Damper

jeff0123

:eek:
A traditional, outback-inspired bread, damper is a heavy but fulfilling side dish that exudes Australiana.

This recipe serves 6-10.

Ingredients:

•1 teaspoon butter
•2 1/2 cups self-raising flour
•1 teaspoon sugar
•1 teaspoon salt
•1 cup milk
Instructions:

1.Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celcius.
2.Mix together the butter, flour, sugar and salt until evenly blended. Add the milk and knead for about 5 minutes to eliminate all dry pockets.
3.Shape into a ball and flatten. Place on a greased or floured baking sheet or cake tin.
4.Bake for 30 minutes. Then tear or serve in thick slices with jam, golden syrup, honey or vegemite.

jeff0123

Most damper recipes are pretty much the same,use beer instead of water,taste, texture and appearance.
4 cups SR flour
2 tablespoon full cream powdered milk
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon salt.
I often add dried tomatoes to the mix with olives on top for a savoury damper or sultanas after soaking them in port for something a bit special.
Mix dry ingredients together and aerate by passing thru a sifter. Add warm water slowly while mixing with a broad bladed knife until it is moist but stiff. Don't overdo the mixing, you'll kill it !
Sprinkle PLAIN flour into your warmed oven, also cover mixture with plain flour, this will give it a nice golden crust, place into oven and bake for about 30 minutes.
Terrific with Cocky's Joy when warm or toast the next day

billolga

Dampers are GREAT & I love them like all of us, but find that after dinner I want something to go with a cup of tea or Coffee, so I make a damper with Sultanas - dates - dried apricots & LOTS of cinnamon (Or nutmeg) & some sugar on top.

I THOUGHT I was original until I went on a few long trips & OTHERS were cooking MY RECIPE! :)

chris_stoffa

4x4 Earth Contributer
And smother it in Treacle ( better than golden syrup ) and Cream
Never fails and fills up anyone :D

But hard on the waistline :eek:

oznog05

It's amazing how many different ways you can make damper.

I make damper with sultanas, dried apple and cinnamon.Served with butter! The kids go ape #$%& over it!