Do you need to upgrade rear locker if you already have one ?

aleks001

This might be a stupid question, but I can't find the answer. I see people installing front and rear air lockers for example, but the vehicle already has a rear locker from factory. So why are they putting in an air or whatever type locker in the rear if it already has one from factory, wouldn't you only need a front locker to improve off road performance ?

mikehzz

You shouldn't have to, but if you're swapping out the rear diff for different ratios to suit larger tyres then maybe it's their only option?

John U

This might be a stupid question, but I can't find the answer. I see people installing front and rear air lockers for example, but the vehicle already has a rear locker from factory. So why are they putting in an air or whatever type locker in the rear if it already has one from factory, wouldn't you only need a front locker to improve off road performance ?
Effective marketing.

All rangers in the PX line up but my model had factory lockers so I got a locker installed. To everyone but Ranger spotters this might look like someone putting a locker in a vehicle that already had one.

Effective marketing from the ARB Salesman that "those dodgy electric factory lockers might fail! And then you'll be stranded!"

CaptainBanana

If you drive seriously tough tracks and find the electric locker disengagement an issue on roll back you might - I doubt any sensible person would spend 2k go "upgrade" to an air locker to stop that mostly minor issue.

aleks001

Great, thank you guys, was really puzzling me why anyone would get an aftermarket one if you already have one and personally I'd get an electric one even if I went for the front, there just seems to be so much more to go wrong with an air locker.

CaptainBanana

I had the electric, for a touring vehicle or weekend trail vehicle with tough stuff mixed in its more than adequate. For super technical driving on really tricky tracks here you are lifting wheels lots you probably want the air. In a ranger you're not doing to be doing the ridiculous rock stuff.