Dmax Colorado Rodeo Jackaroo wheel beraings not done coreectly by dealers.

muc the truck

Dmax Colorado Rodeo Jackaroo wheel bearings and hubs not done corectly by dealers.

After a friend had a dif lock installed in Townsville in his jackaroo I noticed the mechanic had not installed free wheel hub gaskets. apron further inspection I found he had lost the shims for cv end float correction and not adjusted the wheel bearings (they were loose and knocking ). Now to rectify this we needed gaskets and shims .

According to Holden they use Isuzu parts catalogue and this is correct.
The bad part is the gaskets and shims are only listed in Australian Isuzu as part of a replacement free wheel hub. we were told by both Holden and Isuzu to use silicon.
I said what about shim adjustment . you need shims if you use silicon Again there part of the hub and not sold separately by Isuzu and Holden.

In both Isuzu and Holden I asked what there service centre use and they both said they just place the same shims back on and if the gasket is damaged they use silicon when doing a wheel bearing service . Bad move. because the serviceable limit of end float in any Isuzu built 4x4 is zero - 0.3mm now taking the gasket out that makes a 0.8mm -1.1mm end float error on the cv joint and that's almost 4 times the maximum serviceable cv joint end float limit .

This means in no Isuzu or Holden dealership in Australia what so ever if your free wheel hub or in the later push button rodeo and Colorado , dmax front drive flange is removed as part of routine front wheel bearing service and the gasket is damaged you now are driving a car out of factory specifications and run the risk of spline wear to cv and drive flange and cv breakage. Holden and Isuzu technical support didn't acknowledge a problem as if you want the gasket you can buy the entire hub or drive flange .

I might also add that every single cv joint I have ever seen broken in the front of a 4x4 has been fitted without correct shim end float . The ignorance of doing wheel bearings with out shim stack clearance checks and correction has led to many broken cv joints as the cv is able to slide back and forth wearing out the splines and also hammers the back of the hub and internal bearing making the cv join fit in to the hub very sloppy.
there is a thread in the end of the cv joint to fit a bolt to pry on the cv tight to eliminate cv end float while fitting shims and circlip Its a pity Both Holden and Isuzu don't use it.

So guys check your hubs , if you see silicon and no gaskets have your enfloat corrected by shims or gaskets . If Holden and Isuzu don't give there mechanics the parts how can they possibly follow the work shop manual specifications to give you a reliable vehicle .

Last edited:

Stupid Flanders

Using silicon does not mean the clearance becomes zero or thinner than the original gasket if it is a very thin paper one. If the correct sealant is used with the correct amount of squish then it replicates the paper. If it didn't you wouldn't need to scrape the silicon away when you rebuild.

Not saying your post is incorrect though unless you have a std one from the factory and a siliconed one that can be measured it's a bit hard to measure.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

muc the truck

Using silicon does not mean the clearance becomes zero or thinner than the original gasket if it is a very thin paper one. If the correct sealant is used with the correct amount of squish then it replicates the paper. If it didn't you wouldn't need to scrape the silicon away when you rebuild.

Not saying your post is incorrect though unless you have a std one from the factory and a siliconed one that can be measured it's a bit hard to measure.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
silicon is less than 0.1mm thick once torqued down to 59nm. that's unsatisfactory when the gasket is 0.8mm . straight away your out side manufactures specifications when you use silicon and do not correct it with shims .

Liquid silicon just squeezes out to almost nothing a gasket holds its distance a lot better.

peterfermtech

Just dropped my d-max off for scheduled service at the dealer that also fitted my Lokka and on checking progress was told they are working on wheel bearings.:( Picking up tomorrow so will see what the outcome is.

regards

muc the truck

Just dropped my d-max off for scheduled service at the dealer that also fitted my Lokka and on checking progress was told they are working on wheel bearings.:( Picking up tomorrow so will see what the outcome is.

regards
Here are the shim part numbers .. and gasket part number , see photos, if you have no free wheel hubs there is no gasket on the drive flange just lock tight and shim check /adjust, some times a cover gasket but over the years it has been replaced with locktite product. I have cover gaskets on my 2010 compliance 2009 built.

http://catalogs.autocod.com.ua/isuzu/?st=50&l=bT09dXNhfHxjYz09VUN8fHNuPT00fHxhbXNpZD09M3x8Zm49PTE2fHxuaT09MDE=

Attachments

Last edited:

MatOZ

After a friend had a dif lock installed in Townsville in his jackaroo I noticed the mechanic had not installed free wheel hub gaskets. apron further inspection I found he had lost the shims for cv end float correction and not adjusted the wheel bearings (they were loose and knocking ). Now to rectify this we needed gaskets and shims .

