Corona virus

discomatt

I can't go into all the details and I am not going to spend hours to find links but for years Australia has relied on mining, it provides over 50% of all exports. 18% of all Australian GDP is massive in anyone's language, a few years ago I read a report that stated Australia has the worlds weakest economy of all western nations if you exclude mining contributions hence my comment that WA will be OK

mikehzz

Going on other species, corona virus can be intermitently shed by recovered animals, thereby infecting new hosts. Cats can infect other cats for years while no longer being sick.themselves. It especially happens if the carrier is stressed. It would explain the NZ situation.

synchro

Because peterfermtech does not agree with what they said. Independent research has found that the ABC is the most balanced media network in the land.

peterfermtech

Because peterfermtech does not agree with what they said. Independent research has found that the ABC is the most balanced media network in the land.
So you are making assumptions on what you think my beliefs are.
Most of the article appears factual but as with conspiracy theories it is how you present those facts starting with sensationalist headlines. With figures showing around 40 million cases and only a few possible reinfections maybe the headline should read something like "Statistically you are very unlikely to get reinfected". Sensationalism and science shouldn't be mixed.

G_ute

One is The Lancet, a medical journal for the medical industry, the other is the ABC for Joe Public.
Where are the articles from The Australian, Courier Mail, Herald Sun, The Age, etc, to compare?

peterfermtech

So are you suggesting the journalist got her story from those media sources? She did quote 2 respected researchers and maybe they tweet with a fair degree of sensationalism as I haven't read their twitter feeds. Or is it just that she added her spin to the story so that Joe Public might read it?

I'll give you a quote from another paper regarding reinfection;
"The fact that out of 25 million infected persons worldwide only a handful of re-infected cases have been identified suggests that this is a rare phenomenon." https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7528892/
Hardly the message the journalist was portraying.

synchro

I thought there were only two confirmed cases of reinfection on the world. It was confirmed because when the patients presented second time around it was of a different strain to the first time. Of all the other reported cases, the second time around the strain was the same as the first and it cannot be confirmed as a reinfection and is most likely the same initial infection and not a reinfection.

peterfermtech

I thought there were only two confirmed cases of reinfection on the world. It was confirmed because when the patients presented second time around it was of a different strain to the first time. Of all the other reported cases, the second time around the strain was the same as the first and it cannot be confirmed as a reinfection and is most likely the same initial infection and not a reinfection.
also
Not exactly sure. This one in Nevada is confirmed and I believe the ones in Hong Kong and Ecuador also had different strains but the one in Israel doesn't appear to have been sequenced. Also the ones in Belgium and the Netherlands appear to be different strains.
But I guess if you get 40 million people there has got to be a few that are a little different.

Albynsw

My wife has a cousin in England who got Covid back in about April, he would be mid 40’s and to my knowledge has no health issues
He just told my wife that his body has not recovered yet and has had to take voluntary redundancy from work as he couldn’t hack it anymore

Corndoggy

There is a doctor from a hospital in Melbourne who contacted it months ago. 32 years old in good health. Ended up in intensive care on a ventilator for days. He was in a bad way. He "recovered", though it took a while. He took an extra month off to help himself more. They say now that after seeing a few patients that is all he can handle.

Corndoggy

LMAO. Please don't start me up on that knucklehead. Do I think he had the virus, no. Do I think he is a superb specimen of a human being, no. Do I think he is full of s**t, yes.

mikehzz

Pfizer released the results of their successful vaccine trials earlier in the week and the CEO sold 62% of his shares at a record high price on the same day. Is he getting out in case people start growing a 3rd eye or something down the track after taking it? :)

discomatt

No he just sold before prices crash when millions have severe side effects, sadly there can be no legal ramifications for vaccines that cause more harm than good due to the protection laws