Discovery Bay Marine Park

CaptainBanana

I finally ticked off a bucket list item this weekend by doing a trip out the Portland and having an absolute ball in the dunes, I've done a lot of wheeling in various places over the past 15 or 20 years but nothing like this and I can't recommend it highly enough for anyone who's been thinking about it.

The only thing I might mention is the dune buggy club actually doesn't allow anyone on there between December and January but doesn't actually state this on their website.

Don't do what we did and book your accommodation, your time off work and put your dogs in kennels only to call them and find out they don't want you there.... Due to the fact that we made all the bookings and I made it clear that they should advertise the fact that they close every single year at this time we were able to get our passes approved. This probably is not going to be the case for everyone. My impression from the phone call was that they had no intention to update their website to actually state they close at this time of year which doesn't make any sense to me.
IMG_20191206_114054.jpg
IMG_20191206_121922.jpg
IMG_20191206_123741.jpg
IMG_20191206_125858.jpg
IMG_20191206_130043.jpg
IMG_20191206_130347.jpg
IMG_20191206_130616.jpg
IMG_20191206_130856.jpg
IMG_20191206_145236.jpg
IMG_20191206_145302.jpg
IMG_20191207_105727.jpg
IMG_20191207_105802.jpg
IMG_20191207_110229.jpg

Last edited:

discomatt

I would have joined you but I am getting smashed at work so struggling to get even a Sunday off, must get out there some time

CaptainBanana

I would have joined you but I am getting smashed at work so struggling to get even a Sunday off, must get out there some time
I've had no more than 4 days off in a row the last 2 years so I made this a 3 day weekend which was nowhere near enough. I'm currently hiring another guy which hopefully means I can fit in more of this sort of stuff in.... I'm would do this trip again though the place is nothing like your typical trails or high country adventure.

The best bit is my mates triton was so useless he's currently writing a for sale ad....

CaptainBanana

IMG-20191206-WA0001.jpg

This happened a lot, low range, diff lock on, stability control off but about as much horsepower as my Honda lawnmower meant it just bogged down over and over. It was better on the high speed sections but not happy on climbs or taking off on soft sand.
IMG-20191206-WA0001.jpg

cam04

Maybe buy him a new tyre guage? Whatever pressure he was running was evidently too much. Why did he bury it?

discomatt

It could just be driving style, I had done heaps of sand and thought I was a competent sand driver, first 2 days in the D4 on sand and anyone would have thought I or the car was useless, I was even ready to sell it...
After 4 days and I worked out how to drive it I was fine, never getting bogged in the softest stuff and just cruising through

CaptainBanana

It could just be driving style, I had done heaps of sand and thought I was a competent sand driver, first 2 days in the D4 on sand and anyone would have thought I or the car was useless, I was even ready to sell it...
After 4 days and I worked out how to drive it I was fine, never getting bogged in the softest stuff and just cruising through
He did better on the second day because he didn't climb any of the steep narrow sections with soft sand. It required a lot of Momentum on anything uphill, the Tritons have factory fit 29 inch tyre which I believe is to try to help them get off the line a little bit.
My tourqe converter also allowed to flash stall to 3000 rpm because the engine makes no power whatsoever under that, I know any time I had mine in mud if I would get hung up on the diff for example I could back up and I would be able to nail to the floor the car would creep forward about 2 feet and just get hang up again before the wheels ever spun, the cars are gutless turds. Drive a BT50 or ranger and it's a different planet.

What I found on these dune's is when you're driving up a long incline is you'd be going up on what feels like almost paved Road and then out of no where it gets so soft that feels like the brakes are being slammed on, his Triton sinks to it's chassis rails as a bogs down while already moving.

My 1.6L Renault tows my trailer with builder's Rubble easier than my Triton did I don't for a second believe the Triton motor is any good for this kind of driving, the Triton is fine as a completely Stock Road car on road tyres under road conditions without all the off-road accessories, I'm actually excited for him cause he's about to find out how much better an actual off-road car is

mikehzz

Correct, me too. I've done the big dunes at Stockton, (back when they were open), heaps of times in 4 different cars. First time out in a Jeep I bogged it in 20 minutes. It ended up being my favourite car in the sand after I figured out how to drive it to suit.

CaptainBanana

I'm going to move off-topic with this personally because I know where this conversation is going to go but I would suggest anyone who gets the opportunity to drive an MQ Triton do so and you'll soon see what the Rubberband throttle response is like. As you can see in the video he drove my car for the first time in his life while it's park next to his car and he didn't just a bury it.

mikehzz

I've never owned a Triton and would defer to anyone who has. We were just saying that sand dunes have a way of bringing out the worst in a car even for the most experienced of drivers. One of my club's best instructors, a very experienced sand driver, buried a D4 at Stockton in no time flat first time he took it there. Red faces all around..... That opened my eyes to the situation. There's no questioning of your mate's driving experience, but if it's your first time on dunes and you don't know the car's habits on dunes, then there will be frustrating times out there until you get sorted.

CaptainBanana

He's no expert no one's hiding that but the car makes it so much harder that it needs to be, people mistakenly believe because the MQ Triton feels reasonably quick from a standing start that it's actually got decent power but that power delivery is useless in transient situations.

This wasn't his first frustration with his car off-road it's just the final 1 and he's already making moves towards selling it.

mikehzz

That looks like a petrol Grand Cherokee around 2003/4? An interesting note of it is, the diesel version has a different drive train. If you tried the diesel on sand it reacts totally different. We played with the two different versions at Stockton one day and couldn't believe the difference. Both had plenty of power that's for sure.

CaptainBanana

That looks like a petrol Grand Cherokee around 2003/4? An interesting note of it is, the diesel version has a different drive train. If you tried the diesel on sand it reacts totally different. We played with the two different versions at Stockton one day and couldn't believe the difference. Both had plenty of power that's for sure.
yeah I did see the diesel one behaves differently with wheel speed sensing but I didn't think there was too much more in it, the transfer case still uses a variable coupler in high range and a locked coupler in low range and the rest of the drivelines basically identical other than having smaller diffs. My one has an auto Locker in the back and still open in the front but it's works very well on everything so far and it's only running small tyres. In stock format makes plenty of power for the type of wheeling I do these day so I'm pretty happy with it.

Last edited:

mikehzz

I had one with an auto locker in the rear but didn't like it on road. It was excellent off road. I replaced it with a rear LSD and put an ARB air locker in the front and it was perfect.

CaptainBanana

I had one with an auto locker in the rear but didn't like it on road. It was excellent off road. I replaced it with a rear LSD and put an ARB air locker in the front and it was perfect.
I had almost gone the Eaton like my lemon had but at the last second decided to risk the auto. So far I'm wrapped it doesn't lock or clunk or release like everyone seems to talk about, my missus doesn't even know its there except for full lock turns when it engages. It's noisy but I drive the car once maybe twice a week so I don't care, now just to see how long it stays reliable.

I didn't want to spend a ton of money a locker in this car.
I am contemplating a truetrac for the front though.

Last edited:

cam04

That's a poor presumption, I set his tyres at 12 psi the same as mine.
Seriously get your guage checked if you are saying the vehicle in the vid doing the little jump then driving towards the camera is at 12 PSI - seriously. But it doesn't actually matter what number the guage says, if it continues to bog you let more air out and that was my first point - I never presumed anything apart from he had too much pressure and that assumption stands. It will take me 2 minutes to drop a tyre to 12 and show you what it actually looks like if it helps you?