a mad dash to Lake Eyre, and specifically went up to Cooper creek.

By luck, I caught the last Ferry, turned around and came back, being one if the first to drive across the creek. Friggin mozzies everwhere.
That might be the one im thinkin of!....

Albynsw

@Baggs71 Eye creek is west of Birdsville as you enter the Simpson Desert, when in flood to the point of being impassable you have to detour 30 odd kilometres to the north to cross or sometimes the detour is to the south on the SA border, I have had to do both options when doing a dessert crossing and it adds to the fuel requirements you need to carry.
The ferry crossing is a different location as is on the Birdsville track between Marrar and Mungarannie station