Deciding on which tent RV-3 lite or... what?

SuperSteve

So we're getting ready to upgrade our tent. Currently we're using a little instant pop up tent, but we want something a bit roomier and more comfortable.

I have long liked the oztents, and I've been leaning towards the RV-3 lite. Besides being a good deal cheaper than the canvas, it's lighter, which makes getting it on the roof a lot easier.

It's me, the wife, and sometimes the corgi. We have a zempire monstamat twin, which based on the dimensions will give us a little room inside, and at 190cm I can almost stand upright.

Is the canvas worth the extra expense and weight? If so maybe go a 4 or 5.

Are there any other good options?

I want reasonably tall tent (I'm 192cm), and I want to have space for more than a mattress inside (I know the RV3 won't have a huge amount) and also a reasonably quick set up. I also want a decent awning on it, and like that the oztent has some good accessories for that. The lite less than the canvas.

I saw Darche has their new Kozi line with an 'instant' 6p tent that looks alright, and Coleman instant ups seem popular, although the Colemans don't seem to have much in the way of a big shady awning.

I like the idea of inflatable tents but of course have never experienced it one and the wife is wary.

Budget wise i'm thinking 500-1k, but I need to do up a spreadsheet for the other stuff we're also going to get and work out how much money we can allocate to a tent. Of course, less on a tent is more elsewhere, but I don't want to buy crap either.

So any thoughts?

Kippie

We have the Coleman 4P and indeed it has a small awning. However, we park the car close by and use its awning instead. Inside the tent we have two extremely comfortable stretchers with adjustable legs so that it's always level. This setup gives us ample room in the centre and allows me to stand straight up (I'm 183cm tall). The tent itself takes only a few minutes to setup.
I find that the tent has excellent ventilation.

mikehzz

So we're getting ready to upgrade our tent. Currently we're using a little instant pop up tent, but we want something a bit roomier and more comfortable.

I have long liked the oztents, and I've been leaning towards the RV-3 lite. Besides being a good deal cheaper than the canvas, it's lighter, which makes getting it on the roof a lot easier.

It's me, the wife, and sometimes the corgi. We have a zempire monstamat twin, which based on the dimensions will give us a little room inside, and at 190cm I can almost stand upright.

Is the canvas worth the extra expense and weight? If so maybe go a 4 or 5.

Are there any other good options?

I want reasonably tall tent (I'm 192cm), and I want to have space for more than a mattress inside (I know the RV3 won't have a huge amount) and also a reasonably quick set up. I also want a decent awning on it, and like that the oztent has some good accessories for that. The lite less than the canvas.

I saw Darche has their new Kozi line with an 'instant' 6p tent that looks alright, and Coleman instant ups seem popular, although the Colemans don't seem to have much in the way of a big shady awning.

I like the idea of inflatable tents but of course have never experienced it one and the wife is wary.

Budget wise i'm thinking 500-1k, but I need to do up a spreadsheet for the other stuff we're also going to get and work out how much money we can allocate to a tent. Of course, less on a tent is more elsewhere, but I don't want to buy crap either.

So any thoughts?
Mate, hold off until you're fully grown, you grew 2cm while you were writing the post :) One of my mates uses an inflatable swag and I don't want one after seeing him use it. Seems like a lot of hassle for little benefit.

SuperSteve

Mate, hold off until you're fully grown, you grew 2cm while you were writing the post :) One of my mates uses an inflatable swag and I don't want one after seeing him use it. Seems like a lot of hassle for little benefit.
The tent is 190, i'm 192. :p

I feel like just about every tent is hassle. I'm guessing an advantage is if you break your metal or fibreglass pole you're duct taping and it's pretty much buggered. If you can patch an air pole, it's good as new?

Kippie makes a good point about using the 4wd awning vs the tents, although I think in bad weather it's nice to have a decent amount of covered space just outside the tent itself.

I like the look of the Coleman with the dark room and built in lights though!

stevemc181

RV5 does the job for us. The extra bit of room comes in handy for throwing down the back packs etc. I’d highly recommend also getting the peaked sidewall kit and the floor saver.

mikehzz

The tent is 190, i'm 192. :p

I feel like just about every tent is hassle. I'm guessing an advantage is if you break your metal or fibreglass pole you're duct taping and it's pretty much buggered. If you can patch an air pole, it's good as new?

Kippie makes a good point about using the 4wd awning vs the tents, although I think in bad weather it's nice to have a decent amount of covered space just outside the tent itself.

I like the look of the Coleman with the dark room and built in lights though!
English...it's how you read it. Like how you can help your Uncle Jack off a horse, or you can help your uncle jack off a horse. :)

MrMiller

In the past few years the missus and I have gone from an REI 2p hiking tent, to oztrail double room tent(which was rubbish so took it back), to Coleman 4p instant up, to Darche RTT, to Oztent Rv5 with side walls(front panel and floor saver on the way as we speak)…

I can’t rate the RV5 highly enough. The ease of use and quality of the canvas is second to none in my experience. The tent itself sets up in literally 30 seconds… getting it off the roof and out of the bag takes a couple mins though… tent up with the walls takes less than 10 mins though. Just be careful with the height of it… it’s 190cm tall but only at the peak of it on the entrance side. I’m 180 and have to crouch for the most part moving around inside. But it’s a small price to pay for the quality of the tent.

The Coleman Instant Up is also a very good bang for buck option if you don’t mind nylon tents. Lighter and packs smaller than the RV5 but simply no where near as robust, go the Gold or Dark series if you go this route though, we had the 4p gold and it was great. The fly is a pain sometimes though but that was really the only downfall besides the small awning.

The Darche RTT is good but was a right pain packing up and no standing room unless you set up the annex as well…

If I had to do it over again I’d go the RV5 straight away and save some money. But you live and you learn. It’s all about what suits your needs but I’d definitely recommend the RV5 with accessories.

John U

it’s 190cm tall but only at the peak of it on the entrance side. I’m 180 and have to crouch for the most part moving around inside.
This is the truth.

I have an Rv4 and at 5’ 10” . I need to stand at the front wall to be upright.

The cost of the tent plus accessories is expensive. You’ll need the fly extra as a minimum.

I kept an eye on gumtree for a while and got the lot for $400. Was a cracking deal. I reckon I was probably the 3rd owner but it there was no immediate work on it required. I am about to buy a new bag.

Quite a few people upgrade from oztent to a camper. These are the ones to look out for.

I always use the ground sheet and the fly. The walls not so much.

The upgrade bag I’m getting.