Deciding on seat covers

SuperSteve

I know there's been a few threads about this over the years, but none for a while and I didn't want to bring up a zombie thread.

So we're currently in the process of ordering accessories for the 90 series. Dash mat, floor mats, etc.

We definitely want some seat covers, and I would rather fitted than generic. I think the Prado's seat is an odd shape too, so they'd probably be worse fitting than they usually are.

While sheepskin ticks all the comfort boxes, and would be the better option on hot days (we live in the outback), I've been a bit wary given how dirty I am after work sometimes, and a couple days ago we got back in the car with the dog covered in burrs. We do not fancy picking them out of the wool.

Canvas is tough, waterproof, a good option with the dog, but they all look like a dog's breakfast. Even the fitted ones don't look like they fit, and the old set of Black Ducks we had in a work vehicle could give you third degree burns after a few hours sitting in the sun.

4elements - apparently softer and more comfortable than canvas, but dang, the price. Plus, like canvas, they don't look like they fit well.

Material - I don't see too many material seat covers. A workmate has denim black duck, also expensive, and only a couple years old they're already worn through, but they DO fit better. I found Ruffnuts, but not sure they do 90 series, or what price. I have requested a quote.

Neoprene - My experience with neoprene isn't great, but it's also the experience of supercheap $30 jobs. If we go fitted they'll hopefully be higher quality, and looking at photos, they at least seem to fit snuggly. But then some of them are really not much less than the black duck 4elements.

We don't want to spend a fortune, but i'm also aware that money saved on seat covers can be spent elsewhere on the vehicle. With all that said, I also don't want the car to look like trash, and we're sitting on the seats whenever we use the car, the covers need to be reasonably nice.

At this point, i'm considering:

Black Duck 4elements: $440 for front seats
Wet Seat Neoprene: $325
Ruffnuts material: waiting on a price, around $300 based on their ebay store, assuming they do 90 series

So has anyone tried the more expensive neoprene? Are they better than the cheap and nasty jobs?

Anyone have a favourite?

It's not something I can go to the shops to check out, because there are no shops that sell this stuff within 500+km.

Cheers!

Triton14

There is no way I would spend $440 on seat covers, but thats me.

Actually there is no way I would even spent $100!

I went for the cheap & cheerful SCA sheepskin(most likely faux) @ $30 each for the front.
Been on 7 years+ & no issues.

To be frank, I think there is as you say more important things to spend money on & would rather put the change saved into recovery gear, or even camping gear.

Actually I just bought an RV5 so thats where some of that money saved got spent, even if it was 7 years later :rolleyes: :)

Albynsw

I had Supafit Grey Denim seat covers on my last vehicle and they were great. Much nicer than canvas and have a more tailored fit, canvas doesn’t sit very nicely even when custom made
I will be getting them again next time

SuperSteve

So the Ruffnuts are over 500. Ouch.

I had a look at Supafit, but unless I have a 150, no go. They might do custom for the 90 series, but i'm sure it'd be expensive as heck.

I think we're coming back around to sheepskin, and having a cheap set of canvas to be able to swap out for anything where we're likely to ruin the wool. (like when i use it for work - doesn't happen too often, so it wouldn't be constant swapping)

TYNO87

Hmm well I either fit proper sheepskins or black ducks so both my suggestions are out. I’ve got a cheap set of kings canvas covers on a work ute, they’re surprisingly good for $80 - $90.
I wouldn’t be too quick to dismiss the sheepskins, genuine sheepskins (like from mortels or similar) is way more durable than people think and I don’t think anything can match it for comfort.
My experience with neoprene (expensive neoprene) is they’re good until they stretch a bit then they become a pain.
Used to always have a beach towel in the front of my cruiser to throw over the base of the seats in summer, kept them pretty cool. Made a huge difference and I used to use it to stop my legs getting sunburnt on long drives (always wear footy shorts or stubbies)

premthon

There is no way I would spend $440 on seat covers, but thats me.

Actually there is no way I would even spent $100!

I went for the cheap & cheerful SCA sheepskin(most likely faux) @ $30 each for the front.
Been on 7 years+ & no issues.

To be frank, I think there is as you say more important things to spend money on & would rather put the change saved into recovery gear, or even camping gear.

Actually I just bought an RV5 so thats where some of that money saved got spent, even if it was 7 years later :rolleyes: :)

How's the fit? Got any pics?

SuperSteve

Hmm well I either fit proper sheepskins or black ducks so both my suggestions are out. I’ve got a cheap set of kings canvas covers on a work ute, they’re surprisingly good for $80 - $90.
I wouldn’t be too quick to dismiss the sheepskins, genuine sheepskins (like from mortels or similar) is way more durable than people think and I don’t think anything can match it for comfort.
My experience with neoprene (expensive neoprene) is they’re good until they stretch a bit then they become a pain.
Used to always have a beach towel in the front of my cruiser to throw over the base of the seats in summer, kept them pretty cool. Made a huge difference and I used to use it to stop my legs getting sunburnt on long drives (always wear footy shorts or stubbies)
Well, I do change my mind a lot, so they're not really out.

We decided on sheepskin. Especially after finding some on sale for a really good price.

I think the comfort won out for us in the end. I have fond memories of how comfortable our sheepskin seat covers were in the Toyota Crown when I was a kid. :D On top of that, I think they're going to do better in the heat out here.

I think if I had a nice shiny new vehicle i'd consider spending more, but we're in a 21 year old car.

discomatt

I have the neoprene wet suit type ones on the Disco 4, they were on it when I bought it, not sure of brand but the previous owner was mega cashed up so probably horribly expensive but they are very good, fit well, keep all the dirt off the leather and are cool in summer and warm in winter, the leather still looks brand new under them which will be a big bonus come sale time.
IMO well worth the $$ what ever that was for the benefit they provide

Albynsw

I have the neoprene wet suit type ones on the Disco 4, they were on it when I bought it, not sure of brand but the previous owner was mega cashed up so probably horribly expensive but they are very good, fit well, keep all the dirt off the leather and are cool in summer and warm in winter, the leather still looks brand new under them which will be a big bonus come sale time.
IMO well worth the $$ what ever that was for the benefit they provide

I have never tried them but always thought the neoprene would be uncomfortable in summer, reminds me of a wetsuit on a hot day

discomatt

I have never tried them but always thought the neoprene would be uncomfortable in summer, reminds me of a wetsuit on a hot day
Surprisingly no hotter in summer than just leather , the material isn't exactly the same as wetsuits, seems softer and thinner to wet suits, it may have a cotton mix as well, not sure but the closest material I know is neoprene, I should get some actual neoprene and compare them side to side
I will have a look to see if there is any label or branding I can find on them