Dig Options Navi Who's Happy?

blairv

Hi all,

More questions and I thought it may be better on a different thread.

I looked at and LST but was underwhelmed by the Nav System on board. So I went for an LSU and are looking at putting an aftermarket Nav/Audio system in it.

The Dig Options seem reasonably priced and quite good - does anyone have one installed and how do they find it? I am thinking of getting one with a reverse camera or the other option is a Parrot system.

Would love to hear from you guys if you have one installed

Thanks

Blair

Gavo

4x4 Earth Contributer
I had a dig options when I bought crusier.
Mine was a windows ce model. Frankly I hated it. Slow, with some daggy software.

IPod connectivity worked, but always started on an "A" artist. Painful ful.
Bluetooth worked, but horrible interface.
FM reception was average.

It's got some good features, ozi explorer was handy, so was on street nav. Reverse camera input, external screen options. If does do a lot.

But I hated it, but I love my technology and win ce isn't for me.

I sold mine on ebay, went to a nexus 7 for navigation, pioneer head unit which controls amp much better than the dig options.

All in all, if you can deal with a few daggy options and win ce it's quite a good unit.

Maybe mine was also an older model. So new ones may be better.

mauriceb

Have a look at the latest Android double din units some have same functions as a table including 3g ?? (which band), Win CE is on its way out .From what i looked at 1024x600 is the highest res i could find in the double din android . I think having a medium size galaxy 7-8 inch on the dash is a better option and easier to look at and cheaper than these units that may not be as reliable Shop double din android 4.4 online Gallery - Buy double din android 4.4 for unbeatable low prices on AliExpress.com

Ziggy

For me the quality of the maps is primary. I need detailed topos so went for Oztopo V.6 that runs in the wagon on a 7" Garmin and on the motorbike and on foot on a handheld Garmin.

mauriceb

Be interested in knowing how the OZTOP V.6 0 go My Garmin Topo v4 and all others i have have will run you around in a circle in remoter areas and kept recalulating so tap the top bar and see your next turn matches your map. Theres no names on roads, streams . Tracks and contour are same colour so hard the see which is which All the nuvi s unless they have changed only store the track log , you cant select them and load them on the unit like ozi, you have to use basecamp on the computer to do it ,correct me if it has changed . On a recent trip from Alice to well 33 via Gary junction garmin topo could not guide you there as IGO did even as this garmin map includes Aust street and roads

Ziggy

I had Garmin Topo Aus V2 and thought it was rubbish. Errors in map features and an effective scale that was too small.

Mind you, auto-routing with a large scale topo map is a big ask and I don't use it. If the route is going to include too many waypoints Oztopo V6 will just show a bearing line. You're supposed to be able to get around this by shortening the route and chaining those together as you go but I haven't tried it.

To convert tracks into routes it's still a Basecamp job with this Nuvi.

wopalx

I installed one after I bought the LX.

It lasted all of 3 months before I got the shits with the crappy interface and very poor glare resistance of the screen (i.e. you could not see the thing in daylight). Replaced with an Alpine that I'm very happy with.

blairv

I installed one after I bought the LX.

It lasted all of 3 months before I got the shits with the crappy interface and very poor glare resistance of the screen (i.e. you could not see the thing in daylight). Replaced with an Alpine that I'm very happy with.
What model Alpine did you change to?

Are we there yet

I've been looking at one of these from pioneer, comes with rear cam and will mirror your phone on the units touchscreen. So it's possible to 'stream' from a map app if that suits. It works with either android or iOS.

I couldn't do a link but this screenshot gives enough details if your interested. I have no affiliation with pioneer or the website in the picture, also I haven't purchased from them so can't say if they are a good or bad company. I have had a lot of pioneer car headunits over the years and never been disappointed, even in their low end range.

image.jpg

DavidFong

Have a look at the latest Android double din units some have same functions as a table including 3g ?? (which band), Win CE is on its way out .From what i looked at 1024x600 is the highest res i could find in the double din android . I think having a medium size galaxy 7-8 inch on the dash is a better option and easier to look at and cheaper than these units that may not be as reliable Shop double din android 4.4 online Gallery - Buy double din android 4.4 for unbeatable low prices on AliExpress.com
There appears to be a MU-X tailored double-DIN unit available in the Philippines

Growl Audio (seems to include MU-X specific fascia, though does the MU-X share the same fascia as the D-Max and Holden Colorado 7/Chevrolet Trailblazer?)

