Dash cam

mauriceb

@Shoret88. Its because the SD cards 64GB and larger come with the SDXC Format . You need to re- format it to Fat32 so dashcam can read it . There are many free format tool online . I use this Dod format tool . You need to place it in a sd card reader and plug it into your pc .'Do you know about formatting on pc''? It's well explained in the link. Once you have formatted it to Fat32 then your cam can format this card again in the future . Many cheap cams only have the capability to read up to 32GB. I always format my SDXC cards first to NTFS then to Fat32. Hope this helps.
PC Instructions
Download The Program Here ..... https://dod-tech.ca/supportcenter/formatting-64gb-microsdxc-cards-for-dod-tech-cameras/

I'll be buying another dash cam for the SUV as soon as we get over the Christmas cash hit. It will be this one: https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/DOD-Das...727901?hash=item2ab8f5921d:g:VjsAAOSwdL5d0yn9
Not cheap I know but I have good reason to go for a dearer aka better brand/model.

Short story.
I had a cheap Aldi dash cam. Drove the family bus (it is a an actual bus) from here to there, 4000k round trip. Once back home thought I'd check the dash cam and see what it had seen the last 10 hours. Answer, nothing. It's little power led was on but it wasn't doing a thing. Cold comfort.
I researched and bought a DOD as it just better quality, not hard to beat the Aldi crap though but, it also has a GPS. This is where for me it gets interesting. These little cheaper dash cams have little batteries and no GPS function and can after time die while off the car juice. So date and time are out of whack with real world.
What say you are in an accident and it goes to court. There you're with dash cam footage, completely wrong date, of a car coming in on your left as an angle and colliding with your vehicle? But no number plate to identify properly. Is this sufficient evidence? Is it admissible?
If the driver had consequently done a runner or failed to supply particulars or correct info on site, then later denies their vehicle was even in an accident what happens next? I mean it could happen, anything is possible.

The better dash cams have a GPS and mauriceb might back me up here, but the DOD dash cams have GPS and auto set the time and date via satellite at every startup irrespective of how the battery is. In fact doesn't really need a battery. As a bonus, after about a minute the model we have drops out of imaging mode on screen into current speed mode so that a) we know what speed we am doing to greater accuracy than the speedo and b) we know it is functioning properly. Cheaper versions like the Aldi we used just had a LED and like I said, that's no guarantee it's working.
So Shorte88, it might pay to check your footage every now to ensure it is working as it should. Moral is, any dash cam is better than nothing but . . . it has to be working first! :oops:

Last edited:

smitty_r51

Have two dod cams and 3 mounts so I can move it between cars. Rego, Timestamps, GPS coords and speed can all be imposed.

My only issue is the app doesn't work on the latest android versions (fine on older versions and apple)

mauriceb

I would go here before purchasing https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/dashcamtalk.com/ I have many dashcams . One of the cheapest and records great vids,even a night is the Viofo Gw1s has no battery uses a capacitor and has the Sony Emor sensor,wide angle.It have no gps but available for around $8-10 on ebay china. gps plugs in with a 3.5mm plug. Be sure brand is Viofo if you purchase or it won't have the sony sensor. https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Car-Das...r-Capacitor-Novatek96650-IMX323-/132849210479

Messaged the DOD seller I used before. The unit I have is temporarily out of stock but this one seems to have more features for less price such as parking monitor and apps. Consumer electronics is a fast moving sector. This for a lot less than the one I link to above too and worth a look:
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/DOD-ZS5...356810?hash=item23ca16f24a:g:7KAAAOSwznZdw5Tr
Due to the major issue I had with the Aldi non GPS model, I am leaning toward sticking with that type but as the price is right so I may take a peek at that referral. Thanks mauriceb.

Last edited:

rogerazz

4x4 Earth Contributer
Are there dash cams with a large screen , I mean large enough to see, not a pis*y 2 1/2 or 3 inch screen?
Also one that has clearer easy to use snap photo, save, menu, up, down, bloody buttons?
I have got Gator (Crap battery goes back to original date/time), a Uniden ( can't see too small screen) .
Yea, one for the oldies.

