Diesel vs petrol 4wd

greysrigging

Jeez.... I've always thought the only reason you run a diesel ute is for all the 'free' fuel you score from your work site...... hundreds of thousands of klms worth.....:cool:

My CX-5 is an AWD Softroader not a proper fourbie; that said, I love my diesel.It has a bucketload of torque in the bottom end, which makes it an absolute ton of fun on the soft n loose stuff, and aired down gives it a heap of grip on the lumpy bumpy rough stuff. I've only done light towing with it (under 500kg) but it moves like there's nothing on the bar and pulls up sweet as.

Just got back to Melbourne from Tasmania. Petrol & Diesel around 149.9c a litre and LPG between 99.9c & 109.9c - if you can find a servo with it.

I'm confused at some of the comments that diesel cost more to maintain .
Anyone can service a diesel , no tuning required .
I find diesel engines a dream for remote living , getting a car to service centre is a major pain in the arse for me . A regular , simple service by me , has all my diesel cars running beautifully .
Having said that , a modern petrol engine isn't far behind and a joy to drive .

CaptainBanana

I'm confused at some of the comments that diesel cost more to maintain .
Anyone can service a diesel , no tuning required .
I find diesel engines a dream for remote living , getting a car to service centre is a major pain in the arse for me . A regular , simple service by me , has all my diesel cars running beautifully .
Having said that , a modern petrol engine isn't far behind and a joy to drive .
Cars under warranty require servicing by a qualified mechanic of course and they tend to charge more for the Diesels. Diesels also generally carry more oil so it's not uncommon to pay a little bit more for that as well. Diesel parts cost more on the whole because they're more precise or more robust.

With that said I've had three new cars in a row which were/are diesels (Mazda wagon/Triton lemon /Renault van) and only found the Triton underperforming and too thirsty although still miles aged of my jeep.

I moved back to a V8 4WD more recently and I can tell you I forgot just how much fuel these things suck down, it is very expensive and I'm glad it's only a weekend toy. Tomorrow I'm off the Halls Gap with the caravan and I'm wondering if I'm going to see fuel figures under 25 L per hundred... with the exact same caravan my Mazda was doing 12 litres per hundred k's. When it comes to economy is hard to argue that a loaded diesel is a smart choice especially if you spend a lot of time loaded.

Last edited: