Digital driver's licences

Kippie

In SA and NSW digital driver's licences have been introduced and are apparently fairly popular. Now VIC is starting a pilot program in Ballarat. I expect that soon all other jurisdictions will follow suit. The pros and cons are described succinctly in this article (I have no affiliation with the organisation that published the article, I just found it the most informative one.)

I admit that whilst it would be convenient, I'm not excited about the prospect to digitise more of my identity. There have been too many hacking incidents and I was a victim of the recent Optus one. So I am wary.

Am I paranoid or not?

Share your thoughts.

Krumpy

Ive found it handy. I tend to think in a situation like this the rms or your equivalent already has all of your details so what’s to lose?
Edit. After reading the article I don’t really see a downside so long a a physical licence remains an option. I used my digital licence for a flight check in after losing my wallet fishing and again used it for months after snapping my normal licence due to spending too long with my wallet in my back pocket and it snapping.

Last edited:

Swaggie

The problem will be with installing a live database to keep up with the Police Units on the road. The current system clearly does not especially with Vicroads for example.
They have to have a fairly big update as I’ve heard too many stories of people being fined and then have to prove they’ve either registered there vehicle or licence afterwards. It should be almost instantaneously once paid.

Albynsw

I have been using a digital license and creditcards for several years and haven’t carried a wallet for at least five years as have no use for one and never have cash. If my phone stopped working I am buggered

Albynsw

The problem will be with installing a live database to keep up with the Police Units on the road. The current system clearly does not especially with Vicroads for example.
They have to have a fairly big update as I’ve heard too many stories of people being fined and then have to prove they’ve either registered there vehicle or licence afterwards. It should be almost instantaneously once paid.

All our licencing and registration is instantaneous on line with payment

CTL

I admit that whilst it would be convenient, I'm not excited about the prospect to digitise more of my identity. There have been too many hacking incidents and I was a victim of the recent Optus one. So I am wary.

Am I paranoid or not?

Yep, being paranoid 100%

All of your drivers licence details, including your photos, are already “digitised” on a government database.

cookie64

4x4 Earth Contributer
Been living with it for years now, no registration labels so one doesn't actually have any physical ideas as to if the registration has lapsed but SA Gov do have an app that allows you to track the various vehicles & trailers, boats, Firearms registration, Electrical Licence etc from your phone, if you shake your phone while it is up it provides todays date & time to alert you that it is a real document and not simply a photo.

One thing to note is that if you hire a car they still want a physical drivers licence

All of your details, driving history, criminal history, address, date of birth etc etc etc is all online and the various departments can and do searches all the time, ATO crawl through your records looking for expenditure greater than declared income and so on.

Swaggie

Been living with it for years now, no registration labels so one doesn't actually have any physical ideas as to if the registration has lapsed but SA Gov do have an app that allows you to track the various vehicles & trailers, boats, Firearms registration, Electrical Licence etc from your phone, if you shake your phone while it is up it provides todays date & time to alert you that it is a real document and not simply a photo.

One thing to note is that if you hire a car they still want a physical drivers licence

All of your details, driving history, criminal history, address, date of birth etc etc etc is all online and the various departments can and do searches all the time, ATO crawl through your records looking for expenditure greater than declared income and so on.
Yeah and the Government has made millions, probably tens of millions off people through fines by removing the rego labels

Swaggie

I have been using a digital license and creditcards for several years and haven’t carried a wallet for at least five years as have no use for one and never have cash. If my phone stopped working I am buggered
That’s why you should still use cash mate.

So what happens when they digitise cash, they have full control.

When i fill up with fuel i always carry that amount in cash, once the system was down and there was a long line,I walked up and payed cash, that was a few years ago…No Idea how long they were there for…

boobook

The digital footprint horse bolted about 10 or 15 years ago.

If you don't want to be tracked then never use the internet, a phone, a credit card, or drive on a road displaying number plates.

Apple, Google and Facebook are the most insidious, and miles ahead of governments in manipulating what you see and have recorded.

If you have location turned off on your phone, it doesn't matter, Telstra, Optus and Vodafone know it from the towers and sell it anyway. If you leave wifi on, your phone tells the internet where it is even if you are not connected to that hotspot.

Don't have a credit card, it doesn't matter, the Banks sell the data, and the ATO benchmarks you against others for your use.

It's inescapable, as they say, "your resistance is futile"

Last edited:

Batts88

So if you have a car accident how do you swap info with the other driver if you have no internet connection. It mentioned in the link above no internet is a drawback for access to the license.
Just wondering as photos of the accident and car rego are not enough and the driver at fault could deny involement.

barcher

Bottleshops in the NT etc. Don't accept phone licences, they need the hard plastic variety.

Albynsw

I don’t think there is anywhere a digital license is not accepted in NSW

Take a screenshot of it if for when you don’t have reception

Colly18

I still have problems with everything being tied to my mobile phone. Yep, I'm happy to be labelled 'IT illiterate' or 'IT averse". I guess when we all have an implanted chip that 'sees and tells all' (to whoever?) I'll have no choice (but I'll be long dead by then). For now, I keep my emails, bank/financial transactions and as much identifying data as possible, off the phone. Plus, I love to turn the bloo_ _ thing off every now and again. I'll stick with all my cards and licences in my wallet for now. At least it is in my hip pocket where I can keep an eye on it!