Disco-2 TD5 compared to a Disco-1 TDi

rob_macca67

Gents.....

Thought I'd ask this here 1st b4 heading to AULRO site..... but I'm trying to determine whether to buy a reliable "Old School" TDI Disco-1 or buy the more modern TD5 Disco-2.

After peoples opinions & experiences with TD5's and how reliable are they really? I know about the 3 Amigos that can effect them & then loose your Traction Control, etc, but I'm also wanting to know how reliable the TD5 engine is and what's the expected life that u can achieve from a well maintained Engine?

Is there anything that one should be looking out for in the TD5's

cheers....
Rob

discomatt

300 tdi is way more reliable BUT gutless with big tyres or towing
main issues with the td5 are injector wiring loom, leaking injector pump, radiator, manifold warping if chiped and of coarse the 3 amegos.
all easy fixes if you are handy with the spanners, except for the electrics.....

get on aulro and there is heaps of info but first decide what you are going to use it for.

If I was going for a diesel it would be the 300tdi and just put up with going slow and the smaller D1

there is a reason why the early diesels are worth about the same as the td5

rob_macca67

Thanks for that....

I had always been leaning towards the TDi, but went out wheeling yesterday with a mate who has the TD5. Much nicer inside (leather) + I was impressed with how it preformed offroad with the traction control, etc. It got me thinking as to whether I should go that way or not + with that little extra room in the cargo area, I can have my fridge Nth-Sth and not cross ways too. Having 3 kids too, the extra cargo room "may" come in handy too.
I'm just a little worried about the things I've heard off with the TD5, its electrics and the engine life and any repairs in general will cost more with the TD5 than a TDi. Wheel Bearings for example, I was told there's a BIG price difference between the 2

rob

300 tdi is way more reliable BUT gutless with big tyres or towing
main issues with the td5 are injector wiring loom, leaking injector pump, radiator, manifold warping if chiped and of coarse the 3 amegos.
all easy fixes if you are handy with the spanners, except for the electrics.....

get on aulro and there is heaps of info but first decide what you are going to use it for.

If I was going for a diesel it would be the 300tdi and just put up with going slow and the smaller D1

there is a reason why the early diesels are worth about the same as the td5

Alien d2

4x4 Earth Contributer
Head gaskets seem to be semi regular thing on the TD5's.
This seems to happen @ the 100->150 thou/km mark.

The TD5 has a timing chain unlike the TDI that needs a belt change as part of maintenance.
The TD5 can leak from the Fuel Pressure regulator, the TDI's from the vacuum pump.

Ree the wheel bearings the D2's are bolt on and leave for life, the D1's need servicing.

What is the intended use?
For a off road toy I'd think about a D1 with the shorter body allowing better depature angles.
There are more limp home options if you bust things too(removable axles, steel fuel lines).
For a tourer and occasional play the extra room in the rear of the D2 is usefull.
The D1 is based on the older RRC/series designs, the D2 like the P38 RR was a new concept.
This included the drive line and fuel supplies, electronics vs mechanicals.

If looking consider the "update" Disco2, It had a factory fitted centre diff lock and most of the gremlins had been sorted.

rob_macca67

Thanks Kyle....

Yeah I would be looking for a 2003>2004 model to ensure that it had the centre diff-lock & hopefully any bugs that were in the early ones would have been sorted by 2003/2004.
It would be used as my daily driver to/from work and the the occasional weekend explore through the bush. I'm not looking for anything hardcore as I've my little zook for that, but I want to be sure that when I go exploring through the bush (usually by myself midweek) that whatever I come across I can know that the car will have the ability to get me through and back w/o letting me down.....

What sort of kms on a TD5 would u not go for..... There's one I came across & it had 275,000k's on it and from the pics it looked well looked after, but I guess u wouldn't know until u looked at it....

The rear wheel bearings on the D2 never need servicing/replacing, is that correct?

The departure angle doesn't worry me too much & if I stuffed the rear bumper, then I'd buy HD aftermarket one to take the hits....

The comfort between the D1 & D2.... Are they similar ??

The TD5 has a timing chain unlike the TDI that needs a belt change as part of maintenance.
The TD5 can leak from the Fuel Pressure regulator, the TDI's from the vacuum pump.

Ree the wheel bearings the D2's are bolt on and leave for life, the D1's need servicing.

For a off road toy I'd think about a D1 with the shorter body allowing better depature angles.
There are more limp home options if you bust things too(removable axles, steel fuel lines).
For a tourer and occasional play the extra room in the rear of the D2 is usefull.
The D1 is based on the older RRC/series designs, the D2 like the P38 RR was a new concept.

If looking consider the "update" Disco2, It had a factory fitted centre diff lock and most of the gremlins had been sorted.

muc the truck

2 td5 head gaskets that I have replaced hadn't seen coolant since it was born , apparently the new owners thought servicing was too expensive so never changed the coolant , just engine oil . Actually all the head gaskets I have ever done have had signs of piss poor servicing to the whole car . mud in the coolant tank from rust is a dead giveaway.

then the owner blames the brand .

rob_macca67

Yes, true, a lot of it comes down to maintenance..... but then there's the electronics side of things that scares me a bit. The Injectors to a VERY EXPENSIVE from what I've been told and are also electronically operated. With all the Sensors, ECU's (3 of them I believe), etc, it would make me a little nervous heading into a remote area or bush with the worry of being stranded as these vehicles are now reaching 10+yrs and it's hard to really know how a person has treated their cars, especially the FUEL system. I've always dual fuel filters in CRD engines and so far I've had no fuel issues......

Rob

2 td5 head gaskets that I have replaced hadn't seen coolant since it was born , apparently the new owners thought servicing was too expensive so never changed the coolant , just engine oil . Actually all the head gaskets I have ever done have had signs of piss poor servicing to the whole car . mud in the coolant tank from rust is a dead giveaway.

then the owner blames the brand .

Hi I have a 99 td5 has done 240000 ks have only replaced the power steering pump relatively simple operation and replaced the centre muffler with a straight through pipe have larger tyres cooper st max which ads an extra 6 kph at 100 kph replaced the rocker cover gasket as it was leaking this is where the oil comes from to get into the wiring loom no leaks no problem runs very well have put a diesel chip specific for the td5 the chip combined with the removal of the centre muffler has improved the performance and economy totally different from standard td5 very happy with my unit hope this helps Mike

I had a Td5 series 2 and had the injector wiring replaced when I got it. servicing is a must. mine had a long range tank and snorkel fitted. never had any serious problems. when I sold it had 305k's on the clock and was still going strong. we also did a fair amount of 4wdriving and it was as capable as all the other makes but more comfortable. look for one that you can see the servicing.