Change background image

Dirk Hartog Island

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by Karl Fehlauer, Jun 10, 2018.

1. Karl Fehlauer

Karl Fehlauer Well-Known Member

Just back from a trip to Dirk Hartog Island, WA and thought I would share some images with you as I have been very quiet of late as I am still recovering from a double knee replacement operation.
    I was with a group of guys from the Four Wheel Drive Club of WA and we went over on Sunday 03 Jun 18 and I came back on Friday 08 Jun 18. There is only 20 vehicles allowed on the island at anyone time and we had 11 in our group so we pretty much had the island to ourselves.
    Unfortunately we were hit by a massive storm on the Monday night (100 kph winds and about 100 mls of rain) from which no-one escaped some sort of damage or being wet (or both :eek::eek:). I had my awning collapse as I didn't have big enough sand pegs and two pole were damaged but that was it for us.
    Getting onto the island is an adventure in itself with the road to the barge pick up being a very interesting drive (4WD only) and then a barge across to the island. Once on the island it is 4WD all the way and is totally awesome.
    I can highly recommend going there it is a fabulous place.
    Karl

The convoy at the air down station on Useless Loop Rd
    2018-06-03 4WD - 002-Edit.jpg
    Waiting for the barge across to the island
    2018-06-03 4WD - 034-Edit.jpg
    My mates LC and CT on the barge
    2018-06-03 4WD - 039-Edit.jpg
    One of our other vehicles being offlaoded onto the island
    2018-06-03 Drone 006-Edit.jpg

Last edited: Jun 10, 2018
  2. Mr Rum

Mr Rum Well-Known Member

Super jealous of you. It looks awesome.:)

Jen and I were all but paid to visit DHI in late May, but Jen’s work decided that the leave they’d previously said wasn’t going to be a problem, was all of a sudden a problem, and we had to cancel.

It’s very high on the to do list now.

richardlnsw and Karl Fehlauer like this.
  3. teza h

teza h Well-Known Member

Thanks for sharing Karl..looks great.I used to work on a cray boat when i was a young bloke out of Denham off D H island,never set foot on it though,the fishing was good there.I live in Sydney now ,so it's a long way in the 4by.

richardlnsw and Karl Fehlauer like this.
  4. Karl Fehlauer

Thanks guys.
    Part 2
    Before the Storm
    2018-06-03 4WD - 047-Edit.jpg
    After the storm
    2018-06-05 4WD - 003-Edit.jpg
    Sunday Bay Campsite
    2018-06-05 Drone 001-Edit.jpg

2018-06-05 Drone 006-Pano-Edit.jpg

5. Karl Fehlauer

Part 3
    Once the weather cleared we headed off to find a better campsite and along the way we stopped at the Blow Holes for a visit - what a stunning place this was and needs to be experienced!!

2018-06-06 4WD - 004-Edit.jpg
    2018-06-06 4WD - 006-Edit.jpg
    2018-06-06 4WD - 009-Pano-Edit.jpg
    2018-06-06 4WD - 020-Edit.jpg
    2018-06-06 4WD - 022-Edit.jpg

6. Karl Fehlauer

Part 4
    From the Blow Holes we made our west and along the way stopped at the old shearing sheds.

2018-06-06 4WD - 023-Edit.jpg
    2018-06-06 4WD - 024-Edit.jpg
    2018-06-06 4WD - 025-Edit.jpg
    Some people are pigs and dump their rubbish anywhere just so they don't have to take it out - unfortunately they are 4WDvrs!!!!
    2018-06-06 4WD - 026-Edit.jpg

7. Karl Fehlauer

Part 5
    Initially we were to camp at Whithnell Bay but after the storm the area was flooded and as it was late in the evening we got permission to stay at the Lighthouse at Cape Inscription - what a fantastic and historical place this was.
    Sunset over Cape Inscription
    2018-06-06 4WD - 037-Edit.jpg

2018-06-07 4WD - 003-Pano-Edit.jpg
    2018-06-07 4WD - 009-Edit.jpg
    Urchin Point
    2018-06-07 4WD - 013-Edit.jpg

8. Karl Fehlauer

Part 6
    All too soon our time was up and we had to leave. On Thursday night we stayed at the Homestead Campground and then headed off early Friday morning to catch the barge across back to the mainland.
    This is a place to put on your bucket list - I will be going back :D:D
    I hope you enjoyed my images.
    Sunset at the Homestead Campground
    2018-06-07 4WD - 019-Edit.jpg

Cape Ransonet - waiting for the barge
    2018-06-08 Drone 002-Edit.jpg
    2018-06-08 Drone 004-Pano-Edit.jpg
    2018-06-08 Drone 013-Edit.jpg

9. Mr Rum

Mr Rum Well-Known Member

Very much so.

Crisp drone shots.:cool:

Karl Fehlauer likes this.
  10. shanegtr

shanegtr Active Member

Thanks for posting up. I had put this place on the backburner as I was sure I read somewhere that you couldnt get camper trailers onto the barge. Clearly this isnt the case - might have to revisit the idea again.....

Mr Rum likes this.
  11. Karl Fehlauer

Not an issue at all - if in doubt contact Kieran but most standard vehicles and CT will fit.
    Karl

12. Mr Rum

Mr Rum Well-Known Member

They got a new barge back in 2015, and it can take combinations up to 10.6m long.

Book it!:)

13. shanegtr

shanegtr Active Member

that would make sense as it was before 2015 I looked at it

Mr Rum likes this.
  14. shanegtr

shanegtr Active Member

Just looked it up, at those prices to get my family of 6 over there it might stay on the backburner for a while yet!!!!!

15. teza h

teza h Well-Known Member

Great shots Karl...I love a barge trip to an island,always feels like an adventure.

Karl Fehlauer and richardlnsw like this.
  16. richardlnsw

richardlnsw Moderator

Are the blowholes on the island better than Thunder Bay? The island looks awesome, always have intended to go back so will have to put this on the list. Thanks for sharing.

17. Karl Fehlauer

Never got to Thunder Bay (assuming you mean Thunder Bay on DHI) - so I can't say but what I can say is this one was spectacular :)
    Karl

18. richardlnsw

richardlnsw Moderator

Sorry... Thunder bay near Steep Point.

19. greysrigging

greysrigging Well-Known Member

Mate of mine Kevin Rogers used to work on the former sheep station on Dirk Hartog.... he caretaked the place for quite a few years. Ended up making more money out of goats rather than sheep....