Change background image

Defender details at last

Discussion in 'General 4x4 Discussion' started by discomatt, Sep 13, 2018.

1. discomatt

discomatt Well-Known Member

Aaron Schubert and barcher like this.
  2. Albynsw

Albynsw Well-Known Member

Hopefully they do a decent Ute variant

Spooner likes this.
  3. discomatt

I think they will, the 130 was a good seller and had the highest payload of any commercial ute in Australia which made for great work utes and touring, its just a shame they were so dam uncomfortable with a door shoved into your right side and a hand break pocking the left with the steering wheel off set from the peddles and trim standards from the 70's

megamung likes this.
  4. Chatty

Chatty Well-Known Member

Yeah, drove a company one for a while - it would go pretty much anywhere (except where you pointed it - the steering was at best a guessing game) but after driving for a while you came out absolutely convinced that they should have had a standard issue full time chiropractor with them...
    But unstoppable on construction sites.

boobook, discomatt and Albynsw like this.
  5. Albynsw

Yes I loved the look of them but just horrible to be in them

phs likes this.
  6. discomatt

They actually made to 79 feel good in comparison , quite an achievement ;)

Albynsw and Chatty like this.
  7. Choook

Choook Well-Known Member

I hope they don't make it look too soft, I'm not a fan of the new Discovery. Have seen many videos of it in action and it appears very capable but it just looks too "Potts Point", too "pretty", and that tailgate o_O, I hope that person is not on the Defender design team. I think the most dirt a lot of new Discovery's will see is what settles on the outside after it rains. The new Defender doesn't have to look agricultural but it doesn't have to be "pretty" and I don't think the die hard enthusiasts want it to be "pretty". Capable, yes. Functional, yes. Comfortable, yes. Pretty, hmmmmmm. Very interested to see what appears.

megamung and Albynsw like this.
  8. phs

phs Well-Known Member

They had an awkward cabin seat arrangement

Albynsw likes this.
  9. discomatt

Thats polite , I would have said its shit house and makes the whole car not worth owning regardless of any capability

Rhett HS, phs and mikehzz like this.
  10. mikehzz

mikehzz Well-Known Member

Full electric variants....a bold move I'd be interested in. Is Lucas still in business? :)

Chatty likes this.
  11. shanegtr

shanegtr Active Member

I think LR lost it a bit with the new disco - its very nice inside but I think its too much into the Luxury Range Rover territory to be considered a "family" 4wd which was more what the previous gen disco was. Plus it looks plain revolting IMHO. After several year of owning my D3 I think it is one of the best all round 4wds going - it does the black top very well, handles gravel roads no problems and doesn't seem to have many issues going off road either, and can seat 7 adults in comfort (including the 3rd row which a few of the big sellers cant do nearly as well). I think the new defender will fill the gap that the new disco created, but it would have been nicer to have Range Rover as the uber luxo barge, disco for the family and Defender for the workhorse/tourer.

discomatt likes this.
  12. discomatt

No more lucas parts in them as far as I am aware, thank god

megamung likes this.
  13. Albynsw

Funny I was just about to say the same thing and then read your post lol
    It can’t be that hard to put the steering wheel in front of the driver when designing a car can it?

phs likes this.
  14. mikehzz

mikehzz Well-Known Member

You can move the milk crate you are sitting on around to suit?

smitty_r51 and Albynsw like this.
  15. phs

phs Well-Known Member

Product review comment

- My feet get wet when it rains. I can't hear my girlfriend talk when we drive (sorry, this should be in the 'Pros' section). What was the point in putting a stereo in......the only time you can hear the bloody thing is at the lights. The cabin was designed by a one legged 3'4" midget. It handles on road like a wheelbarrow full of walruses, ergonomics? what ergonomics!

megamung, discomatt and Albynsw like this.
  16. boobook

boobook Well-Known Member

I think if Matt gets his 18's he has the pick of the bunch.

17. discomatt

I have them with 265/65/18 BFG KO's and yes it is good:)
    Still taking the old girl to Toolangi on Saturday though;)

18. Albynsw

In a space cab and the Indians might get my money
    ( I just quoted myself hahaha)

19. rob_macca67

rob_macca67 Well-Known Member

The Defender is/was for a unique market and unfortunately, that doesn't mean huge volumes of vehicle sales, so I really cannot see the new one appealing to many of the diehard Defender Owners.
    The new one will be driven by electronics (like all new cars these days) but only time will tell how reliable they will be in the long run.... the beauty of the older ones were that they were basic in design and fairly easy to repair, unlike any new car these days, so will they suit those that love exploring, & travelling to remote destinations ??
    I've come from Toyotas into an old Disco before getting a couple of Defender 110s, a '95 model and a '09 model (yes, I've got the bug) and I love them for their uniqueness and their flexibility. For me they're my touring vehicle of choice for the moment but when I do eventually retire and hopefully get to travel a lot more often, I'm not sure what vehicle will suit our needs but until then I'll continue to enjoy my Defenders and the benefits that go along with it.

Albynsw likes this.
  20. boobook

boobook Well-Known Member

Actually Rob. I look at it a different way. Land Rovers used to fill all the 4x4 market. It's just that the market moved on and the Defender didn't.

A true new generation defender could be the very best 4wd if it isn't based on the Disco. The 70 series is as close as it gets today but a good refresh of that would be great to. Just a few concessions to comfort and a wider rear track would be good start. Let's hope Land Rover come up with a decent 4x4, not a snob mobile.

mikehzz and Albynsw like this.