Discovery Bay Marine Park

CaptainBanana

Seriously get your guage checked if you are saying the vehicle in the vid doing the little jump then driving towards the camera is at 12 PSI - seriously. But it doesn't actually matter what number the guage says, if it continues to bog you let more air out and that was my first point - I never presumed anything apart from he had too much pressure and that assumption stands. It will take me 2 minutes to drop a tyre to 12 and show you what it actually looks like if it helps you?
you must be struggling with this concept I checked the pressures for him with my own gauge after he let the tyres down initially.... Also I owned the exact same car if you hadn't heard I think I know how it works. Heres a little advice to you it's ok to be wrong sometimes you don't know everything.

Last edited:

Swaggie

Seriously get your guage checked if you are saying the vehicle in the vid doing the little jump then driving towards the camera is at 12 PSI - seriously. But it doesn't actually matter what number the guage says, if it continues to bog you let more air out and that was my first point - I never presumed anything apart from he had too much pressure and that assumption stands. It will take me 2 minutes to drop a tyre to 12 and show you what it actually looks like if it helps you?
I run my Hilux with MTZ's at 8psi over at Robe,took me awhile to get the right pressure but after that it was sweet.

CaptainBanana

I run my Hilux with MTZ's at 8psi over at Robe,took me awhile to get the right pressure but after that it was sweet.
I didn't get a measuring tape out but those BFG ko2 is on his Triton look like they had about 300 mm of thread length at 12 psi, my federal mud tyres which seem to have a much much stiffer sidewall were far less deflated at the same pressure and had no issue whatsoever in terms of sinking through as I was simply able to power up through the hills. His car was just going from 3rd gear back to second gear back to 1st gear and then running out, that's exact same behaviour I found in my lemon on Trails and even when towing on road it just doesn't have any usable tourqe outside of a tiny 500rpm power band.

rogerazz

4x4 Earth Contributer
Can you run us a video of the Triton running uphill and getting into trouble? Just wanting to compare my son in laws Triton back in 2015 up Beachport and through the Dunes at the Buggy club. First time, TC on, 2nd time momentum, third time tyre pressures. Condition of sand, momentum , speed, etc. all had to change. Went pretty well after that, he did have fair work gear weight in rear cabin.
I was passenger/ helper with a bloke up Wright bay one time and he got better as the day went on, having more confidence and experience to judge momentum especially, and also taking into account up hill, down hill, harder wet sand, softer dry sand, when to put the berries in etc. etc. It was a learning curve.
Also reckon different vehicles, different weights etc., require different approaches.
Am always learning.
I lived up Portland many years ago and was good to see your pics and videos of the Bridgewater area where we used to hang about.
Was up there at Swan Lake earlier this year.
Motorbikes were fun to, but had a couple of decent falls.
Cheers.

Triton14

Wow, from what I read 10 psi was the lowest you ever want to go .
The chances of rolling the tyre off the rim increase substantially below that??

CaptainBanana

I was lead vehicle Roger so most of the photos and stuff were after I had got up stuff, and received a 'im stuck again' message.

You just can't appreciate how little power the Triton has off boost until you've owned one. I literally found myself not being able to get up hills outside of first and second gear with a load.. Punt road Melbourne was one such embarrassing moment when I had the trailer and garden rocks on board and would not push past 20km/h up the hill from a standing start.

Attachments

Last edited:

CaptainBanana

Can you run us a video of the Triton running uphill and getting into trouble? Just wanting to compare my son in laws Triton back in 2015 up Beachport and through the Dunes at the Buggy club. First time, TC on, 2nd time momentum, third time tyre pressures. Condition of sand, momentum , speed, etc. all had to change. Went pretty well after that, he did have fair work gear weight in rear cabin.
I was passenger/ helper with a bloke up Wright bay one time and he got better as the day went on, having more confidence and experience to judge momentum especially, and also taking into account up hill, down hill, harder wet sand, softer dry sand, when to put the berries in etc. etc. It was a learning curve.
Also reckon different vehicles, different weights etc., require different approaches.
Am always learning.
I lived up Portland many years ago and was good to see your pics and videos of the Bridgewater area where we used to hang about.
Was up there at Swan Lake earlier this year.
Motorbikes were fun to, but had a couple of decent falls.
Cheers.
The place is stunning mate.

Swaggie

Plus I drove on Bitumen roads hear and there through estates etc to get to the Vic River Mouth...

Took things slowly off the beach,never looked like coming off....

That's my experience,maybe different for others ;)

CaptainBanana

I used to run as low as 10psi on my 37s when doing the real boggy stuff at toolangi and yeah if you drop into a rut you pretty much push it straight off the rim. Even at 12 psi on sand if you turn sharp enough you hear them start to howl

lars cordes

sorry to get off topic here fellers, but looked like a great trip capt. went there a few years ago in my sons patrol & his mates ranger, had a ball... as u stated, very different 4wd to what we normally do in vic ... did u have to pay for a permit from the dune buggy club ?

CaptainBanana

sorry to get off topic here fellers, but looked like a great trip capt. went there a few years ago in my sons patrol & his mates ranger, had a ball... as u stated, very different 4wd to what we normally do in vic ... did u have to pay for a permit from the dune buggy club ?
Yes we paid for a 3 day permit, I think it's around $50. Check their website, a yearly pass is available too. Unfortunately their website doesn't tell you that they're actually closed at the time of year we went so make sure you get your permit before you book your accommodation as we nearly blew our money.

CaptainBanana

We're planning robe after our high country trip this week. I feel like robe is better again but requires a further drive for Victorians.

lars cordes

We're planning robe after our high country trip this week. I feel like robe is better again but requires a further drive for Victorians.
be great getting back to the high country ... been hanging to go but havent made it happen yet ... only been past robe on the main drag, take it youre going along the beach there ?

CaptainBanana

I plan to cross the border and head to the beach around Beachport and follow to Robe. Not sure about accommodation yet, I'm not a fan of tents and swags anymore but also can't tow my 20 foot caravan on the beach.

lars cordes

I plan to cross the border and head to the beach around Beachport and follow to Robe. Not sure about accommodation yet, I'm not a fan of tents and swags anymore but also can't tow my 20 foot caravan on the beach.
a few of my mates have camp beds which they swear by (we've all got dodgy backs), not a fan myself but prefer my swag .. has sa openend the borders ? after a few years of planning was finally gonna go & visit my sister up near port augusta & then check out port lincoln n/park & oyster bay, but then they shut the border ... be a trip for next year ... u gunna be fishing, imagine it'd be pretty good off the surf there ?

rogerazz

4x4 Earth Contributer
Last I heard, SA borders are a no no for us Vics., unless you go into a two week self isolation at an approved accommodation. ( correct me if I am wrong). may also apply on the way back into Vic. :eek: :eek: :eek:.
However if you can go and stay at a caravan site in Beachport, I reckon better than Robe, you can do Beachport to Robe or the other way around and is great fun.

CaptainBanana

Last I heard, SA borders are a no no for us Vics., unless you go into a two week self isolation at an approved accommodation. ( correct me if I am wrong). may also apply on the way back into Vic. :eek: :eek: :eek:.
However if you can go and stay at a caravan site in Beachport, I reckon better than Robe, you can do Beachport to Robe or the other way around and is great fun.
No Idea about restrictions, I'm still working 7 days a week so I'm only focused on the high country trip this week as Portland was the last time I'd been away except for day trips. I'm really over long day trips though.

I won't be fishing, I do own a rod but don't even know where it is, safe to say I'm not a huge angler. I will be eating all the food and local beer I can get my hands on.

Last edited: