Diff swap front to back in a 60

ian.c

Got a question about using a front diff centre in the rear of my 60, the old rear one sounds ready to disintegrate , I have a spare front one in the shed, I've heard they can be swapped , is this true ? I thought they would have a different crown and pinion as most force is exerted in opposite directions. Any info or opinions would be appreciated.
This will be a stop gap measure only as I do wish to totally rebuild the rear end as funds allow. Cheers guys .

ian.c

Got a question about using a front diff centre in the rear of my 60, the old rear one sounds ready to disintegrate , I have a spare front one in the shed, I've heard they can be swapped , is this true ? I thought they would have a different crown and pinion as most force is exerted in opposite directions. Any info or opinions would be appreciated.
This will be a stop gap measure only as I do wish to totally rebuild the rear end as funds allow. Cheers guys .
Just seem rebuilt ones for sale and the advert says front or back so there you go , I will swap them out and see how it goes.

ian.c

Yeah, but won't you now have to drive around in reverse so all the bits rotate the right way? :rolleyes:o_O
Haha yeah chatty I swapped the old flogged out one with the one that goes the other way, now with five gears in reverse I don't have to worry bout where I'm going any more, and those pricks that leave high beam on as they tailgate me hahaha
Blinded for hours hahaha,
Actually Nah still goes the same direction mate. But very smooth and whisper quiet Yay It worked :confused:

Last edited:

ian.c

Funny that my drunk mate didn't believe I could change a diff centre without taking the wheels of or even jacking up anything, haha yeah I didn't let him help but he makes a good bundy and coke , heaps of ice