Damage to McDonalds Hut near Swift Creek.

rogerazz

4x4 Earth Contributer

https://www.facebook.com/DELWPGipps...CUMS-MpW15bvTNoidhNH2d2_TbeAleMY&__tn__=<,P-R

DELWP Gippsland

While the rest of us were abiding by lockdown orders, vandals have wilfully damaged McDonald’s Hut near Swifts Creek. A substantial amount of damage has been sustained, including damage to the structure itself and disturbed earth around it.
The hut was built in 1951-52 for William McDonald as a forestry workers hut.
McDonald’s Hut is one of the few remaining huts built by Jack and Bill Fuhrmann, who also built Seldom Seen Hut and Marthavale Hut (both no longer standing).
Unfortunately, as these pictures show, not everyone has the same respect for huts of local historical significance.
If you have any information regarding the persons responsible for the wilful damage in these images, please call 1800 333 000. In the meantime our crews will be working to clean up the mess left behind.
Victorian High Country Huts Association
241203334_212199234281343_2809378232293834194_n.jpg
241216243_212199287614671_8904112070650764101_n.jpg
241568712_212199190948014_4116075683404214047_n.jpg

typhoeus

I'm surprised there isn't wildlife cams set up around these areas which might capture images of possible offenders

red hilux

Just aholes

Wildlife cams don’t work.
They can be seen and go missing.

What they need is live stream motion cameras with internal SIM cards, saved to the cloud.....I know a council here will be using these soon

discomatt

The sooner government locks up all the national parks and introduces a user pays and registers system the better.
A crap choice but the best long term outcome for all.
The pricks who did that should have there cars crushed, 20k fine and a public flogging, scum of the earth

Trav D40

The sooner government locks up all the national parks and introduces a user pays and registers system the better.
The pricks who did that should have there cars crushed, 20k fine and a public flogging, scum of the earth
I have to agree mate. While I don't like the idea of having to pay to use the bush if it means getting rid of people who do the wrong thing then so be it.

peterfermtech

I would really like to know how that would work. For a start this is state forest not national park and this kind of stuff is already illegal. There is any number of ways to get to this hut and thousands of ways to enter our bush. Police can't even apprehend idiot drivers in the city.

cookie64

4x4 Earth Contributer
only works if those funds from the bush licence go into paying for rangers on the ground in sufficient numbers to be able to confront groups doing this sort of thing.
Noel who worked for DEPI was assaulted doing his job, he is the nicest bloke who helped 4x4 Earth with the O'Tooles Hut and grounds, Rangers have very limited powers so really need Police on the ground who have the power of arrest.

discomatt

I would really like to know how that would work.
The same way as registered camping in coastal parks now works, you register, you pay, cash goes into the coffers, hopefully some cash gets spent on rangers and patrols, yobbos are less likely to go there if they have to pay, yobbos are less likely to destroy stuff and leave rubbish if they know their details are in the system with an increased chance of a ranger or police passing through to check permits.
Proof of behavior change is very noticeable when looking at the state of any free camp in a state park compared with the registered and user pays system that is all over Australia in coastal and national parks.

peterfermtech

The same way as registered camping in coastal parks now works, you register, you pay, cash goes into the coffers, hopefully some cash gets spent on rangers and patrols, yobbos are less likely to go there if they have to pay, yobbos are less likely to destroy stuff and leave rubbish if they know their details are in the system with an increased chance of a ranger or police passing through to check permits.
Proof of behavior change is very noticeable when looking at the state of any free camp in a state park compared with the registered and user pays system that is all over Australia in coastal and national parks.
This area is all logging coupes. Where are you going to put the camp sites and how are you going to stop people from passing through.

Apart from your suggestion of crushing vehicles and large fines the only other way that I can see that could work is police targeting of mud spattered and modified 4wds. I'm not sure how many members here would like that.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210908_172558.png
    Screenshot_20210908_172558.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 15