Day Trip to the York Pen.

shane 45

I am planing on doing a day trip to the Yorke Pen. on the 9/5/10 will be travelling down the pen from Prt Victoria to Hardwick Bay along the coast which is a mix of sand gravel and clay pans. If time permites will go down to Marion Bay and travel to Edithburg by the south coast road which is gravel sand and some limestone. I am looking for about 12 to 15 4bys to join me in this trip. It will be a family day with a few laughts and some meduim 4x4ing in soft sand and if wet the clay pans will may it real interesting day. ;)

millsy

4x4 Earth Contributer
I'll be in on that, if you'll have me Shane! But I can get a bit sidetracked you know!:eek:

Sounds like an interesting mixture of tracks. We'll have to start early to see if we can fit it all in! Never seen any of them, so it will be good to learn some more about Yorkes.

shane 45

Ok Millys you are the first mate.
The Stink it hard for me to plan a weekend trip as I work away 6 days a week and some saturdays I dont get back home till late in the day so I am looking at a day trip at this stage. If things change before then it could end up as a weekend trip with some fishing. I will keep you informed on whats happening as we get closer to the date.

millsy

4x4 Earth Contributer
Thanks Shane. Looking forward to getting out again! Should be all fixed by then.

Hey Stinky, if I can call you that for now, you can always head up there on Saturday, with any others that want to go with you, and Shane could nominate a meeting place, and time, up there that suits both groups.

geoffsa

Shane, make sure you have a play in the big white sand dunes on the west coast directly out from Minlaton.
Just watch out for the motor bikes, they love the area too.

The stink

keep me in the loop

Ok Millys you are the first mate.
The Stink it hard for me to plan a weekend trip as I work away 6 days a week and some saturdays I dont get back home till late in the day so I am looking at a day trip at this stage. If things change before then it could end up as a weekend trip with some fishing. I will keep you informed on whats happening as we get closer to the date.

Hi shane , Just call me Stinky . Your work load sound like it sucks ?. Count me in for day trips , any time to get out will be good , Still doing work on my Paj but good to go from March.

The Stink

The stink

good idea

Thanks Shane. Looking forward to getting out again! Should be all fixed by then.

Hey Stinky, if I can call you that for now, you can always head up there on Saturday, with any others that want to go with you, and Shane could nominate a meeting place, and time, up there that suits both groups.

Millsy

Stinky is fine. Just need to find some surfers out the there as well.

millsy

4x4 Earth Contributer
Love body surfing. Does that count? But the white pointers like body surfing over there too! Fishing might be the go.

Jacked Surf

I don't mind getting out on the waves with my body board. Would love to learn to surf one day. but I am not really built to surf. and i don't think anyone would have the patience to teach me.

I have an 9.6ft longboard sitting in the shed was / is my bro's, but haven't found the time to get out yet and teach myself.

Geoff (Ekki Adventures) surfs and lives down your way too Stinky

The stink

having fun is whats its all about

I don't mind getting out on the waves with my body board. Would love to learn to surf one day. but I am not really built to surf. and i don't think anyone would have the patience to teach me.

I have an 9.6ft longboard sitting in the shed was / is my bro's, but haven't found the time to get out yet and teach myself.

Geoff (Ekki Adventures) surfs and lives down your way too Stinky

Jacked surf , make the commitment for once you have stood up there is no looking back, it dosnt matter what you ride as long as you have a good time and your more than welcome to join us on our early sunday morn sessions.
As for Geoff (Ekki Adventures ) Ive surfed with that hairy bahemeth onced or twice over
the years and its always good to see an old man with no balance clear the line up.
oopps ( did i say that out loud, That will get back )

The Stink

millsy

4x4 Earth Contributer
Right! I think I am safe anyway, cause I'm a bit of a whale. They wouldn't bother to chop me up first to fit me in? Would they?

Gave myself a fright on the weekend. Did the Brighton to Glenelg swim again, and somehow got a bit lost as I paddled along. At one stage near the end found myself about 200m offshore. Made a quick dash back towards the beach. Much safer in the shallower water. I think!

Hang on, I'm off track again! Forget about the big fish, Shane will get me first! Except I think he is 'up north', so should be safe! Phew! Another close one!

WILKAT

Millsy

Stinky is fine. Just need to find some surfers out the there as well.

I really wish there was some decent surf on the Mid North Coast,instead of having to go all the way down south or to yorks.
I'm so used to either walking or having a 5 or 10 min drive,to get a decent surf in, with not many or no other people out

If my wife was not working,I'd come with you all for this day trip to York Pen.
Maybe next time........

The stink

I really wish there was some decent surf on the Mid North Coast,instead of having to go all the way down south or to yorks.
I'm so used to either walking or having a 5 or 10 min drive,to get a decent surf in, with not many or no other people out

If my wife was not working,I'd come with you all for this day trip to York Pen.
Maybe next time........

I hear yu, If we blew up Kangaroo Island that would change things but i dont think
the islanders would like it to much.

Ekki Adventurers

4x4 Earth Contributer
Stinky has been going surfing with Wooky since Stinky was only a grommet so we have a few stories to tell. Careful baby... ;) :D
Wilkat
We are still a lot closer to any surf than those that live in the northern suburbs. Their closest surf would probably be bottom of Yorkes else it's a long drive through the city.
Might be up for a trip out in May - Maybe we can convince Dick/Helena and Hassy/Katie to come too if there is a choice between one dayer or two they might be more flexible.

Last edited:

Jacked Surf

Thats it.

My bro was lucky, as he was the right age when we lived down at seaford.

But we moved out here before i got a chance to taste / try the beach lifestyle.

It is funny to say it, but it is definitely quicker to Yorks to find decent surf, then to drive through town to the surf down your way. thats the main reason i haven't pull my brothers old board out to give it a try.

Perhaps we could go over to yorks on the friday night and make a weekend of it, Play in the waves on the saturday. Then catch up with the day-trippers on sunday.

Last edited:

Ekki Adventurers

4x4 Earth Contributer
Has possibilities,
Wooky's always up for a chance to go for a surf. Might even bring the boy - good place for him to learn 4x4. He's surfed Agnes Waters and the far but don't think he's had a chance to try Yorkes yet.
Definately not the place for speed humps (Boogy/bodyboards) though, my memories of over there is the swell is bigger then the far coast.

WILKAT

Hi Jacked Surf,
Yes the old beach lifestyle is one of the best ways of life.:D
Have been doing it since I was a young kid,my parents used to take us to the beach very regulary,as we lived 7 min walk to a great surf beach in Warilla N.S.W (they surf fished,while we kids played in the sand & the water) when I got to about 8 my parents gave us kids a 'surfamat/plane' as they where called back then(they where a blow up material covered rubber mat with rope handles) & we used to "surf":rolleyes: on them (they would fold up as soon as you stood up,if pressure was low:p) that was technically our "first" surfboard!:cool:
So anyway have been surfing ever since,not as good as I used to be.:mad: after 2 knee ops,but still get out there as much as I can.

Hi Ekki, Is that Agnes Waters,Q.L.D near Seventeen Seventy,that you are talking about ??because we popped in there on way to Mackay in 2009,lots people out & was only good for longboarder that day.But stopped for a little while at Yeppon & surfed Byfield National Park,which was also great 4wding,some hellish tracks!!:cool:

PS/I've got a sticker on my other car called S.A.L.T (Surfers Against Lid Traffic) got it at a surf shop in Scarborough Beach,W.A,it looks :cool: not that I've got anything against skid lids:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Last edited: