Deep creek number 1.

PK Kitchens

From what I was told, they couldn't do it properly with there dozer they normally use, So in stead of paying extra for a bigger one they are ganna block it.

PK

redefine82

No that's not there job at all.

It's their job to keep trade free of obsticals and maintain them to a level that it can be used a fire access. That's it. It's all about the fire access.
But what they should of done is either gated it after they sent the dozer down or waiting until after the long weekend so there would be less traffic over it.

Either way they aren't done with that track, it's getting closed completely from the top end, so it's will be one way in and 1 way out.
PK

Steve You are contradicting yourself haha (and I know its not your fault) you say they are there to make fire access trails but now blocking it off. a blocked track has less fire access than a more difficult track...
either way its a pity that this iconic track is no longer open to the public. Lucky we got to drive it! Your wheel lift coming off the rock ledge is still the highest ive ever seen !

I think the decision to close the track, is based on how driveable the track is.

A nice challenging drive in a modified 4x4 on a clear day, isn't the same as a near impossible track in a fire support vehicle in the middle of a bush fire.

The main concern for the DSE is that it is safe and useable for firefighters, not challenging for weekend worriers like ourselves.

Is there a way WE here at 4x4earth could "sponsor" tracks to help keep them open like 4wd clubs in the USA do?
I would be happy to spend a few weekends a year to help out.

Grey Ghost

4x4 Earth Contributer
Well we drove Deep Creek 5 and 1 on the weekend and I would suggest anyone thinking of doing them to wait until things dry up a bit. Deep Creek 5 was graded and has a couple of greasy hills on it, and yep the top entrance to the creek bed on Deep Creek 1 is a complete balls up at the moment, muddy and steep and off camber and if it wasn't for friends I trust I'm sure my Pootrol would be in the deep poo by now as I didn't manage the right hand turn down into the creek entrance quite s well as I would have liked.

madgq

Another reason they may look at closing this track is there have been many rescues on this track in the last few years, and people have also lost there lives on this track

allanmac

4x4 Earth Contributer
An update on Deep Creek 1.

A few of us were up there on Saturday & the 'ledge' is back...:). Coming in from the Walhalla end, the right hand side is similar too what it used to be; my rear diff can testify to that...:eek:, but the left hand side seems to be much smaller. It seems most vehicles have used that side, as the 'mushy section' after getting over has also returned. As you climb up, the off camber section is also starting to return & it wont be long before it is back to its 'pucker moment' condition...:eek:. It was quite slippery, especially for the few of us who were running A/T's, as I did slide towards the edge where it is very soft...:eek:

All of the track leading in from the Walhalla end has been graded down to the creek. All ruts & ledges which caused lots of undercarriage bashing are now gone & TBO, I quite enjoyed the drive down the steep descent without all the 'bashing & crashing'..:). Deep Creek 4 has also had some work done on it & there was a section where 4 of us had to winch up the last 10 metres as it was slippery & rutted with most vehicles 'bellied out'. Also the steep alternative track just after the creek has been closed with huge dirtmounds & trees.

Have heard, but cant confirm, that DEPI will monitor the track before making any further decision as to earlier reports of it being closed. If the track gets back to its original state, I suspect permanent, or at the very least seasonal, closure will happen.

Even though this idea will fall on 'deaf ears', for all the 4wders who want this iconic track to remain open, when it is a wet day or after recent heavy rain, alter your plans for the day & DONT DRIVE IT!. There are plenty of other great tracks in the area & just maybe if we 4wders dont go near it on wet days, it may remain open for a few more years to come.

Unfortunately, I wont hold my breath as to this happening...:(.

PS, will put up some pics/video of the track over the next few days.

phs

Any up dates on this tracks current condition since the weather has turned a bit ?

Lil_Miss

Was up there 2 weekends ago and the track is still open. They've changed it a bit after you get out of the creek so it's not as hard as it was when first changed. The rock step still isn't back but the side angle on the edge up the hill is still there.

