CTCSS

red hilux

I sort of dont under stand how it works

Continuous Tone-Coded Squelch System or CTCSS is used to reduce the annoyance of listening to other users on a shared two-way radio communications channel like UHF CB and is quite often referred to as tone squelch .

How does it know who is in my group? How does it know whats annoying me?

Im looking at buying this unit as a replacement to my lost handheld https://www.jaycar.com.au/gme-1w-uhf-transceiver-tx667/p/DC9046

sharkcaver

Both units have to be set to the same ctcss code. When the unit transmits, it also transmits an inaudible sub tone. The receiving set will not unmute the squelsh threshold unless it receives the sub tone its set for. So you wont hear any others, but they will certainly hear you.

Personally, I wouldn't bother, I'd just change channels. On an 80Ch set, you have 2 data channels, 16 repeater channels (input and output) and 62 normal channels (noting some are reserved for special usage, like ch40, ch18,ch16 and ch5). That gives you access to 70 channels to choose from (+8 repeater inputs if not in range of a repeater). Surely you could find a free channel in that amount of choice.

Having a group on subtone is a PITA, because you cant contact them for whatever reason.

Commercial operators for starters. It grinds me that a citizen band also allows commercial operators to use the spectrum.

sharkcaver

Also personally, I would only buy a 1 watter for the kids. I'd be looking at 2w minimum (unless its just going to be used for spotting purposes). You can get a 2W gme for nearly the same price, no doubt a bit better on ebay if one has a look:

https://www.prestigecom.net.au/gme-tx677-80-channel-uhf-cb-handheld.

I have a couple of oricom 2 watters. They do the job, but in hindsight, I would go with a radio with a rechargable Li ion battery pack as the AAA cell radios tend to chew the batteries if you transmit a bit. I can rectify that a little using eneloop pro's, but at $20 a pack ($40 for both), I'm probably better off just buying a new one with Li Ion bats to begin with.

red hilux

The radio is for spotting only, so 1 watt is fine

I wanted the gme, found bad reviews with the gme with the rotary volume knobs. Knob comes off.