Cracked oil filter

Olelux

So this is something I’ve never come across in the 30 or so years of play with cars. Since I’ve put the turbo on I’ve had an oil leak (nothing big) that I’ve been chasing down. Turns out it’s a cracked oil filter, I find that very strange. What would cause this? I’ll get a photo next available chance I get.

Olelux

Could be any of those man. Only tightened by hand so we can rule out over tightened. Impact is possible, but it would be some real bad luck for that to happen lol
I think from memory it’s ryco filter

shanegtr

When I was doing my apprenticeship one of the fitters had the oil filter completely fail on his 75 series cruiser. Had been on for several thousand kms and just let go one morning on his way to work, so it can happen

Olelux

It sure can happen lol. Tho I’ve never had one crack. I’ve just had them blow off completely.

dno67

Poor quality materials would be my guess, that filter was probably a mazda or camira once. Filters do vibrate, ld be interested in seeing it cut open. The internals my have failed also.
We used to have them vibrate loose on hot holden 6s years ago, placing a large hose clamp around the filter stopped the problem.

shanegtr

Any ideas if the oil pressure is "normal"? Its possible that a faulty pressure relief valve could result in an over pressurized filter resulting in failure

Olelux

Any ideas if the oil pressure is "normal"? Its possible that a faulty pressure relief valve could result in an over pressurized filter resulting in failure
Haven’t got a oil pressure gauge in the old girl. Just a light. But that would make sense too

Petunia

I've never had an oil filter cark itself, but in my vast travels and speaking to many many trades and services one comes across lots of knowledge. A mechanic once cautioned me against using a filter with any signs of damage [dints] no matter how small/minor they appeared to be.

He had infact once installed a filter with the smallest mark on it, over time just building up oil pressure and then shutting the engine off [no oil pressure] expanded and contracted the filter by the width of a bee's proverbial until the result you see now, minus the big bang of chucking a leg out of bed, that his customers engine suffered.

Transport can/may be as ruff as gutz, shelves stacked, other customers accidentally drop items instore, it can happen. You can see the filter you have, i can only see the picture, but, to me looks to be 2 shiny spots on the outer edge? Regardless, its carked it, a reason might be nice, but it was an act of god, and just short of the big bang.:cool:

CTL

Yep, looks like impact damage on the top of the filter, two shiny marks, small dent.
And why is there a shiny mark, directly in line with the crack, on the bottom crimped end of the filter?

Petunia

Asking a dumb question? You bought a Smurf turbot, and associated bits, did you put the Smurf oil cooler onto the hilux engine?

Hilux =
Part Z9
Height Overall 139.00 mm
Seal Diameter 70.00 mm
Seam Diameter 94.00 mm
Thread 3/4-16-UNF-2B

Smurf =
Part Z334
Height Overall 126.00 mm
Seal Diameter 81.00 mm
Seam Diameter 105.00 mm
Thread M24-x1.5-6H

If you put the Smurf oil cooler on, did you reuse the gungy oil filter that shows in the pictures when you bought this setup?

a1bert

Any body remember King St Bridge? The casing is deep drawn steel, it's tensile strength would go thru the roof when made, similar to an aluminum can
So probably question the quality of the original blank and the end thickness, an aluminum blank would be more ductile tho
Bet there made in China where the quality control is high and they are not trying to scrimp on materials

Olelux

Asking a dumb question? You bought a Smurf turbot, and associated bits, did you put the Smurf oil cooler onto the hilux engine?

Hilux =
Part Z9
Height Overall 139.00 mm
Seal Diameter 70.00 mm
Seam Diameter 94.00 mm
Thread 3/4-16-UNF-2B

Smurf =
Part Z334
Height Overall 126.00 mm
Seal Diameter 81.00 mm
Seam Diameter 105.00 mm
Thread M24-x1.5-6H

If you put the Smurf oil cooler on, did you reuse the gungy oil filter that shows in the pictures when you bought this setup?
I did buy the smurf set up. Nope had a filter in the shed by chance. Didn’t even notice dings and dents.

dno67

Any body remember King St Bridge? The casing is deep drawn steel, it's tensile strength would go thru the roof when made, similar to an aluminum can
So probably question the quality of the original blank and the end thickness, an aluminum blank would be more ductile tho
Bet there made in China where the quality control is high and they are not trying to scrimp on materials
Could be wrong, but l think there manufactured in Malaysia. But yes, same same.