Creb - Frenchmans - Ott - Cape York

patrol dude

Well after being delayed for 3 weeks we are finally ready to head off to the cape this Sunday 8). Have really enjoyed reading all the threads from all the other forum members - hope to tackle all the "FUN" tracks and maybe catch a fish or two :D

The canvas cover for the rear of the Tvan arrived today, real happy with the quick set up, takes about 1 minute in total to set up camp. Patrol has had just about everything checked twice, replaced all the body mounts and all the lower and upper control arm/panhard & sway bar bushes etc. Donk and turbo are running real sweet with 160HP at the rear wheels ;D. Rear seats have been taken out and two 97L boxes bolted to the floor with a 3mm fish plate over the whole base of each - this has allowed me to transfer all the weight that used to be in the rear draws (Tools and bits and pieces in the passenger side box and recovery gear in the drivers side box) from behind the rear wheels to the centre of the car. I now have fuel - oil and & air filters and other light stuff in the rear draws. ;D Put new KING smoothie shockies on a couple of months ago with new front and rear springs - rides real well now >:D.

Looking forward to just cruising and enjoying mums company (first big trip with NO KIDS) and the great Aussie bush and dudes along the way. Cheers

Attachments

• Lots of Tools.jpg
    Lots of Tools.jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 163

80lover96gxl

Sounds like an awesome trip you guys have ahead of you and sounds like the patrol should do it with ease.
Really looking forward to the trip report. :)

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

Towie

Sweet azzzzz wish i could go & remember if you have any troubles or want any info i live in Port Douglas & have alot of contacts up here & the Cape....

In the Patrol run 24psi on the Development road & on the other tracks down to 20 for comfort..

bally

Banned
you'll have the creb done and dusted within 3 hours. but there is an incredibly beautiful creek about 3/4 the way through thats good for a swim and place for lunch ( creeks only 3/4 a car length wide but has deep swimming holes to the left and right.....)

patrol dude

Thanks Bally, we are hoping to camp at Roaring Meg falls for a night if we can. This might be the location you are talking about!!! If not I'll keep a look out for it. Cheers

Towie

You will need to get permits for Roaring Megs & no he's not talking about Roaring Megs.

Roaring Megs is a very large Dam & great for swimming

Graemej

Hi this is an awesome trip. I took 5 weeks last year to do the cape got back about this time.
All the planning pays off. wish I was going again

patrol dude

Left cairns at 9am, travelled to Kuranda and up The Black Mountain Rd, it travels through some great rain forests heading north - it basically bypasses the coast road to just below Mossman. Had a burger at Daintree then straight up the CREB. It received a bit of rain the night before and is a bit slippery. Let the tyres down to 16 in the front, 20 in the rear and 16 on the TVAN. I have 85% reduction gears in the transfer case and a front locker, needed both to get through the first half of the track. Only saw one 4WD on the track. Staying at Roaring Meg Falls tonight maybe!!!! Or we might just have lunch and keep going. Coming down Big Red was very interesting, those deducting gears are friggin great!!!! Had them for 8 years now and just love them. The new rear canvas cover for the TVAN is simply fantastic, 2 min set up is just great.

Towie

Good fun & all good news Patroldude..

Tell do the 85's anoy you being so low or would 43's have been sufficient & what size rubber are you wearing?

patrol dude

Hi Towie, I have 33s on, just love the total control and torque that the 85% gears give. Have never found them a problem, only an advantage. Would recommend them in a heart beat. Well have made it to Siesta, spent 6 nights on the OTL. Two nights at Dalhunty River which is a lovely place to camp. Three nights at Eliot Falls, pretty sure we grew some fins we where in the water so much!!! Then headed to Nolans Brook for the night, uneventful crossing saw about 20 cars transverse it with no challenges even though some of them went way to quick!!! Cockatoo creek is also a great place to camp, the sign says to watch for crocks! Overall the OTL is a easy track with just Palm Creek with the only real bit of a challenge for the novice, there is a chicken track bypass if you do not want to tackle this one though. Stayed here for a couple of hours watching people go in both directions with out to much concern, unless you had no lockers then you would have to winch out heading south. Looking forward to a bit of fishing today and doing it tough!!! Cheers

patrol dude

Well guys its been two weeks now and has been an excellent trip so far. Spent 7 days on the OTL, Palm creek was a walk in the park - arrived and no body was their, drove through ( wife took some excellent pics) will post when I can. Stayed for a few hours and watched about a dozen 4wds go through with out to many challenges. Then headed to Dalhunty River for two nights. Excellent spot, with a great little water fall. Then headed to Cockatoo Ck for lunch, should have stayed for a night but headed to Fruit Bat falls for a swim for a few hours. Then headed to Eliot Falls for three nights. Fantastic place to stay, I'm sure the bride and I almost grew gills while we where there!! Then headed to Nolans Brook for a night. The water was only about a meter deep and we crossed it easy, first gear low range, didn't even get the bonnet wet!!! Saw plenty of cars drive it most way to fast with way to much wheel spin and even axel tramping it getting out???? Beats me! Stayed the night with some great new mates and had a excellent night. Around the camp fire. Then headed to Seisia for three nights. Went to the Tip, Muttee Heads and drove the five beachs at Somerset beach, had lunch and a few beers at Punsand Bay - very nice place. Time to head south made it to Bramwell Junction for a night and then headed down the Frenchmans Track. Excellent track, really enjoyed the scenery and finally got to tackle the Pasco River. It was fun, thought it might have been a bit harder, again those reduction gears pay for them selves, extremely controlled and steady crossing. now we are at Chile Beach for three nights. Great spot, excellent beach, went for a 4 hour walk up Coens track today was great. Had lunch at the cafe at Cape Weymouth best pan fried fish I have ever had! Patrol and TVAN are both running real well, no issues at all. Running out of time to squeeze other locations in, so heading back to Rocky after Chile. Cheers

patrol dude

Yeah sure was, first time up and both the bride and I loved it. The OTL was by far and away the best part of the trip. Eliot Falls was just excellent. Chile Beach was also worth camping at, even as they say it can be a bit blowie! Cheers

patrol dude

OK time for some pics :D

First up CREB Track, really enjoyed travelling this track. It received a bit of rain the night before and was just interesting enough ;D The front locker and the crawler gears certainly paid for them selves on a couple of hills - you read how slippery it can get, but you just do not appreciate just how much until you drive it WET. My bride done her fair share of colourful adjectives on a couple of occasions :laugh:

Attachments

• CAPE TRIP CREB Track.JPG
    CAPE TRIP CREB Track.JPG
    43.5 KB · Views: 127
  • CAPE TRIP CREB Track Air Down.JPG
    CAPE TRIP CREB Track Air Down.JPG
    54.8 KB · Views: 121
  • CAPE TRIP CREB Creek.JPG
    CAPE TRIP CREB Creek.JPG
    51.2 KB · Views: 112
  • CAPE TRIP CREB Track Look Out.jpg
    CAPE TRIP CREB Track Look Out.jpg