Dargo area trip

Bomber2012

Spent a week in the high country recently , we set up base on the Dargo river and just did day trips from there .
Visited the Dogs Grave , Blue rag , countery at the Dargo pub , Crooked river through to Talbertville etc , etc.
Was more of a relaxed trip to put your feet up drink beers and have a laugh next to the camp fire.
The trip from Kingwill bridge through to Talbotville was a highlight with the crooked river running a banker and some deep crossings .
Im having a bit of trouble posting some vids But will keep at it
D230E40F-AAAF-4161-A5D5-5F538F530E38.jpeg
A3A63D15-966F-408F-B437-2BCF2942E460.jpeg

Attachments

Last edited:

boobook

Nice.

Whereabouts in the Dargo? Was it busy?

How was the water just past Kingswell at Winchester? That can be very deep after some heavy rain.

Bomber2012

Nice.

Whereabouts in the Dargo? Was it busy?

How was the water just past Kingswell at Winchester? That can be very deep after some heavy rain.
Camped along the Dargo river at Jimmy Iversons , surprised it wasn’t busy at all had the campground to ourselves.
Yeah the crossings were deep , one or two I probably shouldn’t have done in hindsight, was over the bonnet up over the side mirrors with the river flowing at a good pace .

boobook

Camped along the Dargo river at Jimmy Iversons , surprised it wasn’t busy at all had the campground to ourselves.
Yeah the crossings were deep , one or two I probably shouldn’t have done in hindsight, was over the bonnet up over the side mirrors with the river flowing at a good pace .
Nice spot, it can be hard to get in first along that section of the Dargo.

LOL another thread reminded me of a time I crossed the Wongungurra river at Winchester with a friend. He was very experienced. It was about the same, over the bonnet. I just got through, he followed but took a slightly different line and got stuck near the other side. His 4x4 ( diesel ) took a big gulp of water and started running real rough and the check light came on. He immediately stopped the engine, and I winched him out. On the other side, we opened the air filter which was saturated. We got about a cup of water out of the airbox and restarted it. Clouds of white smoke for about 20 mins that slowly came clear.

He was sooooo bloody lucky. That crossing can be a doozie after rain.

Swaggie

You should have gone North up the road a bit and had a look at the lookout back towards Dargo (shows it on the Rooftop map) it’s not your normal lookout you have to drive along a track and it’s not flat, not steep either but worth the look.

Bomber2012

You should have gone North up the road a bit and had a look at the lookout back towards Dargo (shows it on the Rooftop map) it’s not your normal lookout you have to drive along a track and it’s not flat, not steep either but worth the look.
Is that further on up upper Dargo Rd or on Birragun rd ?

boobook

If Swaggie is referring to the view I'm thinking of, it's Up Birragun Rd, and just as you reach the intersection of Mt Ewan Rd, looking down to the south as you come up. It's about where Birragun turns into Downey Rd. Great view. You need a stop after coming up from Harrison's cut. It's quite a climb up Mathesons.

Swaggie

Is that further on up upper Dargo Rd or on Birragun rd ?
If Swaggie is referring to the view I'm thinking of, it's Up Birragun Rd, and just as you reach the intersection of Mt Ewan Rd, looking down to the south as you come up. It's about where Birragun turns into Downey Rd. Great view. You need a stop after coming up from Harrison's cut. It's quite a climb up Mathesons.
Cant add photo like another member, it used to automatically resize your photo, says it’s too big even after resizing. It’s off Jones rd near Gidley track...Freds Window
Cheers

CaptainBanana

I just uploaded my vids and just put them on YouTube and put of the link here seems to be the easiest way.

I walked a couple of the deeper Rivers I thought this is not too bad until that came up over the bonnet and then I thought different

Last edited:

Bomber2012

I just uploaded my vids and just put them on YouTube and put of the link here seems to be the easiest way.

I walked a couple of the deeper Rivers I thought this is not too bad until that came up over the bonnet and then I thought different
There was a large tree down across Crooked river track , was that still there ?