DIY service question

Oosti

Hi,
Took my nissan navara d22 2010 to Nissan dealer and they have a list of things that need doing.
Does anything in the list below seem suitable for a beginner/newbie to service and DIY?

- Steering drag link has excessive play (quoted $1042 AUD)
- Radiator coolant bleed and fluid replacement ($200 AUD)
- Power sterring Fluid bleed and replacement ($160 AUD)
- Brake fluid bleed and replacement ($144 AUD)

Cheers!

Triton14

All very dangerous things if you get it wrong.

The 3 bottom ones are fairly easy to do.

In saying that your the only one who can answer your question!

shanegtr

If you haven't done any DIY mechanical stuff in the past then I would advise against starting out with a brake fluid flush/bleed. It can be easy to stuff up if your not paying attention and brakes are your primary safety device. The coolant flush is fairly straight forward - just know where all your air bleeds are and you may have to do some research for the correct bleed procedure for your vehicle. Power steering flush is again a fairly easy task. Steering drag link is relatively straight forward, however some vehicles may be more tricky than others. You'll likely need to get a wheel alignment done after as well

Hoyks

Steering drag link excessive play:
Probably the nylon bushes in the steering arm. Not too hard to replace them, I had one split in mt Terrano II (basically interchangeable steering system to the D22), from memory a new pair of poly bushes was $25.
In the end I had to replace the whole idler arm assembly as mine was ever so slightly bent from hitting a macropod, but even then the new arm and pivot was only a couple of hundred.

Here is a 'How To' for a Toyota, but the NI$$AN is basically the same. It can be done with basic tools, but getting the connecting link off the end of the arm can be a bit of a pain.
D22's have been around for long enough that getting better than factory bits for 1/2 the factory price is easy. If you did it your self I'd reckon you'd be able to get a pair of tie rod ends, a connecting link and an idler arm assembly for what they want just to do the idler arm.
0301l.jpg

If you have a lift, then the tie rod end angles can put extra stress on the bushes and flog them out, the arm is also a bit exposed and prone to damage, so a brace might also be an idea.

Or the best option would be just to swap the whole lot out for a new and improved greasable item. 3 bolts and 1 tie rod end and never have to do it again for $250.
D22-idler-arm_0070__22922.1391576232.jpg

https://shop.snakeracing.com.au/navara-d22-heavy-duty-greasable-idler-arm/

Brake bleed: a bottle of fluid and a bleeder, around $30. You'll also need a 8 or 10mm spanner and someone to sit in the drivers seat and push the pedal.
These work well and you can do it yourself ($17).
SCA_291149_hi-res.jpg

Radiator coolant bleed and fluid replacement: Not hard, $50 for some concentrate.

Power steering Fluid bleed and replacement: Never done one myself.

Of course, if you find something broken or break it yourself, having a dead car in your drive way is a bit inconvenient. You do pay extra for the mechanic hopefully fixing up his own stuff ups, but often they'll still find some way for you pay for that anyway.

MCM will show you the basics, or just google it, guaranteed someone has done it before.

Last edited:

Albynsw

How about getting a quote from a non dealer workshop and saving a few bucks . If you are not confident to do the job yourself I would give it a miss and start out with some simpler DIY tasks like oil changes etc

dabbler

Adding to Albynsw. Get a couple of non-dealer quotes. There is one near me that charges far more than the two closer Toyota dealers. $2600 for an oil change and "comprehensive" safety check (quote ... "because it's a 4x4 you never know where they've been and every nut and bolt needs to be inspected" .. unquote), $375 for oil and filter change three years ago. I do my own oil change at about $65-$75.

I limit myself to small maintenance stuff. I don't have the room to start pulling things apart.

2002GU3

As above mate, get a few quotes from non Nissan workshops - Nissan are famous (or infamous) for their pricing on parts/repairs.

Grippy

All easy enough to do I reckon. It depends how much time you've spent on the spanners previously.
The 1 man brake bleeder is a great little thing, always had one, makes life very easy, just make sure you check it every few pumps.

Rusty Panels

I started my working life as a motorcycle mechanic and have always done my own repairs and servicing. I reckon it's a good idea for anyone who intends to spend any time in remote areas to have a bit of mechanical knowledge.
There are basic TAFE courses for vehicle maintenance which could help a lot of people understand more and maybe get them out of trouble should problems arise.
Basic servicing where you regularly change filters, oil etc is usually fairly straight forward and can be tackled by most people. But, when it comes to brakes and steering you're best to have it done by someone with knowledge and experience.