DIY overhead console for hilux.

bushlux90

Searching around the internet, getting a few ideas I have started to construct an overhead console.
I am pretty happy with the results so far, I am going to make a few brackets and suss out how I am going to get the coax through.

IMG_6642.jpg

Quick draft on the template,

IMG_6643.jpg

using the old tray as a cutting bench...

IMG_6644.jpg

Loving the bladder gun...

IMG_6650.jpg

What do you reckon??

Probably get some carpet for it and some elastic cord for the compartment. The square hole is going to be a lockable.

bushlux90

going to make some brackets for from the front mirror and middle light for a tight fit.
I would like to have a go at vinyl but I am not really sure where to start and how much it will cost. This was mainly a 'its raining and I am bored' project

Bomber2012

Bushlux there is also a fixing spot right in front of the mirror , if you feel along the roof you will find it and as has been mentioned on the middle light.
Cheers
Luke

Last edited by a moderator:

typhoeus

i found a grey lounge suite on a throwout day awhile back, so I cut the back out of it to use to cover a console. .. exactly matches the grey vinyl interior of mine, now all I have to do is get around to making up the console . .. !
PS how close to your head is it? are you likely to hit your head on it?

bushlux90

Nice work,
its not close to my head at all, it is only 160mm wide as well, I only have a small UHF radio.

Dirty Rang

Looks good mate. I'm looking at making one for my Hilux too. I've got as far as cutting a template, now I just have to figure out how much rubbish I want to put up there.

bushlux90

Well my car only needs 1 UHF (even if that....), so I just put other compartments in, I do not intend on putting any switches up there as there are plenty of other places on the dash to put them, plus sending wire up to the roof is a pain in the ass.
I also do not really want my car to look like the cockpit of an F/A18 either.......For some reason I just feel I would look more like a wanker then what I already am......

Dirty Rang

I want to put a rear view camera screen in mine cause I can't see anything out the back when my canopy is loaded. I think I might move my UHF up there and a few light switches. The rest will be storage space. That's what I'm thinking at the moment anyway. It'll probably change 3 times before I get it finished.