Are there dash cams with a large screen , I mean large enough to see, not a pis*y 2 1/2 or 3 inch screen? .... a Uniden ( can't see too small screen) .
Yea, one for the oldies.
I'm an oldie and it goes two ways for us older folk. Either they don't have a screen so we don't have to worry about looking at anything or the screen is larger, so we can see something.
For a good rundown of Dash Cams with or without screens see the maurieb post above and follow the link he put up. Or repeated here for ease of use for you young bucks: https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/dashcamtalk.com/
but I see nothing larger than 3" sorry.

smitty_r51

My dod will stream via WiFi to a tablet...with the buttons available on the tablet... Might work for you. I use it as a reverse camera occasionally.

I use my samsung tab4 with Autoguard app from playstore, runs when power up the tab which I use as a gps with Igo an bought a 256gb sdmicro card did the home to darwin and back again 11.000 kms over 6weeks, back in may and only filled the card up on the home stretch, plus you can replay all the videos on the tablet.

mauriceb

I was toying with the idea of a motor bike dash cam. They come with front and back cameras, the only thing is mounting outside the car. and being sort of hidden so they don't get stolen of vandalised.
https://www.amazon.com.au/WonVon-Mo...ocphy=9069211&hvtargid=pla-787505808840&psc=1
I would not waste my money on a unknown brand like that especially at that cost. It will have a #hit sensor and lens. The cams firmware may not be available to reinstall if you receive errors/freezing in the future.

Last edited:

Hotdog

Sorry I just grabbed that link as an example. I would do more research and go with something respectable.
I just like the idea of front and rear cameras and the screen could be mounted anywhere and the cameras are independent of the screen.

Colly18

I did a lot of research on buying a dash cam 2 years ago, and ended up purchasing one of these new on ebay (Oz seller) for a bargain price of $90 (free freight)
- VIOFO A119+GPS HD 2K 1080P Car Dash Camera Recorder
It has been great! Although I only use it for capturing interesting journey footage, rather than running full-time.
Yep, the issue of the small screen for some of us older guys with deteriorating vision, is a consideration. But (with getting value for $ in mind) I opted for a pretty decent dash cam at the expense of a larger screen, figuring I shouldn't be looking at it whilst driving; and acknowledging I'd have to get the specs out to view/adjust settings. :)
By the way, from recollection, I believe this dash cam will also format your SD card to FAT32 as part of its normal function.
No doubt specifications have improved and prices increased since(?), but I'm giving VIOFO a thumbs up based on my experience.

mauriceb

I did a lot of research on buying a dash cam 2 years ago, and ended up purchasing one of these new on ebay (Oz seller) for a bargain price of $90 (free freight)
- VIOFO A119+GPS HD 2K 1080P Car Dash Camera Recorder
It has been great! Although I only use it for capturing interesting journey footage, rather than running full-time.
Yep, the issue of the small screen for some of us older guys with deteriorating vision, is a consideration. But (with getting value for $ in mind) I opted for a pretty decent dash cam at the expense of a larger screen, figuring I shouldn't be looking at it whilst driving; and acknowledging I'd have to get the specs out to view/adjust settings. :)
By the way, from recollection, I believe this dash cam will also format your SD card to FAT32 as part of its normal function.
No doubt specifications have improved and prices increased since(?), but I'm giving VIOFO a thumbs up based on my experience.
Hi Colly.I also have the A119 Viofo. Its a great cam including brilliant night vision with its Sony sensor, has lots of support on Dashcam Talk forum . Have you updated to the latest firmware. Since its release a new 4K model is now available but chews up sd memory when set to 4k and as you said , a bit more expensive.

the issue of the small screen for some of us older guys with deteriorating vision, is a consideration.
I've just bought a mini 0906 (thanks for the link mauriceb) but the older and more expensive DOD shows our speed and which way is North.
The speed thing is great as the speedo is a little optimistic (it might be the law) and we like to know exactly how far over the tonwe can do legally. Doesn't look like the Mini 0906 does that which is a shame but I'll get over it. Such a great price for 2 Sony lenses and GPS!

Test