Diesel in the winter time

BUSHNUT

If you are heading up to the snow or you are starting to get severe frosts , it is time to treat your diesel.

Diesel fuel contains many heavy hydrocarbon waxes, and thus when it is exposed to low temperatures these waxes begin to solidify. This prevents the diesel fuel from passing through fuel filters on engines, and makes the engine hard to start. The pour point, or gel point, is the temperature at which the diesel fuel will no longer flow. The cold filter plugging point (CFPP) is the temperature at which the fuel will no longer pass through a standard filter.

Most oil refineries make different grades of diesel for summer and winter. The most common method of making winter diesel is to add a blend of lighter hydrocarbons (such as kerosene) to the fuel. This often makes winter diesel more expensive than summer diesel.

There are additives you can buy, I'm not pushing any barrow

Bushnut

bazzook

I was camped on the Moroka river alpine nat park one easter with my td 42. each morning it was getting harder to start with a lot of snow about. the 3rd day it just wouldn't start. i boiled some water and poured it over the injectors and it fired. it was lucky cause no-one else was around

GippsSurfer

if heading to the alpine areas during snow seasons, the best thing to do is not completely fill up before you leave home.... put in just enough to get you to the servo that has the alpine fuel and then fill the tank to the top!

BUSHNUT

Yeah Ven,

You Banana benders used to say the same about the rain, have you started building your Ark yet ?

Before you get all indignant and hurt, Bundaberg is famous for a few things, Bert Hinkler, Bundy and me - I was born there , but they couldn't handle it !

Regards

Bushnut

Ven

ark is finished, get with the times :D all that needs doing is a big ass bar with plenty of beer :D

goldrush

I'm with you Ven. Just make sure the bar has real beer and not that Vic bitter poison. LOL

Cheers

Cliff

bazzook

For The Banana Benders. This Is Snow
Td42 Mt Wellington Summit Alpine National Park
Zook [ Current Ride] Mt St Gwinnear.

Attachments

• MT ST GWINNEAR.JPG
    MT ST GWINNEAR.JPG
    21.5 KB · Views: 121
  • MT WELLINGTON.JPG
    MT WELLINGTON.JPG
    16.1 KB · Views: 128

Tats

If you're going to bring alcohol into the argument, then there is nothin' better as a heart starter in a blizzard than Tooheys Black with a charge of Inner Circle 54. Gets everything operating on all cylinders.

Tats

Guppy

Hi Tats

I did Tassie last winter and went looking for additives but all fuel stations advised me that the fuel already has the additive added for fuel in the high risk areas. I have to believe them as had no problems. But no way I am saying you are wrong in what you say. Would be good to get conformation on this.

Greg
4wd.almanzor.id.au

4X4

As GippsSurfer has pointed out in an earlier post, fill up once in the Alpine area. They automatically have the Winter fuel as required and also it puts a little profit into the pockets of struggling locals!