Ctek DC - DC charger

Roachie

Gee, this topic can get really quite heated (on other forums)....haha

I use an older style DC - DC charger (2 in fact.....one in the camper trailer and one in the Patrol for the 3rd battery)....called an Arrid Twin Charge. ARRID Australia - Products (Twin Charge)

I think the C-Tek is probably more state of the art, but my old Arrids do the job quite well too.

There is an even more sophisticated one called Ranox..... RanOx DC-DC Multi-Stage Battery Booster/Charger

One things for sure (as far as I'm conerned)....a lot of these dual battery systems that use expensive isolation systems, aren't worth the dough.....all they are doing is deciding (on your behalf), when to direct current from the alternator to the 2nd battery. If that's all you want to do, then just rig up a $40- 100amp solenoid and a manual switch.

However, the alternator will not be able to ever FULLY charge a battery (this is where the arguments usually begin.... hahaha).

Roachie

Big Rig

4x4 Earth Contributer
Gee, this topic can get really quite heated (on other forums)....haha

I use an older style DC - DC charger (2 in fact.....one in the camper trailer and one in the Patrol for the 3rd battery)....called an Arrid Twin Charge. ARRID Australia - Products (Twin Charge)

I think the C-Tek is probably more state of the art, but my old Arrids do the job quite well too.

There is an even more sophisticated one called Ranox..... RanOx DC-DC Multi-Stage Battery Booster/Charger

One things for sure (as far as I'm conerned)....a lot of these dual battery systems that use expensive isolation systems, aren't worth the dough.....all they are doing is deciding (on your behalf), when to direct current from the alternator to the 2nd battery. If that's all you want to do, then just rig up a $40- 100amp solenoid and a manual switch.

However, the alternator will not be able to ever FULLY charge a battery (this is where the arguments usually begin.... hahaha).

Roachie

I beg to differ Roachie

I run the Ranox in my rig but I set it up a little different. I don't run a duel battery system in the Prado but I have all my batteries in the kamper. The ranox is mounted there. Granted it may not be something that the average joe may use in their rig as a duel system however for 460 bucks its a dam side better for your batteries. Go to the Ranox site and it explains that it is a lot more than a battery isolator, its actually a charger and a power transfer pump. With the popularity of these new common rail diesel engines there is an issue with the charging system in them. You see a lot lower voltage is required in these systems so the alternators are "tuned" down. Going are the days where an alternator pumps out 14.2 volts and 100 plus amps so we have to start considering these DC - DC chargers such as the ranox. The AGM batteries in my kamper run out at about 1000 bucks so I want to treat them right and we all know there is nothing like running out of juice when we want a cold beer in the remote parts of Auz

Last edited:

Fox Shooter

Thanks guys for your advice. I will be going for the ctek mostly because of it's size. I will be first installing one on a NS TD Pajero and the only place I can think of mounting it is under the dash. This is so it can stay cooler and thus won't drop it's output because it was getting hot.
Cheers
Rossco

Roachie

I beg to differ Roachie

I run the Ranox in my rig but I set it up a little different. I don't run a duel battery system in the Prado but I have all my batteries in the kamper. The ranox is mounted there. Granted it may not be something that the average joe may use in their rig as a duel system however for 460 bucks its a dam side better for your batteries. Go to the Ranox site and it explains that it is a lot more than a battery isolator, its actually a charger and a power transfer pump. With the popularity of these new common rail diesel engines there is an issue with the charging system in them. You see a lot lower voltage is required in these systems so the alternators are "tuned" down. Going are the days where an alternator pumps out 14.2 volts and 100 plus amps so we have to start considering these DC - DC chargers such as the ranox. The AGM batteries in my kamper run out at about 1000 bucks so I want to treat them right and we all know there is nothing like running out of juice when we want a cold beer in the remote parts of Auz

G'day mate..... not sure what you mean when you say you "beg to differ". You're more or less saying what I said, in that you will never be able to fully charge a battery just by using the alternator. That is why the DC - DC chargers are soooooooo important in my opinion. The type I use (the Arrid Twin Charge) has been around for many years and is a very basic type of DC to DC charger. It has no bells and whistles.

The C-Tek is a step up from the Arrid and I agree with you that the Ranox is an even more sophisticated unit. (ie: it will/should do a much better job of keeping the batteries fully charged).

I would love to upgrade to a Ranox (or 2 of them), but the old Arrids do the job well enough for my needs (but not as good I agree).

Cheers and sorry if I led you astray with my comments.

Roachie

Fox Shooter

I also had a chat with the guys at Federal Batterys and they also mentioned DC-DC chargers are the best way to go. He when onto to mention that with the new alternators that have temp compensation the hotter they get the less volts they put out. I can confirm this with a friends Disco. Thus a deep cycle will never fully charge and a DC-DC charger is the best way to go.

I also finally found a spot on the Paj behind the passenger head light the brackets are going to be fun.

Fox Shooter

If anyone is interested in the ctek DC-DC charger the cheapest I have found is $355 on ebay including express postage from a mob in South Australia.

Jarh73

I picked up an Engel DC to DC Charger for $100 from Engel when i bought the fridge.

Its not as high current as the CTEK one but it might be an option.

Cheers

Justin

goldrush

I have the Projecta DC to DC charger. I looked at the CTEK but the owner of our battery shop said that the Projecta is just as good and a lot cheaper.

Utt Bugly

I went to read up on the Ranox but can't find them anywhere other than various forums, are they gone??

Edit: Never mind, they were deregistered as a company in February 2011, what a shame, another great Aussie product gone.
Thanks guys,
Rob

Last edited:

OutBacker

If you open up the Engel DC DC charger it has a voltage adjust pot. So you can pick the right voltage for your deep cycle. I picked mine up for $29 of Evilbay. So saved a fortune.

I have built a custom load switcher out of relays. The idea is that when the car is running the deep cycle load is running off the main battery and the Engel Dc DC charger is only charging the Deep Cycle. When the motor is not running the deep cycle load is discharging the deep cycle battery. This way all 10A of Engel charge is used to fully charge the deep cycle battery when I'm on the move.

The other benefit of a DC DC charger is that you don't get current flow from your Deep Cycle into the rest of the car. So when you run your winch the deep cycle does not power it. Extreme winching is a great way to waste your deep cycle. For some reason people think it is a feature to have the second battery helping out the winch. I suppose it is good for winching performance.

Brad