According to Holden they use Isuzu parts catalogue and this is correct.
The bad part is the gaskets and shims are only listed in Australian Isuzu as part of a replacement free wheel hub. we were told by both Holden and Isuzu to use silicon.
I said what about shim adjustment . you need shims if you use silicon Again there part of the hub and not sold separately by Isuzu and Holden.

In both Isuzu and Holden I asked what there service centre use and they both said they just place the same shims back on and if the gasket is damaged they use silicon when doing a wheel bearing service . Bad move. because the serviceable limit of end float in any Isuzu built 4x4 is zero - 0.3mm now taking the gasket out that makes a 0.8mm -1.1mm end float error on the cv joint and that's almost 4 times the maximum serviceable cv joint end float limit .

This means in no Isuzu or Holden dealership in Australia what so ever if your free wheel hub or in the later push button rodeo and Colorado , dmax front drive flange is removed as part of routine front wheel bearing service and the gasket is damaged you now are driving a car out of factory specifications and run the risk of spline wear to cv and drive flange and cv breakage. Holden and Isuzu technical support didn't acknowledge a problem as if you want the gasket you can buy the entire hub or drive flange .

I might also add that every single cv joint I have ever seen broken in the front of a 4x4 has been fitted without correct shim end float . The ignorance of doing wheel bearings with out shim stack clearance checks and correction has led to many broken cv joints as the cv is able to slide back and forth wearing out the splines and also hammers the back of the hub and internal bearing making the cv join fit in to the hub very sloppy.
there is a thread in the end of the cv joint to fit a bolt to pry on the cv tight to eliminate cv end float while fitting shims and circlip Its a pity Both Holden and Isuzu don't use it.

So guys check your hubs , if you see silicon and no gaskets have your enfloat corrected by shims or gaskets . If Holden and Isuzu don't give there mechanics the parts how can they possibly follow the work shop manual specifications to give you a reliable vehicle .
Hey Muc I checked the gasket you marked out in the image, part number 8971684790.
That gasket you marked is for the hub cover. It doesn't affect your CV end float, only the shims do.
Also later later model Holden and Isuzu 4x4 utes and wagons no longer use this gasket and Isuzu recommends Loctite 515 or equivalent.

muc the truck

Hey Muc I checked the gasket you marked out in the image, part number 8971684790.
That gasket you marked is for the hub cover. It doesn't affect your CV end float, only the shims do.
Also later later model Holden and Isuzu 4x4 utes and wagons no longer use this gasket and Isuzu recommends Loctite 515 or equivalent.

That gasket , and I should have clarified is the same gasket used for all asin Isuzu free wheeling hubs and does affect the end float when its removed.

the drive flange cover gasket on the Colorado , dmax and ra rodeo is the same as the free wheel hub gasket on the rodeo, jackaroo and Isuzu MU , TRooper, bighorn , Honda badged etc.

the shift on the fly Isuzu models use metal on metal with lock tight but still specify a shim stack clearance of no greater than 0.2 mm wich is bugger all end float . the free wheel hub versions list o.3mm max

Last edited:

EffieC

muc thanks for raising attention to this your advice is appreciated by most of us; my local Holden dealer at the last front bearing service used silicon on the hub caps both of them leaked grease and it needed 2 more visits to 'rectify' the problem

muc the truck

So why not go to Holden/Isuzu head office and find a solution and post that as well as the problem?
Don't think Toyota are exempt from poor service because I went to Toyota looking for shims there too knowing I could use them and there parts interpreter said he had been here for 15 years and never seen a Toyota shim and even showed there parts breakdown that shows no shims under the circlip on asin hubs. To make things worse he also said he was a qualified mechanic that worked on Toyota . Toyota list a maximum shim clearance of .3mm just like Isuzu do on asin hubs

Last edited:

vapo27

G'day,
Long time lurker first time poster here. Good forum. I've used heaps of advice from here. Thanks for that btw.

What sort of material is the gasket made from? Can I just make my own? Probably not using weet-bix packet though eh?

Also are the allen bolts on these hubs easy to source? I ask as I'm trying to install a Lokka in the front (edit: vehicle is '95 Jackaroo) and I'm stuck at the allen bolts. Broken three different hex sockets so far and I think I'm gonna have to drill 'em out

Cheers

Last edited:

Happy Frank

When I was younger (much) you could buy gasket paper and cut your own to shape, is such a thing still available and useful in this case?

Guyzimijrii

When I was younger (much) you could buy gasket paper and cut your own to shape, is such a thing still available and useful in this case?
You can still get gasket materials. There are some small businesses ( In Melbourne) that supply the materials and or make the gasket for you. and then send to you. Yellow pages (real phone directory ,than google.LOL).