Corona virus

discomatt

No he just sold before prices crash when millions have severe side effects, sadly there can be no legal ramifications for vaccines that cause more harm than good due to the protection laws

synchro

You gotta love anti-vaccers - trial was a success with virtually no side effects but the same old rhetoric gets dragged out.

discomatt

Nothing to do with anti vaxxes, all my kids are fully vaccinated, if people want to simplify it to that I am not going to make waste my time
Vertually no side effects in a few 1000, wait till millions have the shots because 1 is not enough

rogerazz

4x4 Earth Contributer
Bit like Russian roulette???
Well here is the carrot.
I reckon the first one thousand volunteers, sorry patients, to have the vaccination/s should.
1. Receive $10,000.00 cash payment tax free for, havin a go, havin the guts, sick of it all, etc. etc.
2. Be free to travel all over Australia and overseas immediately.
And, wait for it..........
3. Will never ever have to wear a face mask again, unless at a fancy dress party, halloween, horror party, new years eve party, going into bank to withdraw money, or some sketchy premises were you don't want to be identified.

Colly18

There currently seems (to me) to be a lot of media attention about bringing Australian citizens back home before Xmas in this 2020 year of the Covid-19 pandemic. My recollection is a few months ago (august) the numbers were reported as 18,000 Australians stranded overseas and want to come home. Now we hear the number is 36,000(?) A few things about this got me thinking about what is happening and what it is to be an Australian Citizen. I have genuine feelings that many Australians have been 'caught out' and stuck overseas due to various circumstances and I believe we/government should do what we can to get them back home. However, I'm a bit concerned that there may be a large number of others, who have chosen to make their home and lives overseas, now suddenly wanting to return to Australia. I only hope they return with a genuine commitment to being Australian citizens, the same as as we expect from newly arriving migrants who seek citizenship (as detailed in the following link)

Warby

However, I'm a bit concerned that there may be a large number of others, who have chosen to make their home and lives overseas, now suddenly wanting to return to Australia. I only hope they return with a genuine commitment to being Australian citizens, the same as as we expect from newly arriving migrants who seek citizenship (as detailed in the following link)

Yup... Unfortunately I suspect that a majority of those who are "stuck" overseas at this point are those who either chose to live there and now just want to get back to Australia while the whole COVID debacle runs its course, or who decided to take a gamble and go visit relatives overseas in spite of COVID (or perhaps even because of it - through fear of not being able to see them again). Those who are overseas and stranded due to work or other circumstances outside of their control (See note, below) I believe would be in the minority.

But... regardless of reason, there's no way around it. Australian citizens are Australian citizens. The government has an obligation to assist them to return "home."

Note: I don't accept choosing not to return earlier, when the government strongly advised all Australians to do so, and then being "stuck" when the airlines reduced services is outside of their control - that's just a consequence of their own choice

Colly18

It's dual citizenship 'australians' who have chosen to live, work and make an overseas country home, yet now claim the Australian government is not doing enough to get them back to Australia once they have made a decision in 2020 that they now want to live in Australia for a while, that concerns me. The perks of having dual citizenship I guess?

Warby

It's dual citizenship 'australians' who have chosen to live, work and make an overseas country home, yet now claim the Australian government is not doing enough to get them back to Australia once they have made a decision in 2020 that they now want to live in Australia for a while, that concerns me. The perks of having dual citizenship I guess?

Yup. I think we are on the same page..

Albynsw

The thing is they have had plenty of warnings and opportunity to come back before and have chosen not to and now because it suits them want the gubberment to fix it for them
Our good friends son was holidaying in in Italy during the first part of the pandemic and it cost him $8000 to get a flight home and then went into isolation here for 14 days

Bigfish1

Roll up roll up (yer sleeves)

Covid Vaccine Approval UK

Great news, either the UK population will become zombies or we will have a decent chance of getting life back to normal.

Australia is taking a more careful approach to this vaccine and requiring a little more time. 6-8 weeks later at least before we will see it rolled out . We have enough zombies walking the streets now without adding to the population..o_O

Hope it works as suggested..2020 has been quite a shite year for many.

discomatt

Hasn’t even been tested on pregnant women or children yet, a disaster just waiting to happen but I hope it all works out for the better

Albynsw

Hasn’t even been tested on pregnant women or children yet, a disaster just waiting to happen but I hope it all works out for the better

Yes they normally test new drugs for several years not days. Hopefully all is good, one ugly head on my shoulders is enough, don’t have room for another

Bigfish1

We can afford to be a lot more careful. The UK is in a lot of trouble and desperate for a way out. Hope for their sake that all goes well.

Colly18

Interesting table. The worst 4 states are Democratsand the majority of the good performers are Republican.
Good Ol' Boys have spent a lot of the past year hunkered down in their doomsday prepper shelters! Makes sense there wouldn't be as much Covid there! (?) :) (Just kiddin' - I couldn't resist the bait you offered!)

Corndoggy

I thought the virus was under control in the good old US of A. After all the greatest leader of all time said, and let us believe that, "we have turned the corner, we have beaten this, it will start getting better from now". That was a month or so ago and today's figures are record breaking again, for infections and deaths. And some dude on the tele has just said that the next 3 months will bring something that the country has never seen in its history. Even bigger than that problem is that a good deal of the yanks still believe every word that comes out of that greatest goose of a leaders mouth.

peterfermtech

It's fine. Biden said "I'm going to issue a standing order that in federal buildings you have to be masked."
And that is the limit of the power of the president of the United States.
"Constitutional experts say a US president has no legal authority to order Americans to wear masks, but Mr Biden said during the interview he and his Vice-President Kamala Harris would set an example by donning face coverings."

Bigfish1

I thought the virus was under control in the good old US of A. After all the greatest leader of all time said, and let us believe that, "we have turned the corner, we have beaten this, it will start getting better from now". That was a month or so ago and today's figures are record breaking again, for infections and deaths. And some dude on the tele has just said that the next 3 months will bring something that the country has never seen in its history. Even bigger than that problem is that a good deal of the yanks still believe every word that comes out of that greatest goose of a leaders mouth.

Just on the news now...1 death every 30 seconds and things are expected to get a lot worse. Over by Easter and they have turned the corner. Only fools would believe what he has said. Read a very sad tale about loved ones dying and having to say goodbye via i-pads. Showed photos of many i-pads ready to use. The front line workers must be absolutely disgusted and disappointed in having to risk their lives to save those of many who treated the virus as a joke...1 death every 30 seconds is no joke. They,ll be praying to god that the vaccine is a goer..