Dewalt xr chainsaw

dabbler

Love my 40cm Dewalt. I travel with 2x6ah Flexvolt batteries, mains charger and recharge using a small inverter. Rarely need to do more than top up though.

Bomber2012

They certainly look very good , I saw a pretty impressive review on the Milwaukee saws and quickly checked out the Stihl ones while waiting to pick my petrol one up after a service . Reckon the smaller petrol ones will take a price hit .

shaun0

They certainly look very good , I saw a pretty impressive review on the Milwaukee saws and quickly checked out the Stihl ones while waiting to pick my petrol one up after a service . Reckon the smaller petrol ones will take a price hit .
Yeah only issue with the Stihl is it doesnt come with anything you have to buy the charger and battery separate. When I bought mine at Cooma Stihl they had a deal going so I got the 2nd battery 50% off. I asked them about this and they said its because its part of the professional range and the battery fits all the other stuff like hedge trimmer etc. Sounds like an excuse to me but I bought it anyway.

dabbler

Most of you probably know cordless gear is often sold in bundles. There is one at the moment on Dewalt CS, small blower, battery and charger. If you're just switching to cordless or modern cordless, the options are limitless if you have spare cash.

When I bought my CS about 18mo ago, I already owned a few Dewalt skins, batteries and chargers so I just settled for the skin. The nice surprise was TradeTools threw in a bonus battery and chain oil.

red hilux

I’m in the same boat.

I’ve got dewalt everything.

I’ve just bought of eBay some adaptors that lets you run xr battery on older skins.

This saves me buying a new circular saw, torch, angle grinder, 1/2” driver

I’ve also bought 2 4ah dewalt copy batteries and charger. Experiment plus mainly for the 4wd.

Albynsw

I bought the 36v Makita XCU03Z chainsaw about a month ago and only took it out of the box this morning as I had some trees down on the road and had no 2 stroke
Very impressed with how it goes, it was chewing up 250 diameter hardwood with ease.
It easily can match my little M170 Stihl ( but not my woodboss)
Very comfortable to hold and the weight is good

Bomber2012

I’m in the same boat.

I’ve just bought of eBay some adaptors that lets you run xr battery on older skins.

I’ve also bought 2 4ah dewalt copy batteries and charger. Experiment plus mainly for the 4wd.
The ones that catch fire ??

shaun0

Experienced with both now and electric is good but no substitute for a bigger petrol ones like my 562 husky cuts big logs like butter but its more bulky and weight. The electric is one I take all the time but if going into some areas with potentail big trees across the road the petrol one in is for sure.

I bought the 36v Makita XCU03Z chainsaw about a month ago and only took it out of the box this morning as I had some trees down on the road and had no 2 stroke
Very impressed with how it goes, it was chewing up 250 diameter hardwood with ease.
It easily can match my little M170 Stihl ( but not my woodboss)
Very comfortable to hold and the weight is good
Hey Alby,
I'm keen on the 405 Makita. Quick Q: Do you reckon there is any advantage in having the 16in over a 12 or 14in for general backyard and camping use?? Only benefit I can see is the bar is obviously a bit shorter to fit in the back of the car. The new 12 in Makita single 18v gets rave reviews, chain speed is a bit faster than the big saws and is obviously a lot smaller. Seems to get as many cuts as the bigger saws, as well?? I have other Makita stuff, so want to stick with that and need a new saw anyway.
Any thoughts appreciated.
Cheers
PP

I’m in the same boat.

Thanks for that hint re adaptor!

Albynsw

Hey Alby,
I'm keen on the 405 Makita. Quick Q: Do you reckon there is any advantage in having the 16in over a 12 or 14in for general backyard and camping use?? Only benefit I can see is the bar is obviously a bit shorter to fit in the back of the car. The new 12 in Makita single 18v gets rave reviews, chain speed is a bit faster than the big saws and is obviously a lot smaller. Seems to get as many cuts as the bigger saws, as well?? I have other Makita stuff, so want to stick with that and need a new saw anyway.
Any thoughts appreciated.
Cheers
PP
The model I bought has the 14 inch bar , I do have a little Ozito pruning saw that I was using for camping which is 10 or 12 inch bar can’t remember

I went with that model battery saw more so because it was a traditional shape saw not a pruning type. Mine has the batteries in between the chain and handle whereas the other model the batteries are at the back.

As an all rounder I think the traditional style is better but for camping maybe the advantages of the smaller arborist type may be a better choice if you want to save space.

The model I bought has the 14 inch bar , I do have a little Ozito pruning saw that I was using for camping which is 10 or 12 inch bar can’t remember

I went with that model battery saw more so because it was a traditional shape saw not a pruning type. Mine has the batteries in between the chain and handle whereas the other model the batteries are at the back.

As an all rounder I think the traditional style is better but for camping maybe the advantages of the smaller arborist type may be a better choice if you want to save space.

Thanks A.
Yeah, I'm leaning towards the new 16in, might be handier but the new little 10in arborist saw looks like it rips, but 10inch is a bit limiting.
Always pretty happy to buy a new Makita anything.
cheers
PP

Thanks A.
Yeah, I'm leaning towards the new 16in, might be handier but the new little 10in arborist saw looks like it rips, but 10inch is a bit limiting.
Always pretty happy to buy a new Makita anything.
cheers
PP
I have the 16" (40cm) DeWalt in 54v but I use a recipro for small stuff, even for stripping a major trunk or branch before I get stuck in to slicing and dicing.

I can kill myself with either.