cutting gq guards

croozza

Does anyone know about cutting patrol GQ front and rear guards to fit 35'' tyres? Thanks

if you fit a decent lift kit you wont have to cut guards.
the rear guard only gets cut to stop dents from rocks ect. The wheels usually touch on the chassis rail or inner guard.
the front can be cut up to the crease line.
if you are going to cut guards they need to be folded under so that no one can cut themselves at the cut line.

Pure Yobbo

if you fit a decent lift kit you wont have to cut guards.
the rear guard only gets cut to stop dents from rocks ect. The wheels usually touch on the chassis rail or inner guard.
the front can be cut up to the crease line.
if you are going to cut guards they need to be folded under so that no one can cut themselves at the cut line.

Also depends on what length trailing arms you are running. I have GU standard lenght arms in my GQ and a small spring lift ;) my 35" just touch on the front and the rear bar(My rear quarters are cut) at full flex. I will post a pic when I get home if you like.

Cutting the guards to fit tyres is a crap idea IMO do the other mods to make the tyres fit.

Marky

guard cut

Thanks for reply. ive already got a 3 inch lift, on full flex the the back wheels get wedged up inside the wheel arches. i thought it would be a cheaper option to get them cut rather than getting a 4 inch lift. and ive only heard bad things about body lifts! some pics would be awsome!

Pure Yobbo

Pics as requested. This is after we lowered it - used to be much higher.

Flexing On Ramp Rear.JPG

PC300055.JPG

Marky

guard cut

Thanks for the pictures, couple of questions. Is that 35 inch tyre? and how do you get the fold back on the guard to put the rubber flairs back on?

Pure Yobbo

Thanks for the pictures, couple of questions. Is that 35 inch tyre? and how do you get the fold back on the guard to put the rubber flairs back on?

Yep thats a 35" those are aftermarket rubber flares just screwed to the inside edge of the guard. No need to bend anything.

My front guards are standard nothing cut. I think if you leave the rear quarters on you need to trim a bit out of the bottom.

Cheers

Pure Yobbo

The more I look at the pic. GQ trailing arms might be better as they are a little shorter - but your spring will have a bend in it. As I said they are GU arms which are longer.

Marky

guard cut

thanks for your help mate. im not to sure how trailing arms work? i know you can get adjustable ones but not sure on how they work.

Pure Yobbo

thanks for your help mate. im not to sure how trailing arms work? i know you can get adjustable ones but not sure on how they work.

You can get adjustable lowers. I just ordered the length I needed. On the GQ I run GU Standard length. On my GU I run +15mm in length.

1TUFFGU

It really is a simpole job to cut guards on a GQ. Just mark a line on the guard, fold out the original bend and then rebend the guard. Took me about 15mins each on my GQ. You will only need to fold back an extra 10-15 mm to get the clearance. Its a whole lot cheaper than upgrading suspension components.

rickgq

yeah i had the same problem, had to cut and panel beat the rear guards a little and the front just needed a little trim, you look at it after its done and painted and it looks factory

Attachments

• IMG_0224.jpg
    IMG_0224.jpg
    718.6 KB · Views: 755
Last edited: