j.goulds

Hey all hoping for some help finding the right suspension lift kit.

wanting to finally lift my 2014 LSU Isuzu DMax with a 2” lift after fitting new tyres to it ( BFG all terrain 265/70/17)
Hoping for some advice on possibly the best options for suspension upgrade out there and whether you’ve had any problems with the upgrades?

don’t wanna be forking out 2k and it being a waste

cheers

CaptainBanana

Even if you are going to do this the Facebook way and ignore the thousands of previous posts it would help to know what you've done to your car, what it weighs, what you use it for what you plan to use it for and so on but seriously this is not Facebook your answers already in the past posts.

sharkcaver

Nice work. Not doing the facebook thingy, I followed the supplied search link and in the first 5 pages, there is nothing in regards to lifting a d-max. There are 2 threads on a Colorado with information about as useful as has been supplied in this thread thus far.

CaptainBanana

Nice work. Not doing the facebook thingy, I followed the supplied search link and in the first 5 pages, there is nothing in regards to lifting a d-max. There are 2 threads on a Colorado with information about as useful as has been supplied in this thread thus far.

Its an IFS Ute with leaf springs in the back it's not that uncommon, it's been done to death honestly and like I said if the guy could provide any information at all about his vehicle or use I'll happily repeat the info here in this thread but the information is going to be generic based on every other dual cab ute as they're fundamentally similar.

j.goulds

Even if you are going to do this the Facebook way and ignore the thousands of previous posts it would help to know what you've done to your car, what it weighs, what you use it for what you plan to use it for and so on but seriously this is not Facebook your answers already in the past posts.
Look I had previously looked and there wasn’t much on the DMax

j.goulds

I have a titan drawer kit mounted to the rear as well as a canopy on the tray.
Got a dual battery in the back as well.
Looking to get off-road more, has been used off-road a bit but the lift is to allow for better off roads use.
planning on doing a trip of the WA coast when restrooms ease
So the back could be holding up to 300+kgs including the drawers, fridge/freezer and other necessities.
During the week it’s either used as a regular ute or to tow/carry things

CaptainBanana

So plus 300 kilo Springs are pretty common place and my suggestion would be to find someone who still makes them here and not imported from China - still a few mobs doing them locally but you will pay for it.

The problem I think you might run into as with quite a few ifs cars is a 50-mm lift in the front might be difficult or impossible without aftermarket upper control arms. You can either end up hard against the droop stop or you can end up with the upper control arm actually physically binding on the coil.

With the D-Max specifically I believe the front drive shaft not only run at a bad angle vertically when lifted but I believe the diff is offset front-to-back which means not only the STEEP CV angle vertically but you also have a steep angle laterally on the CV's.

In regards to shock absorbers they are basically a heat pump. The bigger the body the better they're likely to perform if you're looking for good quality large body shocks look at something like koni Raid if available.

For me personally I would suggest you don't be tempted by remote Reservoir and extra bits and pieces and all that and marketing crap. If be looking for the largest body shock you can find from a reputable brands. Brands like koni, fox, bilstein etc. I would recommend you avoid brands from the likes of entry level and mid tier brands which I won't name but you will know who they are simply based on price

Last edited:

j.goulds

Cheers for the reply on the post I’ve made!!
was super helpful and informative.

I read over the part about having to replace the control and abs the steep CV angles caused by the lift
Do u have any suggestions with this?

Also with the suggestions for where to buy Was super helpful! I’ll be sure to suss those out, haven’t had a look at Koni yet but will be sure to.

I would like to add that I don’t have a bullbar on the front of the ute yet. Incase that changed anything u had previously said. All that’s there is a nudge bar

Attachments

• 89995852-D83F-4B94-AAE6-ADEA1280D31D.jpeg
    89995852-D83F-4B94-AAE6-ADEA1280D31D.jpeg
    276 KB · Views: 83

CaptainBanana

A bull bar and winch will potentially lower the front end by 10 to 20 mm if you fit one after the fact. You could then use a 10 or 20 mm Packer to bring it back up but I wouldn't do this as you will then have to lower spring rates designed for the lighter front end setup.

Upper control arms are readily available for most popular models to allow for a greater lift and CV angles can be reduced by doing a diff drop. I'm not sure what's available for the D-Max specifically in regards to diff drops but it's generally A fairly simple process.

CTL

You can safely go up 30mm in the front with nothing additional. Over 30, you will need a diff drop, too much over and probably need UCA as well. Dobinsons, Blumax & Lovells all do spring and shockie kits to suit.

sharkcaver

I'm looking to rework my d-max front end atm and are having my usual drama.....no one wants my money.

2 retailers have not got back to me and the third, that I rang yesterday, I thought I was on a winner with, nothing back from him either.

FFS, why does no one ever want my money?? This crap happens all the time.

Price dependent, I'm thinking of looking seriously into koni this time around. I need to raise my current front end an inch and stiffen the springs. I may have to go the diif drop route, will evaluate that after the lift.

sharkcaver

I have experience with billies on 2 paj's now.
Cooked the boots on the rears on one set, but they survived. I've seen others smoking hot and survive. Then I've seen others not so lucky that spat their oil to kingdom come. I'm still not convinced on billie rear for independent suspension. Not a D-max problem.

The only issues i've had on the front is the stupid cheap corrugated boot splits after about 2 years, then allowing all the crud to enter, stay there and potentially flog the top seal. For the price of them, surely they could produce a better boot, or just remove it all together. It's not like the fronts will suffer stone impact and need some protection.

One of the vendors I speak of above, I was enquiring on billie/lovell front combo for max. Seems he doesn't want my dollars.

The last place I rang yesterday (he would get back to me apparently....I'm still waiting....you see a pattern emerging here?) was telling me I could get 82, 88 or 90 series konis for max. I was waiting for that confirmation and pricing. I would have thought the 90's would be a push to fit.

Maybe I'll just see what I can get at the show in 2 weeks time?? cause I dont seem to be able to get any answers by email or phone.

CaptainBanana

I run American made bilstein 5100s on mine (silver body not yellow) and in terms of ride and dampening I love them but I'm yet to spend 8 hours running corrugations at high speed - with that said I probably never will.

I removed the boots from new, even if they don't melt they usually have drain/vent holes in them and if you submerge them or get them muddy it sits inside the boot on top of the shock for life which is worse than not having them I feel.

Now if you can fit the larger koni you'd me mad not to - at the end of the day they are a heat pump and the more volume and surface area you have the better they should be at dispersing the heat

Last edited:

CTL

I have experience with billies on 2 paj's now.
Cooked the boots on the rears on one set, but they survived. I've seen others smoking hot and survive. Then I've seen others not so lucky that spat their oil to kingdom come. I'm still not convinced on billie rear for independent suspension. Not a D-max problem.

The only issues i've had on the front is the stupid cheap corrugated boot splits after about 2 years, then allowing all the crud to enter, stay there and potentially flog the top seal. For the price of them, surely they could produce a better boot, or just remove it all together. It's not like the fronts will suffer stone impact and need some protection.

One of the vendors I speak of above, I was enquiring on billie/lovell front combo for max. Seems he doesn't want my dollars.

The last place I rang yesterday (he would get back to me apparently....I'm still waiting....you see a pattern emerging here?) was telling me I could get 82, 88 or 90 series konis for max. I was waiting for that confirmation and pricing. I would have thought the 90's would be a push to fit.

Maybe I'll just see what I can get at the show in 2 weeks time?? cause I dont seem to be able to get any answers by email or phone.
Hmmm, interesting. I have done some serious long distance touring and never had an issue with the Bilsteins on my Dmax. But I do drive sympathetically (that is not directed at you BTW).
When we did the CSR, I personally spoke to half a dozen people who had blown shocks due to the corrugations. Also heard second hand of many others with the same issues. I suspect they were flogging their vehicles for hours at high speeds.

CaptainBanana

Hmmm, interesting. I have done some serious long distance touring and never had an issue with the Bilsteins on my Dmax. But I do drive sympathetically (that is not directed at you BTW).
When we did the CSR, I personally spoke to half a dozen people who had blown shocks due to the corrugations. Also heard second hand of many others with the same issues. I suspect they were flogging their vehicles for hours at high speeds.

I've made the same assumption on this forum before it seems a lot of people were blowing out shocks but they all claim their cars are not heavily loaded and they weren't driving too fast yet no one actually wanted to say how fast they were going which probably tells half the story - I'll drag my ass at 40 k's an hour if it means not having my car fall apart, I don't need to be doing freeway speeds on corrugations.

discomatt

IMO people go about suspension the wrong way, first you must work out what you want from the car and what you are going to do with the car, then add all mods, then load the car with everything that will be in it a majority of the time, then weigh it, then work out how much coin you want to spend
( you can do suspension for $800 or $8000 or more ) then do the research and ring reputable suspension suppliers and installers, not get advise from forums from unknown people with unknown skills, knowledge and experience then take that advise as gospel.
Sure get some general opinions but that is where it should end

sharkcaver

IMO people go about suspension the wrong way, first you must work out what you want from the car and what you are going to do with the car, then add all mods, then load the car with everything that will be in it a majority of the time, then weigh it, then work out how much coin you want to spend
( you can do suspension for $800 or $8000 or more ) then do the research and ring reputable suspension suppliers and installers, not get advise from forums from unknown people with unknown skills, knowledge and experience then take that advise as gospel.
Sure get some general opinions but that is where it should end
You forget sorting out all the retailer bias too.
believe me, this is the best for your needs, all the other stuff is crap
or words to that effect.

That's where a forum comes in very handy at times. Asking for peoples first hand experience, as the OP asked.