DIY drop slide. Anyone done it?

russell789

So has anybody built a fridge drop slide? I just got my fridge and realised that with a normal slide it's going to be really tall and I'll struggle to get anything out let alone the missus! So anybody got some photos etc?

My plan is to start building on Saturday, and provided I remember to take photos I'll do a bit of a write up, because I'm sure I'm not the only person that doesn't want to pay $700 for one!

cloughcarib

I'm pretty sure someone had drawn one up on Sketch Up and posted it on here. You're definitely not the only one who doesn't want to fork out the dough. Unfortunately my fabrication skills aren't up to scratch.

cloughcarib

Wow. Beautiful work Andrew. I wish my skills and/or tools were up to that. Very impressed, and very comprehensive writeup too.

hayden94

FODFA,
Just read through all of that post in the link. Everything youve done has such great attention to detail. Im not too bad on the tools but i reckon it wasnt easy designing that dropslide. Good stuff, might have to see if i can replicate it :)

FODFA

Thanks guys, it did take a bit of effort to get it right but it was worth it.

Accuracy is probably the most important thing with making one of these. It's absolutely critical that the distances between all the pivots are EXACTLY the same.

Cheers Andrew

russell789

Aren't drop slides highly dangerous finger lopping devices? :eek::D:D:D

cheers

I've got a saying at work... "Don't put your fingers where you wouldn't put your pecker!" Haha

But seriously, why do you say that?

FODFA what locks yours in the up position while you slide it out? To me this seems like a critical part in the design

FODFA

Nothing locks it in the up position. To slide it out we just fold the handle down, put a little bit of downwards pressure on it and pull it out. It can't drop until its fully extended as it will sit on the base.

In all the times it's been up and down we've never had an issue with it dropping or swinging or doing anything unexpected.

Cheers Andrew

russell789

Alright sounds good! I think I've got the idea, it doesn't seem as complicated as it appears! The platinum one looks like it locks in the up position so it threw me off a little

Batts88

Nothing locks it in the up position. To slide it out we just fold the handle down, put a little bit of downwards pressure on it and pull it out. It can't drop until its fully extended as it will sit on the base.

In all the times it's been up and down we've never had an issue with it dropping or swinging or doing anything unexpected.

Cheers Andrew
These are great you could make a good business on the side making and selling these.

FODFA

These are great you could make a good business on the side making and selling these.
I already have a business on the side making 4wd accessories, however making these would not be an option. Apart from the fact that there is a patent on the original concept I couldn't make them cheap enough to compete.

I have been down the track a number of times now where people are all enthusiastic about products that I could produce and how much they would want them. That enthusiasm disappears very quickly once people realize I don't work for the same wages as a Chinese peasant!

Cheers Andrew

ATC

So has anybody built a fridge drop slide? I just got my fridge and realised that with a normal slide it's going to be really tall and I'll struggle to get anything out let alone the missus! So anybody got some photos etc?

My plan is to start building on Saturday, and provided I remember to take photos I'll do a bit of a write up, because I'm sure I'm not the only person that doesn't want to pay $700 for one!
I was prepared to pay $700 for one, but at the time I was buying there were none in the country available for sale (MSA & dealers had sold out).

Brought a DS60 of ebay for $425 - worth every cent.

Have you scoured eBay & gumtree for 2nd hand ones?

FODFA

I haven't been here for a very long time but I keep getting requests for pictures of my fridge slide. It is now 10 years old and has been up and down countless times and across many of the roughest tracks in Australia and still works just a perfectly as the day i finished it. A few of the rough tracks include, Cape York, Kimberly, 4 times across the Simpson, the Anne Beadell, Twice across the Gunbarrell and Connie Sue, Gary Highway, the Canning, The Pilbara, through the APY lands, Arnemland, Savanagh Way, Across the Transcontinental, multiple high country trips and that's just to name a few.

some pictures for those interested.
fridge slide 014.jpg
fridge slide 017.jpg
fridge slide 021.jpg
fridge slide 025.jpg
fridge slide 033.jpg
fridge slide 039.jpg
fridge slide 028.jpg

Cheers Andrew

Last edited by a moderator:

a1bert

Found this, may help to explain Fodfa's a little better, what is the advantage of the offsets in the vertical struts?

Last edited:

Swaggie

There’s certainly some talented blokes on this site.
I won’t be able to brag how i paid $800 for a 60litre drop down slide if i make one...:oops: