CV boots LN106 Hilux SR5

These things are often splitting on my rig. Last service another needs replacing @ about $250. I think this is about the 4th during the 150,000kms I've owned the old girl.

Is that normal?

Anything you can do to make them last longer?

cheers

typhoeus

Is she lifted? I haven't had to replace mine on my rzn169r in the 15 odd years I've owned it, although I replaced one side axle & cv's. The boots must get tight or stretched at the extreme ends of the range on movement

Is she lifted? I haven't had to replace mine on my rzn169r in the 15 odd years I've owned it, although I replaced one side axle & cv's. The boots must get tight or stretched at the extreme ends of the range on movement

I don't know if the 1st owner lifted it. I don't think so though.

Not sure if you can tell from this pic:

Still2.jpg

typhoeus

L:eek:oks like it might lifted be a little. But LN106 is a live axle isnt it,, not IFS, so Im wondering where are the cv boots? arent the CVs inside the swivel hub?
If its an IFS, then you can wind the torsion bars down a tad, to make the axles more level, and reduce the CV angles, which are bad for the rubber boots and the CVs themselves.

L:eek:oks like it might lifted be a little. But LN106 is a live axle isnt it,, not IFS, so Im wondering where are the cv boots? arent the CVs inside the swivel hub?
If its an IFS, then you can wind the torsion bars down a tad, to make the axles more level, and reduce the CV angles, which are bad for the rubber boots and the CVs themselves.

Cheers mate. No, it has IFS. I will talk to my mechanic about reducing the CV angles.

typhoeus

When installing the boots, it's important to slide the axle side (small end) of the boot and clamp out toward the wheel before tightening it, until it gives a little slack in the boots. When the whole assembly moves to the extreme range of movement, it won't pull the boot tight and rip it.