It's obviously dried out completely with the weather we've had lately. There are no greasy parts at present.

phs

^ thanks for that lil miss

The off camber section is that the last section before the top that usually has a few logs pushed to the right ?

allanmac

4x4 Earth Contributer
phs; sorry for taking so long to put up video, but this is Deep Creek 1 in August this year. As I said earlier, the ledge is back & suspect the side angle on the way up is now well & truly back.

[YOUTUBE]YKoNGLq--kM&index=37&list=PLjSp18mpvDmNDiZIlXl_No0OXyZK7BdNF[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited:
An update on Deep Creek 1.

A few of us were up there on Saturday & the 'ledge' is back...:). Coming in from the Walhalla end, the right hand side is similar too what it used to be; my rear diff can testify to that...:eek:, but the left hand side seems to be much smaller. It seems most vehicles have used that side, as the 'mushy section' after getting over has also returned. As you climb up, the off camber section is also starting to return & it wont be long before it is back to its 'pucker moment' condition...:eek:. It was quite slippery, especially for the few of us who were running A/T's, as I did slide towards the edge where it is very soft...:eek:

All of the track leading in from the Walhalla end has been graded down to the creek. All ruts & ledges which caused lots of undercarriage bashing are now gone & TBO, I quite enjoyed the drive down the steep descent without all the 'bashing & crashing'..:). Deep Creek 4 has also had some work done on it & there was a section where 4 of us had to winch up the last 10 metres as it was slippery & rutted with most vehicles 'bellied out'. Also the steep alternative track just after the creek has been closed with huge dirtmounds & trees.

Have heard, but cant confirm, that DEPI will monitor the track before making any further decision as to earlier reports of it being closed. If the track gets back to its original state, I suspect permanent, or at the very least seasonal, closure will happen.

Even though this idea will fall on 'deaf ears', for all the 4wders who want this iconic track to remain open, when it is a wet day or after recent heavy rain, alter your plans for the day & DONT DRIVE IT!. There are plenty of other great tracks in the area & just maybe if we 4wders dont go near it on wet days, it may remain open for a few more years to come.

Unfortunately, I wont hold my breath as to this happening...:(.

PS, will put up some pics/video of the track over the next few days.

Earlier in this thread/post if I remember correctly, we pretty much can see its a dry weather track unless we are pushing for permanent closure.
So I assume it was very wet when you went through?

allanmac

4x4 Earth Contributer
Earlier in this thread/post if I remember correctly, we pretty much can see its a dry weather track unless we are pushing for permanent closure.
So I assume it was very wet when you went through?

No Anthony, it was dry when we went through,a little rain earlier in the week, but it had been driven when fairly wet as the section just above the ledge had been badly chopped up.

Last edited:

phs

Last time there in May 2014 down to the creek walhalla side was in very average nic ( did get 50mm of rain the night prior ) and definetly was not intending on going there after so much rain it was logged on my GPS from years ago I thought it was a link track to Burgoynes gap.

Any way it was in a bad state as it was when we came down the other direction xmass 2012

Hoping to give it a look in this xmass given the weather is good

Grumpy

I will speak with Noel regarding this track and hopefully get an update on it for all. Shame to have it closed.

80lover96gxl

We have a group heading to wallhalla at easter next yr and this is one of the main tracks we are looking at driving, actually one of the main reason to start our trip at walhalla.

Is there any reason in particular that their looking at closing this track ?

GUnka

We have a group heading to wallhalla at easter next yr and this is one of the main tracks we are looking at driving, actually one of the main reason to start our trip at walhalla.

Is there any reason in particular that their looking at closing this track ?

Would definitely be a let down if we couldn't do this one Brian :(

phs

Hi Brian

I think there is alot of info about it in this thread

Obviously it can get dangerouse, cost to maintain it is high and apparently they need a specific machine to grade it properly.

Great track thow