Dirk Hartog Island

Karl Fehlauer

Just back from a trip to Dirk Hartog Island, WA and thought I would share some images with you as I have been very quiet of late as I am still recovering from a double knee replacement operation.
I was with a group of guys from the Four Wheel Drive Club of WA and we went over on Sunday 03 Jun 18 and I came back on Friday 08 Jun 18. There is only 20 vehicles allowed on the island at anyone time and we had 11 in our group so we pretty much had the island to ourselves.
Unfortunately we were hit by a massive storm on the Monday night (100 kph winds and about 100 mls of rain) from which no-one escaped some sort of damage or being wet (or both :eek::eek:). I had my awning collapse as I didn't have big enough sand pegs and two pole were damaged but that was it for us.
Getting onto the island is an adventure in itself with the road to the barge pick up being a very interesting drive (4WD only) and then a barge across to the island. Once on the island it is 4WD all the way and is totally awesome.
I can highly recommend going there it is a fabulous place.
Karl

The convoy at the air down station on Useless Loop Rd
2018-06-03 4WD - 002-Edit.jpg

Waiting for the barge across to the island
2018-06-03 4WD - 034-Edit.jpg

My mates LC and CT on the barge
2018-06-03 4WD - 039-Edit.jpg

One of our other vehicles being offlaoded onto the island
2018-06-03 Drone 006-Edit.jpg

Last edited:

Mr Rum

Super jealous of you. It looks awesome.:)

Jen and I were all but paid to visit DHI in late May, but Jen’s work decided that the leave they’d previously said wasn’t going to be a problem, was all of a sudden a problem, and we had to cancel.

It’s very high on the to do list now.

teza h

Thanks for sharing Karl..looks great.I used to work on a cray boat when i was a young bloke out of Denham off D H island,never set foot on it though,the fishing was good there.I live in Sydney now ,so it's a long way in the 4by.

Karl Fehlauer

Part 6
All too soon our time was up and we had to leave. On Thursday night we stayed at the Homestead Campground and then headed off early Friday morning to catch the barge across back to the mainland.
This is a place to put on your bucket list - I will be going back :D:D
I hope you enjoyed my images.
Sunset at the Homestead Campground
2018-06-07 4WD - 019-Edit.jpg

Cape Ransonet - waiting for the barge
2018-06-08 Drone 002-Edit.jpg

2018-06-08 Drone 004-Pano-Edit.jpg

2018-06-08 Drone 013-Edit.jpg

shanegtr

Thanks for posting up. I had put this place on the backburner as I was sure I read somewhere that you couldnt get camper trailers onto the barge. Clearly this isnt the case - might have to revisit the idea again.....

Karl Fehlauer

Thanks for posting up. I had put this place on the backburner as I was sure I read somewhere that you couldnt get camper trailers onto the barge. Clearly this isnt the case - might have to revisit the idea again.....
Not an issue at all - if in doubt contact Kieran but most standard vehicles and CT will fit.
Karl

Are the blowholes on the island better than Thunder Bay? The island looks awesome, always have intended to go back so will have to put this on the list. Thanks for sharing.

Karl Fehlauer

Are the blowholes on the island better than Thunder Bay? The island looks awesome, always have intended to go back so will have to put this on the list. Thanks for sharing.
Never got to Thunder Bay (assuming you mean Thunder Bay on DHI) - so I can't say but what I can say is this one was spectacular :)
Karl

greysrigging

Mate of mine Kevin Rogers used to work on the former sheep station on Dirk Hartog.... he caretaked the place for quite a few years. Ended up making more money out of goats rather than sheep....