though, without enquiring much myself further, the Growl alibaba shop accessible from Australia is orientated towards commercial quantities :

Growl Android Car Dvd Gps Navigation Head Unit For Isuzu Mu-x 2012-2014 - Buy Android Car Dvd Gps Navigation Head Unit For Isuzu Mu-x,Head Unit Isuzu Mu-x,Car Dvd Gps Isuzu Mu-x Product on Alibaba.com

The current Growl head-unit appears to be based on the HuiFei unit :

HuiFei Android Radio - XDA-Developers
HuiFei - 2 DIN Pure Android 4.2.2/4.4.2/4.4.… | Android Development and Hacking | XDA Forums (900+ pages of discussion)
Amazon.com : Pumpkin Android 4.4 Double Din 6.2 inch Capacitive HD Multi-touch Screen Car DVD Player Stereo In Dash GPS Navi Navigation Support 3G/Wifi/OBD2/Bluetooth/DVR/1080P/Air Play/SD/USB/AM/FM Radio/7 Color Panel Lights : Automotive (an Amazon listing for what seems to be a similar unit)

(I don't have a MU-X yet, but hopefully soon!)

cherny

I got the DigOptions unit with a reversing cam fitted to my LS-U, so far so good if you can handle some minor UI quirks without the OCD kicking in. These guys actually offer after-sales support so you won't be left hanging. Also, the unit itself seems to be the one for a Rodeo so would in theory match a number of makes / models.

The colour of the front plastic is not 100% match but it's not too far off (it's got a grey-blue-ish tinge as opposed to black).

OziExplorer CE works a treat, and the selectable unit backlight when switched to red matches the rest nicely. It's kinda cool when you get some maps done with satellite imagery to give you the birds-eye view of the tracks.

If not fitting yourself, be wary of the BYO install service in a "brand" shop as in my case they did a poor job with testing the unit after fitting and blamed all the issues on the "Chinese cheapie". The GPS antenna has to sit in top of the dash to get a fix. The reversing camera fits nicely into the chrome bar recess (same spit where the LS-T has it). The reversing lines actually make sense if the cam is installed on the right angle.

DavidFong

If not fitting yourself, be wary of the BYO install service in a "brand" shop as in my case they did a poor job with testing the unit after fitting and blamed all the issues on the "Chinese cheapie". The GPS antenna has to sit in top of the dash to get a fix. The reversing camera fits nicely into the chrome bar recess (same spit where the LS-T has it). The reversing lines actually make sense if the cam is installed on the right angle.
At least one set of videos regarding fitting the D-Max

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSpxqXrHzQQ (from the one minute mark)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PbeOiWGtdE (the second video)

suggest running the GPS cable up the front-right pillar and then site the GPS under the roof?! (though I'm not sure if having roof metal between the GPS unit and the sky is so great).

Incidentally, do you know how they ran the cable from the unit to the rear camera?

cherny

Incidentally, do you know how they ran the cable from the unit to the rear camera?
I *suspect* (I haven't followed the cable all the way) they ran it under the body seals (side and top) on the passenger side. I still need to figure out how it's done at the tailgate.

Buxter

Love my Dig Options unit, 4 years now.

At first I hated it, but when I started using it everywhere, it turned out to be fine.
But after the "Absolute Pounding" I have given to my unit, and it still goes, I can only praise it.
The unit has only let me down after a few hours of really bad Corrugations, on the Anne Beadell, The Connie Sue, the Gary, and Sandy Blight Road, last year.
Then again our Samsung 10" Tablet, we took as backup, gave it up as well.

Those Corrugations rattled my brain to bits too.
Once back on smooth roads again, away it went, and has never missed a beat (touchwood)

I have heaps of electronic maps, including Rooftop, and Hema, and they all work fine.
Igo 8 is a good Street to Street System, for Towns anywhere in Oz.

It is true that if you are "driving along", it is a little slow to find Satellites, but once you figure it out then allow an extra couple of minutes to get on board.

Cheers
Buxter

cherny

How noticeable is the GPS antenna. Pic would be appreciated.
Haven't got a pic of the antenna, but it's a roughly 3x3x1cm (WxDxH) piece, you can stick it at the very corner of the dash (right on top of the speaker which is not ideal but works) or get it to upper either corner of the windscreen. Mine sits on the dash right off the edge of the speaker, you can see it but it doesn't bug me (all that much...).