Disco 3 V6 Winch Bar?

D

Dosco3SE

I am at a bit of a loss! I have contacted all of the main players with 4x4 gear, and no-one sells a Disco 3 Petrol winch bar??????? Any one got any leads, or ideas??? PLEASE??????

Disco3SE

Will ask a few people around the traps tomorrow for you and let you know.

2 options are:

ARB Deluxe winch bar
Deluxe Bull Bars | ARB 4x4 Accessories » Products » ARB Protection Equipment » Bull Bar Model Range » Deluxe Bull Bars

This looks to be genuine but is very ugly:eek:
Photo Gallery - carsales.com.au
Problem is, rang ARB HQ this afternoon, and they only make the bullbar for the diesel version of my Disco 3. I have the petrol, and they have told me that it is something to do with the placement of the water bottle..... Tried TJM, and they discontinued it last year. So apart from Land Rover genuine parts, (it is $1300 just for a nudge bar), I don't know where to go......??????????

Walkabout

Problem is, rang ARB HQ this afternoon, and they only make the bullbar for the diesel version of my Disco 3. I have the petrol, and they have told me that it is something to do with the placement of the water bottle..... Tried TJM, and they discontinued it last year. So apart from Land Rover genuine parts, (it is $1300 just for a nudge bar), I don't know where to go......??????????
The issue with the ARB bar is the way the transmission cooler lines are run, it interferes with the crush can that is used to mount the bull bar to provide crumple zone compatibility.
With so little inquiry for bars on the petrol variant, retooling to suit was not an option.
EBC don't make a comparable bar either.
If TJM used to make a compatible bar it may be worth hunting through wreckers online to try and find one and paint it up like new but I would make very sure first that it does not have the same problem with the cooler lines.
Another option would be to find a comparable bar (non winch) and use a custom chassis winch mount then modify the bar to accept a fairlead - this may open a whole new can of worms though.
Lastly buy the Gen winch nudge and put up with its shocking looks (am told its about $3300.00)
Cheapest and easiest option - buy a Trifor or other good brand hand winch;) depending on the kind of wheeling you want to do (and I suspect your cars purpose is as a tourer) you may never use it but its there for peace of mind.

Disco3SE

The issue with the ARB bar is the way the transmission cooler lines are run, it interferes with the crush can that is used to mount the bull bar to provide crumple zone compatibility.
With so little inquiry for bars on the petrol variant, retooling to suit was not an option.
EBC don't make a comparable bar either.
If TJM used to make a compatible bar it may be worth hunting through wreckers online to try and find one and paint it up like new but I would make very sure first that it does not have the same problem with the cooler lines.
Another option would be to find a comparable bar (non winch) and use a custom chassis winch mount then modify the bar to accept a fairlead - this may open a whole new can of worms though.
Lastly buy the Gen winch nudge and put up with its shocking looks (am told its about $3300.00)
Cheapest and easiest option - buy a Trifor or other good brand hand winch;) depending on the kind of wheeling you want to do (and I suspect your cars purpose is as a tourer) you may never use it but its there for peace of mind.
Thanks so much for the research Walkabout!!!!
A far as using it for what it is made for, and by that I mean very much what it was designed for!!!
I had a wonderful chat with Gordon from Opp Lock at Rockdale today, and he was extremely helpful. He can get me the bar from the UK, it is with winch, powdercoated black with light washers, fog lights, indicators and parking lights fitted for $2600. I was pretty happy with that. He is also going to fit the safari snorkel for me $690 fitted, and the GME TX4400 UHF fitted for $400. Let me know if this is ok money, just seemed like a genuine guy, and gave me some good discounts....
Cheers.

Disco3SE

If all that includes a winch then "do the deal" great value for money! well done.
Yeah, the winch is one I have never heard of, a Avenger TDS Mako 12,000lb (5443kg) winch. Have you heard of them, and if so, are they ok??? Is that enough power and weight rating to move the disco from like heavy mud??? I just want to make sure!!! thanks Walkabout, I really do appreciate all of the help and time you have given me mate!!!
I want to get this done for Mini Middle Earth at Stockton. My kids, 3 & 5 girls are already hounding me for a countdown on how many sleeps till we go!!!!
Cheers mate!

Walkabout

Yeah, the winch is one I have never heard of, a Avenger TDS Mako 12,000lb (5443kg) winch. Have you heard of them, and if so, are they ok??? Is that enough power and weight rating to move the disco from like heavy mud??? I just want to make sure!!! thanks Walkabout, I really do appreciate all of the help and time you have given me mate!!!
I want to get this done for Mini Middle Earth at Stockton. My kids, 3 & 5 girls are already hounding me for a countdown on how many sleeps till we go!!!!
Cheers mate!
No I have not heard of them but others here may have? A couple or so of the mainstream brand winches are the same thing only different badges so it may belong to this group?
Power wise yep that's fine, buy yourself a good snatch block (pulley) that can be used to halve the strain when needed, some good leather riggers gloves and a winch cable dampener also ( you may be able to screw the guys at OL for freebies when you pay for the mods;)) @ retail these should be well under $100 anyway. PS your welcome:cool:
That's cute :) there will be plenty of other kids along to play and discover things with so they will have a ball, recon you and the missus might as well;)

Disco3SE

Thanks again!

Thanks again mate! My wife is the hard nut to crack. Our Disco was picked by her, so I think with a little persistence, she will come around!:):)

Peter Pono

Disco Winch

Hi mate. I have the same car. 07 model. Live in the Mountains. I would suggest you go to a big newsagent and buy up some Land Rover mags from the UK. Land Rover Owner International is a good start. I think if you contact some of the bigger retailers there you'll find bits easy.

Also check this out:
winch
from this web site:
Modifications - DISCO3.CO.UK Knowledge Base

You have an option on the Disco 3 from what I have seen to fit a winch without bar, completely concealed.

Not sure if you have done recoveries before but if you are with a group you won't need a winch on sand. A snatch strap or 2 and a couple of shackles and you'll be fine. As per one of the other posts I purchased a hand winch years ago and have never had to use it. With the type of 4wding you are likely to do in a D3 you would be unlikely to need it also. Any time I have seen a big mud hole there aren't any trees around it to pull from anyway! Not sure whay tyres you have but you may need to upgrade them. Bob Jane at Penrith are superb and they sorted me out with General Grabber AT2's.