Deep creek number 1.

80lover96gxl

Hi Brian

I think there is alot of info about it in this thread

Obviously it can get dangerouse, cost to maintain it is high and apparently they need a specific machine to grade it properly.

Great track thow

Cheers mate, thought it would be a maintenance issue.

I'll have a good read thruogh the thread tonight.

troopie13

deep creek 1

did track 1 from track 2 going towards Walhalla, about 5 weeks ago, track was dry down into creek, track was in OK condition, in this direction only running AT on Troopy.

redefine82

hey guys has anyone been up to Walhalla lately? Was planning a weekend up there but read on Vic tracks on Fb that trees and mounds of dirt had been put across deep creek 1 & 2 Can anyone confirm this?

Lil_Miss

hey guys has anyone been up to Walhalla lately? Was planning a weekend up there but read on Vic tracks on Fb that trees and mounds of dirt had been put across deep creek 1 & 2 Can anyone confirm this?

Was up there the last 2 weeks and did DC1. Yes technically there are trees and mounds but not blocking this track, it's just changed it a bit. The only track blocked is the steep hill on DC4, the chicken track is now the only track

lockee

A mate has spoken to now, 4 rangers with Parks who said talk to DEPI. The DEPI guy has advised that #1 is shut due to the rock ledge causing injury to motorbike riders with difficult access for Ambulance.

They paid a dozer to try and fix, no success so they have shut it until they can get funds to fix it.

I pushed for a price, they said around $5k, I've been given the details of the next lot of people up the food chain after providing the offer to either:
1, get clubs to sponsor signage indicating the track difficulty and leave the track as is, untouched. Ideal. Also providing a challenge for drivers keeping them off other more important fire access tracks.
2, we do a fundraiser, get them the $$ to "fix" at an estimated $5k with a commitment to keep it open.

Not having been on the track, i vote for option number 1, but instead of clubs, how about we sponsor for signage. How many signs are needed and whats the cost?
Im happy to chip in a few $$ towards it
Anyone else?

How many motortwits...oops motorbike riders have been injured needing an ambo there??

Lil_Miss

A mate has spoken to now, 4 rangers with Parks who said talk to DEPI. The DEPI guy has advised that #1 is shut due to the rock ledge causing injury to motorbike riders with difficult access for Ambulance.

If DEPI have "shut" DC1, then they haven't done a very good job at all as there are NO blocks at the top of the hill.

lockee

https://www.facebook.com/free4x4

Facebook Group we have set up yesterday for this and other issues.

Would get clubs and Earth to provide signs.

Quite a few motorbikes need assistance on this.

Also putting together some clean up days to assist and spread the message

GUnka

Hmmmm, wonder how many walking trails get closed because a bush walker comes to grief or mountain bikers on tracks that stack have the tracks that they use and ambos cant access get closed. :rolleyes:

Swaggie

Hmmmm, wonder how many walking trails get closed because a bush walker comes to grief or mountain bikers on tracks that stack have the tracks that they use and ambos cant access get closed. :rolleyes:

Yeah mate I doubt it too, that's why we have rescue helicopters , a guy snapped his arm last year coming down Harts Spur riding into Wonnangatta with about 20 odd bikes. Anyway they were waiting for a 4x4 vehicle to go get him and I'm sure it was a helicopter ride from the gatta out....

maptrap

there is a lot of rumours and speculation on threads.. so take it from me.. this is what the scenario is (as I work with DEPI in this region as I manage the Aberfeldy Tracks Historic Project as many would know being Earth 4x4 Members)... it is temp. at the moment as gov't have cut funding and there is no money to fix it.. and the off camber ledge is not deemed safe... as too many accident have been happening lately... even the rescue crews were fed up and wanted it closed. Once funding is sourced they will be able to get large machinery in there.. but they migth have to divert that section.. so creating a new track around it must go through Native Title and other red tape... meetings are been held about it tomorrow.... patience is required people... nothing to do with new gov't, local ranger or anything like that... it is the way of our society.. if you work with OH & S issues each day- you people will know what I am talkign about....Regards Rudi Paoletti

Grumpy

Hi to all and no good speculating or trying to guess what is happening here with Deep Creek 1, the truth is a dozer and backhoe were assigned the task of fixing the problem and instead apparently made it worse, only a temp closure at this stage.

allanmac

4x4 Earth Contributer
Have they put 'Road Closed' signs at both ends of the track....:confused:.

If not, people will continue to drive it as not all 4wders are members of this forum or others like this, & probably will not be aware that it is closed; whether the closure be temporary or not. As usual, doesnt seem to be anything on Parks Vic website etc....:rolleyes: