Deep creek number 1.

PK Kitchens

Hey just thought I would let ppl know. I was talking to someone who works with DSE a lot. He was telling me that deep creek 1 will be closed permanently from the step up to the top. You'll be able to access down to the creek bed but not any further.

It's because they are doing a lot of track work around the area and they can't get there normal bull dozer down the rock section. They need a much bigger one and don't want to pay the extra $$$ to get one in.

So pretty much they are going to close it off and never to been seen again,
If ppl want to drive it then I would suggest to do so very soon, but do be carful as it's not a track for the under prepared. The second section after the rock step is fairly dangerous.

PK

Swaggie

Thought it was under Seasonal Closure, obviously I am wrong, glad I did it all a few years ago now but was talking to a mate about taking him down for a look later this year, might have to make it earlier...

Cheers..

Hey just thought I would let ppl know. I was talking to someone who works with DSE a lot. He was telling me that deep creek 1 will be closed permanently from the step up to the top. You'll be able to access down to the creek bed but not any further.

It's because they are doing a lot of track work around the area and they can't get there normal bull dozer down the rock section. They need a much bigger one and don't want to pay the extra $$$ to get one in.

So pretty much they are going to close it off and never to been seen again,
If ppl want to drive it then I would suggest to do so very soon, but do be carful as it's not a track for the under prepared. The second section after the rock step is fairly dangerous.

PK

Thankx PK,

We did a run through there yesterday & they have graded it.
They have put trees & big mounds in 50mtrs up from the creek exit.
The track now goes over left on the black mushy stuff & it's getting chewed out fast with risk of falling off the left side if you don't make it & have to back up (you go left) :eek:
Then it switches right, & up, so basically totally stuffed up what could have been a str8 run up rocky sort of terrain.
Anyway, although it was graded, it proved to be dangerous still as on the way up the hill afterwards one of the group I was told ended up with some tyres over the right bank:eek:

It was all good in the end, a little longer day than planned, but a great day & drive anyhow.
I think digger might throw up a trip report :D
There is some entertaining videos coming soon!

Digger Much appreciate your efforts organising & leading the trips you do.
Also well done taking charge of the recovery situations & well handled!
In particular the other 3 vehicles stuck in our path. (Not our group)
Thank you.

Last edited:

PK Kitchens

Thankx PK,

We did a run through there yesterday & they have graded it.
They have put trees & big mounds in 50mtrs up from the creek exit.
The track now goes over left on the black mushy stuff & it's getting chewed out fast with risk of falling off the left side if you don't make it & have to back up (you go left) :eek:
Then it switches right, & up, so basically totally stuffed up what could have been a str8 run up rocky sort of terrain.
Anyway, although it was graded, it proved to be dangerous still as on the way up the hill afterwards one of the group I was told ended up with some tyres over the right bank:eek:

It was all good in the end, a little longer day than planned, but a great day & drive anyhow.

Thank you.

Yeah they tried grading it but couldn't do all of it like they wanted so they are ganna block the lot off.

PK

phs

That's a shame who. Calls the shots on deciding to just close a track ?
Is this not a seasonal closure ?

I was there 3 weeks ago.

Any how if it's going to shit up shop I'll have to head back

Yeah they tried grading it but couldn't do all of it like they wanted so they are ganna block the lot off.

PK

Seems to be the way with many tracks. :(

For those interested, I don't think that one gets seasonally closed, same as others in the area. Trig should be closed I think.

80lover96gxl

Gee I hope they stay open, was hoping to drive this track when we come over for the vic meet in November.
From the trip reports iv read and vids iv seen it looks like a great drive.

Digger1982

Thank you.[/QUOTE]

Cheers mate, thank you!

Big shame if they close this track it's a great iconic track and personally one of my favorites. I couldn't believe the way it was graded by DSE they should be ashamed. Made the track so much more dangerous and nearly un drive able. This is not a track for an inexperienced driver. Please take care especially when wet.

Will try and get Lil to put a trip report up. Going to be a long one though lol. Great weekend away. Loved it how everyone pulled together on a tough track to make sure everyone gets through and out the other end of the track.

Last edited:

discomatt

would not surprise me at all if the track was closed for good:(
The DSE have made it undriveable if thats a word:p and my first impression when I saw what they have done to it was that they had already or are about to shut it down.:mad:

Would love to get my hands on the #@*& behind a desk who makes decisions like that

allanmac

4x4 Earth Contributer
Maybe it is just me..:eek:, but a little confused about which section you guys are talking about..:confused:. I presume it is the climb AFTER the rock ledge if entering from the Walhalla side or is it the section PRIOR to reaching the rock ledge?????. Am looking forward to seeing some pics of the graded section.

As others have said, it will be a real shame if this track is permanently closed as it is one of the high country iconic tracks. Cant remember the exact year; 2007 I think, we spent all day clearing the track after the big floods had devastated most of the Walhalla area. A couple of pics of what we saw when we arrived at the river bed...:eek:

7786_IMG_81741.jpg

688507_IMG_81721.jpg

Starting the 'clearing process'.

653280_IMG_81801.jpg

Ready to drive...we think.

473633_IMG_81821.jpg

190040_IMG_81841.jpg

Like many others, I often wonder how DEPI/Parks Vic decide what should be seasonally closed/graded etc. Whilst I suspect many here will disagree, I believe all the Deep Creek tracks should, or should have, been seasonally closed. (I can already hear people screaming abuse...;)). If this had been the case with these tracks, & many others in the area, then maybe the powers to be would not have to resort to grading & potential closures. If the Deep Creek tracks had been seasonally closed over the winter months & not had vehicles on them when they are continually wet & muddy,, they may have recovered enough to be left alone & for us to enjoy in future years.

Swaggie

Yeah I agree with you mate regarding seasonal closure, it looks in a bad state from what I have seen in the past.. Hopefully they try seasonal before permanently closing it..

reddahaydn

They've were pretty much closed all last winter due to the fires weren't they, however there was bugger all signage around to tell people that.

They probably graded it due to the numbers of rollovers recently of people climbing the hill after the rock step out of the creek.