Change background image

Dargo area suggestions

Discussion in 'Camping Areas' started by lr98, Mar 7, 2018.

1. lr98

lr98 Member

Hi everyone,

My wife and I have a few three days off from work after the labour day long weekend. We are keen to head up to the Dargo area.
    Will be taking the offroad camper and like the idea of setting up once then being able to head off for short trips throughout our stay. The camper is self sufficent - gas/solar/fridge/water etc. so no worries about being too far away from Dargo itself. Ideally we would be able to camp somewhere free (not for the cost saving, more because you get a more isolated camping experience - it is the High Country after all!).
    I drive a MK2 Ranger which is pretty well set up - 32inch BFG KO2s, lift, winch, snorkel, barwork, UHF - so a campsite that is medium on the challenge scale to access would be great. I know river levels are pretty low at the moment so I'm happy to cross shallow river(s) with the camper provided the entry and exit are of reasonable condition. Billy Goats is a must for this trip - haven't driven it before but have heard the current condition is reasonably good.

Thanks in advance to the legends on this site!

Cheers

2. mac_man_luke

mac_man_luke Well-Known Member

Hard to beat talbotville, nice grassed area on the river and plenty of good day trips like crooked river track, billygoats, blue rag, basalts

dno67 and lr98 like this.
  3. lr98

lr98 Member

Thanks Luke. The Ranger world misses you mate...

mac_man_luke likes this.
  4. ROXY

ROXY Active Member

Upper Dargo road about 6klms from the pub has nice camp sites along it. Nearly all sites have a drop dunny. Plenty of room, nice river,plenty of shade and shelter.

Bomber2012 likes this.
  5. mac_man_luke

mac_man_luke Well-Known Member

haha thanks - i dont miss the ranger though! :p

Bomber2012 likes this.
  6. lr98

lr98 Member

The 79 looks mint mate!

mac_man_luke likes this.
  7. dno67

dno67 Well-Known Member

I'll second the suggestion of Talbotville, or Italian Flat is very nice.
    Don't dismiss the Wonnangatta caravan park as somewhere to stay, it's
    very quite right on the river and more room than you could ask for. Can
    easily camp well away from others, while having good access to the amenities.

Traveller likes this.
  8. Bomber2012

Bomber2012 Well-Known Member

You should be fine @Ir98 , Upper Dargo road has plenty of really nice campsites and is a perfect place to base yourself for the primo tracks .

9. lr98

lr98 Member

Thank you to everyone for the help. Will keep an eye on the weather - I think there's some rain forecast Wednesday which may change where we end up.