Digital radios in the bush .

Bomber2012

I’ve been thinking about buying a digital radio rather than using the carplay in my Hilux whilst parked up at camp as the CarPlay chews through the starting battery . The CarPlay is fantastic as far as reception goes but on 2 occasions I have had the footy on at night and in the morning the battery was flat . I looked into it a few years ago and was told the reception on the digital radios was average to non existent in the further out places in the high country . Has digital reception improved over the last few years ? Is anyone using a digital radio in the bush ?

Kippie

What digital radio? We live in central western Victoria and there's no such thing here. When I asked our local rep we were told that's work in progress. That was 10 years ago..... So I don't hold my breath that we're every going to get digital radio here. The alternative internet radio only works if you have internet, not much of that around the bush. For us silence is bliss, listen to the noises of the bush.

Bomber2012

What digital radio? We live in central western Victoria and there's no such thing here. When I asked our local rep we were told that's work in progress. That was 10 years ago..... So I don't hold my breath that we're every going to get digital radio here. The alternative internet radio only works if you have internet, not much of that around the bush. For us silence is bliss, listen to the noises of the bush.
Totally agree with silence in the bush but as I plan to slow down with work and spend more time away I thought it would be handy for weather forecasts etc .

billolga

If you have mobile reception you can use the "Tunein Radio" App to get almost any Radio Station in the World for Free (Or you can subscribe for extras).
We don't bother using the car radio on long trips as we Blue Tooth the phone to the car.

We also use "Freeview" for our TV as well but, sorry mate they do NOT broadcast AFL!
(If you get really desperate you can watch Rugby League) :oops:;)

Last edited:

Bomber2012

If you have mobile reception you can use the "Tunein Radio" App to get almost any Radio Station in the World for Free (Or you can subscribe for extras).
We don't bother using the car radio on long trips as we Blue Tooth the phone to the car.

We also use "Freeview" for our TV as well but, sorry mate they do NOT broadcast AFL!
(If you get really desperate you can watch Rugby League) :oops:;)
I couldn’t find the free tunein app , free for 1 month then $14.99 per month

Kippie

I use my Garmin Inreach to get weather forecasts. It's a few dollars more on top of the basic subscription. Good thing is that I can suspend the subscription when I don't need it.

cookie64

4x4 Earth Contributer
Bomber,
I got given a cheap little rechargeable Bluetooth speaker that I connect to my phone and just play some light music to listen to which saves my batteries, but have the BOM app for weather but that too relies on internet access but typically I do an update just before I lose internet so I can see what the weather is doing 5 days in advance.

Mind, I also have the HF Radio and get the weather via skeds everyday when remote.

cookie64

4x4 Earth Contributer
CarPlay flogs the battery, Might need to dig through some op shops and find a good old fashion “wireless “
Found one for you

Albynsw

CarPlay flogs the battery, Might need to dig through some op shops and find a good old fashion “wireless “

I don’t mean use CarPlay we just use our phone and a Bluetooth speaker and recharge the speaker when needed
Vehicle head unit only gets used when we are driving

Bomber2012

I don’t mean use CarPlay we just use our phone and a Bluetooth speaker and recharge the speaker when needed
Vehicle head unit only gets used when we are driving
No phone reception, means I need to rely on radio for weather/ news .

Triton14

Digital radio is really a metro thing, maybe 40/50km from a major city-

Most places I go Im lucky to get mobile reception let alone a normal radio signal which I dont mind.

Mind you can normally get ABC radio in most nook & cranny's of the country, if your into that sort of thing :oops::p

If its a lowsy night with no milky way to look at & admire then maybe it will be some songs playing from the phone via a bluetooth speaker.

barcher

If you're in the bush, no internet and probably no FM reception. The footy's on, Essendon is a good chance of winning. Maybe a good AM portable radio with an external AM antenna socket. No, not really a socket, just a screw where you can attach a few metres of insulated wire or a jumper lead works as well. You'll have to change stations a few times as they drift in and out and the one you're listening to will disappear one minute before full time. But that's camping.